Calling all Fellow Men between 45-55

Give or take a few years. I'm specifically targeting those who are into strength training (building muscle, losing body fat). What do some of your workout regiments look like? How often do you mix a little cardio with your strength training? Do you use any supplements?

I just started to seriously lift weights a little over two years ago and am very proud of the definition that I've gained. However, it's come at a bit of a price. I do get the occasional back flareups and shoulder soreness. I'm interested to hear how you cope with soreness as well.

To women who lift, feel free to chime in as well.

Replies

• MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Im out of the age bracket your thread is geard towarss, but i gotta say, whatever youre doing, keep doing it....you look great!
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    ready4_50 wrote: »
    Give or take a few years. I'm specifically targeting those who are into strength training (building muscle, losing body fat). What do some of your workout regiments look like? How often do you mix a little cardio with your strength training? Do you use any supplements?

I just started to seriously lift weights a little over two years ago and am very proud of the definition that I've gained. However, it's come at a bit of a price. I do get the occasional back flareups and shoulder soreness. I'm interested to hear how you cope with soreness as well.

To women who lift, feel free to chime in as well.

I'm a 51 yo man. I'm fairly new to strength training and just finding my way (started a few months back), but I'm beginning to see some benefit with some increased muscle endurance, some increased strength and better definiton, especially in my arms and chest. I also have found that strength training has helped me heal a lingering (9-month old) knee injury and a lingering (5-year old) shoulder injury.

Because of some current work and family issues, I can't always meet my goal of getitng to the gym 3x week to train. However, when I can't get to the gym I do try to get some other fitness activity in even if it's cutting the grass or walking.

My workout is a lower body and upper body (combined) workout on strength training machines at the gym. It normally takes me about an hour. I usually do lower/moderately heavy weights with increased reps. Typically 10 exercises x 3 sets per exercise x 10 to 20 reps per set.

I've had some minor back pain, some minor shoulder pain and some minor elbow pain at different times over the past few months, but never severe or limiting. One of the reasons I use strength training machines and lift lighter weights is so that I can understand and better my form, and so I don't want to injure myself.

Some people have commented to me that I should lift free weights as opposed to utilizing strength training equipment. Perhaps they're reight. But at my age and place in life, I find that's it's important that I do this (fitness/strength training) for me. I'm not out to impress anyone or to compare myself to anyone. I want to compare myself to myself and get better over time. I've seen how obesity has ruined the bodies of family and friends, some who've died younger than they should have. I'm determined to do/be the best I can be.

• Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    edited July 2015
    48 here.

30 mins of elliptical to start (always) - then go to full body work out - 3 sets of 10 for each body part (~60 mins).

I do this every other day as I need 48 hours to recover.

Sometimes on alternate days I just do 30 mins of cardio / elliptical.

For me, the days of working on body parts on different days of the week are over. If you are overly sore or injuring yourself, it may be time to back off a bit...we don't recover like we used to!

Supplements: Vit C, D, Co Q10, Fish or Flax seed oil pills (not often enough) - I want to start Chromium Picolinate again - it helped me in the past (or so I think). Isopure protein mix on workout days.

Edit: Forgot to mention - I have a sedentary job and my caloric requirements have dropped through the floor as I have aged. I easily get by on 1200 cal per day even with the exercise, though I am dropping weight, which is needed. I guess 1500-1600 is maintenance for me.

R
  • jnoegrah
    jnoegrah Posts: 119 Member
    I work out 6 days a week, 5 of days targeting specific areas. every other day, i try to squeeze a little running in. On the 6th day, i do a 4 to 5 mile run depending on my mood.

When i have back pain (lower to be exact), i lay off heavy workouts.

I take creatine and protein shakes. Multivites when i diet though I'm not as strict on my diet as much anymore because i hated feeling hungry all the time. So i watch what i eat and don't indulge. i figure if it came down to it, i can start a diet to cut up but i haven't felt the need in awhile.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,877 Member
    Thanks for the input gentlemen. I looked into creatine but I was told that if you're on blood pressure meds (which I am), it's not a good idea to take them. I actually use dumbbells and will only use the machines unless I really have to. Only time I use barbells is when I am doing deadlifts. I've actually rested since Saturday and will probably skip again today because of a nagging lower back injury.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,877 Member
    MisterZ33 wrote: »
    Im out of the age bracket your thread is geard towarss, but i gotta say, whatever youre doing, keep doing it....you look great!

Misterz33, what a cool thing to say, man. Thanks. I'm still a work in progress but I am in a much better place at 48 than I was at a38 that's for certain.