Drinking water while exercising - now it's bad for you - another study mucks things up.

Options
13»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Water - the new sugar.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Water - the new sugar.

I'm addicted and need to detox...perhaps a beer will do the trick.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Water - the new sugar.

I'm addicted and need to detox...perhaps a beer will do the trick.

Beer works - but slowly and mass quantities are needed.
    Bourbon, on the other hand, detoxes much faster.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    All the more reason to drink vodka then?

Weak.
    It still has 60% water...
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    I spent a summer on the Sinai peninsula ( 110+ degrees ) when I was in the US Army. I was an Infantryman, and we trained every day. We did forced hydration 12 hrs a day, 7 days a week. The hottest parts of the day, it was a quart or more of water an hour.

Drinking that amount of water makes you physically ill ( sick to your stomach ), to the point you have to force yourself to choke it down. And that's not even half of what you would have to consume in order to achieve water intoxication.

Its just not gonna happen in the gym or on a jog.
    Did you have to use the bathroom constantly or did you sweat it all out?

The area is generally a dry heat most of the time ( very low average humidity ), and I don't specifically remember a large increase in trips to the latrine, so I would have to say the majority of the additional hydration was removed exothermically.

Also of note, we weren't required to take additional supplementation for electrolytes; just ate the typical military mess hall diet - higher calories and typically more fat than the TAD.