Favorite smart fabrics for summer? (Cheaper is better but not required...)

Options
MamaBirdBoss
MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Ran in the heat. Did not do so well. LOL. I like to cover up because I'm deathly pale. Suggestions as to your favorite wicking fabrics for summer? Official SPF a bonus.

Replies

• UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    After wearing wicking fabrics for the last 14 years (that's how long I've been running), I am back to old school. Wool is where it's at!!!! Merino wool, that is. Non-itchy, cool in the summer, warm in the winter. You don't get chilled when it's soaking wet (did a 50 miler and it poured for 9 hours, straight). You can literally wear it for days on end without washing it because it doesn't smell!! It's not cheap but you can find it on Ebay and Sierra Trading Post. Icebreaker is the brand that I've been buying. I've been slowly buying a few pieces at a time. I wear it to work, as well!! B)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    For hot, humid runs, I love the Saucony Hydralite shirts. They're really light-weight so even when totally drenched in sweat, they don't weigh hardly anything and there's no chafing. Also Underarmour makes some SPF tops, and I have one that has about 1/4 or 1/2 length sleeves. I like those for humid runs that aren't quite so hot.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    Thanks, folks! :D
  • cwilso37
    cwilso37 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of Under Armour. A lot of their heatgear line matches what you want. Another choices would be Callaway. I know it seems odd to suggest a golf or polo shirt, but they stretch, and a lot of the same properties you want. Oddest one- Hawaiian shirts. While they do not whick the sweat away, they are really light and with the right fabric airy.The airyness helps keep me cool on such days.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    Thanks!