tip for ladies in a clothes funk trying to lose weight

Options
I'm trying something new here that I think a lot of you ladies (sorry guys, unless you are in to ladies fashions) might think is a totally awesome solution to the fat clothes problem. Le Tote is a company that sends you rental clothes from nice brands for a monthly fee. If you are plus size, I have heard good things about Gywnnie Bee (and seen some cute clothes in person) which is why I decided to find a regular sizes option and found Le Tote.

I am not associated with either company in anyway besides being a customer myself, I just think many woman probably feel like me in not wanting to invest in bigger clothes...particularly more expensive ones...when we are trying to lose weight. The result is we feel like crap in our clothes and hate getting dressed in the morning.

I'm currently waiting for my first shipment, which contains 5 items. For the monthly fee ($49 which when I think about what I spend on crappy clothes that I end up donating doesn't seem too bad) I get unlimited shipments of 5 items everytime I send my last shipment back when I'm done wearing them and they do the washing too.

To me, this seems like the perfect way to get some fashionable, in-season clothes I feel good in and not commit to the size. If you use this refferal link you get $25 off your first month (which I wish I'd had when I joined but se la vie) letote.com/r/FD44B9/default/default/default_referral/1436280266

It's also month to month, so there's no commitment if it doesn't work for you. I hope this makes some other ladies out there as happy as I think it's going to make me! Can't wait for that first tote!

Make it a great day!

Replies

• MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Rent-A-Swag for weight loss! I LOVE it!
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I totally though of that too! :-) Love that show.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Huh. I've been doing Goodwill but I'm tucking this away as I am always looking for something nice for a date night or whathaveyou. Wonder if im in their size range.
  • CaitlinW19
    Options
    They go up to size 14. I think this is perfect for that type of thing...or the wedding you need a dress for that you know you are only going to wear once!
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I utilized Thrift Stores, a lot more fun.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    i sell my fat clothes on kijiji and buy and sell groups,then buy new or used ones,then sell again....works for me :)
  • CaitlinW19
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Those are great ideas too. I've heard thrifting is really tough for plus sizes...not much selection and very little nice things. This is also a good option for someone without much time for shopping. Every little thing we can do to feel confident and beautiful :-)
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've tried GwynnieBee - not bad, but the sizing could be off and turnaround times were a little slow (when you've got to turn around and send them back, and wait for another item to be catalogued and ship to you, it took a week or so - if the sizing wasn't accurate, it wasted half of my month in transit). Also, the fees were a little high for me.

I've heard good things about Stitch Fix (but I think that may work a little differently?) If you have a Clothes Mentor around, I've always gotten good deals on some pretty new name-brand items there.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! Gywnnie Bee goes from size 10-32 so I think I'll start there!
  • CaitlinW19
    Options
    Great info! I have friends that do Stitch Fix (and love it) but in that case you are purchasing what gets sent if you like it, not renting it. I believe you get three days to send the items you don't want back. Different but still a cool service, especially for the very busy or those that don't have access to a lot of shopping.

Looks like there is a Clothes Mentor near me. I'll have to try!
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    CaitlinW19 wrote: »
    Great info! I have friends that do Stitch Fix (and love it) but in that case you are purchasing what gets sent if you like it, not renting it. I believe you get three days to send the items you don't want back. Different but still a cool service, especially for the very busy or those that don't have access to a lot of shopping.

Looks like there is a Clothes Mentor near me. I'll have to try!

Oh, thanks, then - remind me never to sign up for Stitch Fix. My procrastination with mailing things would KILL my budget there.

I also really like Dress Barn - true, you're buying the clothes, but if you have the card and sign up for text messages, I literally get a discount code every few days from them, plus they have special 'dollars' to use towards purchases after you earn them. I have never paid full price for anything and I find their prices pretty reasonable. I figure as soon as I need to buy a smaller size, I'll sell the stuff I purchased on a local FB group. I won't get full price, obviously, but items typically turn around fairly quickly on those groups if they're priced right.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,099 Member
    Options
    I utilized Thrift Stores, a lot more fun.

This is my method too. :)

But renting clothes is an interesting idea.

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I just bought more clothes as I lost. I knew most would be temporary, but for the first time in years I was enjoying clothes shopping lol.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Neat idea, I can see the use for it.

I also just got new stuff on sale (serious sale, like most of it was discounted 2-3 times) and lived with a limited wardrobe. Also I wore stuff in simple styles that bridged me across sizes - mostly looser tunics and dresses that I could belt and wear with leggings/tights; men's style shirts. I still sometimes wear T shirt dresses a size too big, because I like it :)

Jeans were a pain to have to buy, though.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I take it this is just for the 'mericans?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    $50 a month is more than I spend now. I buy from WalMart, Columbia, LL Bean and Lands' End, then I sell the shorts on eBay. All my shirts get snagged by the cat, so they get given away/donated along with the Walmart clothes.

If anyone else wants to sell theirs...my Columbia shorts (which are always less than a year old and people can usually spot the newer stuff) always sell in 24-36 hours. The LL Bean stuff always goes within a week or two. Lands' End stuff takes longer and colored stuff always swells faster than black, brown, tan and white stuff.

I wish more people would sell their used clothes so I'd have more to pick from! It's good if they're donating, though. Mega props on helping each other out! (I just really wish there were more clothes on eBay.)
  • CaitlinW19
    edited July 2015
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I take it this is just for the 'mericans?

Not sure, but I would guess so. They use priority 2 day shipping, and I would imagine that may not apply outside the US...

I know I don't spend 50 dollars every month now, but I bet I spend 600 a year and most of the clothes are not high quality. Can put the membership on hold at any time too, so I will probably take a breaks here and there.