Exercise and Eating

Options
How long after eating should I wait before exercising?

Also does it matter how soon I eat after a workout?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    It's all down to personal preference. As long as you meet your macros, you should be fine.
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You'll see all different answers from different people. I personally prefer to do a fasted workout but that's because Im at the gym at 5am. If I'm working I can't get there till about 3pm and I start work at 5am so I nirmally have lunch about 1pm I normally have salad as it's got plenty of carbs. I'm always tired after work so that gives me a bit of energy in the gym. After the gym I like to have something to eat as soon as possible so about half an hour after I finish by the time I get home. Some say that your body takes in nutrients better after a workout as your body is still burning after it but I'm not totally sure if that's true.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The nutritionist that gave us a tour of Sobey's recommended having a carb-heavy snack an hour to half an hour before a workout.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A lot less food is needed than most people think. An acquaintance who does half marathons carries a handful of gummy bears with her on her run. That's all she needs for fuel.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    The first is a personal preference thing. I'd rather lift/run a little hungry than right after a big meal. But it's really about what works for you.

Eating after a workout... well.. the age old "you need to injest protein within 20 minutes of a workout" is what most people go by... but more and more research is coming out showing that nutrient timing isn't really a real thing. Your body has plenty of reserves to recharge itself if you can't eat for awhile after working out.

The one thing I will caution... when I was training for a 25K I noticed I was actually putting on weight. My long runs were 7-14 miles. I would never eat right after. But about an hour later, I was beyond ravenous... I'd tell myself "oh i just ran 11 miles, calories don't matter right now" Wrong. Then I'd eat whatever I wanted. So if you have intense workouts, try to eat soon after to help keep you from doing what I did (acting like the cookie monster and shoveling food in).
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Part of it depends on the workout you are doing. My workouts are very cardio intense. I never eat less than an hour before -- 1.5 to 2 hours before if it's more than a small snack -- or I feel like I'm gonna puke.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    A lot less food is needed than most people think. An acquaintance who does half marathons carries a handful of gummy bears with her on her run. That's all she needs for fuel.

That sounds about right. When exercising, you shouldn't try to consume more than about 30-60 grams of carbohydrates per hour, not because you don't burn through more than that, but your body simply can't process more than that.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The nutritionist that gave us a tour of Sobey's recommended having a carb-heavy snack an hour to half an hour before a workout.

That will cut fat oxidation nicely. #fail
  • dondotwinks
    dondotwinks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If i go for a fast walk or to the gym within 30 mins of eating i actually go dizzy about half way through
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference, it's all about your preference and what your body likes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I never eat or drink anything but water for a half marathon. For a marathon I would.

I don't do them fasted, though--I usually have a light breakfast before.

My issue with eating before a workout is simply whether it makes me feel stronger or whether it interferes with the workout. I prefer to eat before but not right before, but for a morning run (shorter than 8-10 miles) I'm happy to do it fasted if I don't have time to wait. For lifting I'd likely eat at least something.

As for after I eat whenever my next planned meal is, but quite often my schedule works out so I do eat right after.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    NerdyNix wrote: »
    How long after eating should I wait before exercising?

Also does it matter how soon I eat after a workout?

Wait until you feel ok and not too full, and you should eat when you're hungry. Unless you're training for a powerlifting competition it really doesn't matter as long as you feel fueled for your workouts and clearheaded and strong afterwards. As noted above, if you find yourself blindly nomming on everything in sight, you may have waited too long.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't like working out without food....not saying I would eat a turkey dinner and then go work out....I eat a yogurt before my walk/run usually but will eat a full dinner and wait 15-20mins before I lift.
  • dondotwinks
    dondotwinks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If i go for a fast walk or to the gym within 30 mins of eating i actually go dizzy about half way through

Please have this checked out by a doctor. Digestion places a load on the cardiovascular system and you might be experiencing a mild synacope (dizzy, lightheaded feeling) due to a drop in blood pressure when you try to pair strenuous exercise with digesting, especially a larger meal.

(Please don't be alarmed, synacope could result from simple things too, such as dehydration, fatigue, etc. but it is not a bad idea to get a check up.)

Thanks i will get that checked.