NSV - I'm a former mid-back of the packer who just ran a 23:31 5K!

Options
arussell134
arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
A little bit about me: last year, I achieved my weight loss goal thanks to three things: 1) being patient/sensible in my approach 2) using MFP to log my calories and 3) running!

I've always considered myself a "slow runner," but I noticed after several months of losing weight and consistently working out 5-6 days per week, my times naturally dropped off. To give you an idea, my 5k times (from years ago) were around 33-34 minutes.

Well last Thanksgiving I decided to really push myself and I ended up finishing with a 5K time of 26:24. I was thrilled, but knew I could continue to improve. One of my 2015 resolutions was to break 25 minutes. In February, I ran a 25:02 cross country 5K. Then in March, I ran a 25:08. I knew I was sooo close and I was honestly a bit frustrated! Then I got injured and had to take a step back, went to physical therapy, rested, and built my strength.

Slowly I started running again and I was surprised how quickly my fitness has returned. On Saturday I ended up running another 5K! I found a course billed as "fast" because it was a net downhill. Fast it was - I came in at 23:31, which is an average pace of about 7:35 minutes per mile!

a4my4w.jpg

I wanted to share this not merely to toot my own horn, but to encourage others out there, too. Often we discount our ability with our attitudes and thoughts. We say things like "I'm just a slow runner" or "I'll never be athletic" or "I could never do X." These things often end up being self-fulfilling prophecies. My challenge to you: start telling yourself you are capable. That you're fast. That you're strong. That you will beat your goals. Then step back and see what happens.

Good luck!

Replies

• hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!I completely agree with the positive attitude. I took up running almost 4 years ago for basically the same reasons. I haven't tried a 5k or 10k since last year, but my last half marathon was 1:41:14, or about 7:45 pace. Now, I'm looking to improve a little more so I can qualify for Boston, where I currently need a 3:30
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    That's really awesome! Congrats and you have a great attitude!

Im trying to bring down my 1-mile split on a 6 mile run...Its really true that we discount ourselves. Personally, I used to say, I will never be as fast as I was pre-kids but slowly plugging along towards my goal.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Excellent job!
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    hermann341 wrote: »
    Awesome job!I completely agree with the positive attitude. I took up running almost 4 years ago for basically the same reasons. I haven't tried a 5k or 10k since last year, but my last half marathon was 1:41:14, or about 7:45 pace. Now, I'm looking to improve a little more so I can qualify for Boston, where I currently need a 3:30

I would LOVE a half marathon time like that! My next half is in Jan, and I'm hoping to run it under 2 hours. I'd love to qualify for Boston someday. Good luck!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!