Low impact exercises for someone with a bad ankle

Options
I have really bad ankles and one really hurts right now. Are there any low impact exercises that I can do now in the comfort of my own home without buying expensive equipment? I'm also really obese, so the easier the exercise, the better.

Replies

• krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    How about biking? I realize that's not IN your home but that's pretty low impact - when I injured my knee, we started with a stationary bike in physical therapy!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Swimming, rowing (on a machine), or elliptical--if you can put weight on your ankle.

Edit: but of course that would not be in the comfort of your home. There's not a lot you can do without equipment at home, apart from calisthenics or yoga. So I guess you have to look into those.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Swimming and aqua-fitness classes are the best for no impact workout.
  • joj7bat
    joj7bat Posts: 30
    Options
    Pretend boxing - or air punches. It gets your heart rate up and you can do it sitting down.
  • Amyp7777
    Amyp7777 Posts: 79
    Options
    Look into "Wheelchair workouts" on YouTube. They are great for people with lower body injuries. I'm doing them myself lately because I have a broken foot.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Do sitting cardio. When I hurt my ankle, I did zumba and kickboxing sitting down. I just did the upper body parts and kind of marched my feet with the rhythm.
  • uortian
    uortian Posts: 28
    Options
    I just posted something about having an injury and looking for low impact workouts. I broke my leg and ankle last summer and had some surgeries on both. I had a metal rod and screws put into my left leg, so I totally understand where you're coming from. A friend recommended doing Pilates and mentioned that You Tube has a lot of good videos for beginniners. I just did one this morning. It's a POP Pilates workout for beginners. It seemed easy enough. I literally just grabbed a towel and laid it out on my carpet and began my workout. 30 minutes later I was feeling the aches, but in a good way.

I recommend taking walks, as well. I live in town that doesn't really have parks and lots of places to walk out in the open, but walking has always helped me slim down and stay active. We recently bought an elliptical, too. I get in about 20 minutes in the afternoons and it does help me work up a sweat. I don't feel any pain in my injured leg or ankle, either.

Hope this helps!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Numa numa dance. I love that guy. I wish someone woulda given him a reality show or something.
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Pretend boxing - or air punches. It gets your heart rate up and you can do it sitting down.

^ this & swimming. You'll probably find your ankles aren't as bad once the weight the weight starts coming off and you will be able do more activities. Also add in some strength trainging to increase your muscle mass. Muscle burns more calories than fat so adding muscle mass will boost what your body burns to stay alive. Plus you will look better as the weight comes off if your muscles are toned. Don't worry about getting bulky, women don't have the testosterone levels necessary to bulk up. Strengthening the muscles in your legs will help your ankles too.

If you can get to a pool - the Y, a community pool or high scool pools usually have open & lap swim for a few dollars a session - swimming is the best for minimizing the impact on your leg joints but still getting a good cardio workout. The water also provides resistance to tone your muscles as you swim so it's provides a cardio workout - if you get your heart rate up - and strength training at the same time. Sparkpeople.com has lots of great free videos on their website for cardio & strength training at any fitness level also.

Set a goal to do x amount of activity daily, then increase the time by 5 or 10 minutes each week. Once you get up to 45 minutes or so, increase the intensity. Good luck!