Tips for progressing from 5 km to 10 km runs

Options
2»

Replies

• unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    Test it out on a running machine so that you can stop at any stage after 5K and see how far you can go. I used to run 10K in 37 mins and did most of my training on a running machine. For Shin Splints make sure to ice your legs to reduce inflammation and do calf raises on the bottom of your stairs to strengthen them. I had them too and they are bloody awful.

Luckily I've not suffered this year with shin splints, I think in equal parts because I took it more gentle this time around and because I've been doing strength training (Inc. Squats, lunges, step-ups etc) which has helped to generally strengthen my legs. Should I start getting them again though I will make sure I have an ice pack in the freezer and back off a bit on the run quantity/duration.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    BTW, if you want more structure, check out Hal Higdon's Novice 10K plan. It involves three weekly runs plus cross training. If you can do 5K, you can make the Tuesday and Thursday runs a bit longer. Cross training is helpful because it builds your aerobic base with less stress than running puts on your bones, muscles, and connective tissue.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Go slow for sure. For all your runs. Build your aerobic base.

Do you have a heart rate monitor? If so, try 180 - your age = target maximum heart rate (i.e. 149) for your go slow runs - so between 139 and 149 BPM.

If not, use the talk-test. You should be able to carry on something of a conversation while running your slower aerobic base building pace... out-loud of course, without gasping for air or feeling like you need to slow down further. Run with a buddy to test, talk to a dog (let us know if the dog talks back, mine does sometimes).

If at all possible join a running group or a meet-up with experienced runners and try to get some read on your current form. As you build time / mileage / volume out there, your form becomes more and more important both in making you a more efficient runner but most importantly to help protect you from injury. Form problems aren't strictly related to stride but taking too long a stride is certainly common.

If you aren't suffering from injury and haven't had problems for some time, you'll probably find you progress to 10K faster than you'd expect. Go slow, read up / get advice on form, be sure to take rest days, and have tons of fun! :smiley:
  • initialsdeebee
    initialsdeebee Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Depending what kind of place you live in, think of a nice, scenic, interesting route that is roughly 10k, maybe with a small hill or landmark that you want to tackle and work toward completing that route. The gradual increase and online running plans can all apply to this, but I think it matters to make your run enjoyable and entertaining. This is how I put on distance. I think, "hmm, maybe today I could make it around the cemetery AND THEN connect to downtown, or come back on that one walking path or trail that I haven't totally explored yet" --stuff like that. Makes it a more zen and groovy journey. Ultimately though, just keep on running and get into the rhythm of it.