Giving up

LYNSTR64
LYNSTR64 Posts: 5 Member
I quit smoking 5 months ago, gained 50 pounds, extremely depressed and ready to give up and smoke again! Anyone else give up and smoke again? I have withdrawn from life and my marriage is in jeopardy from feeling so horrible about myself. Just feel like it is all a mess, I am tired and feel defeated and not ready to fight for anything. Each day is such a struggle and burden. Never knew quitting smoking would turn my world upside down.

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Oh no, I'm sorry.
  • thecoker
    thecoker Posts: 34 Member
    Smoking is NOT worth it! There are so many health reasons, but also, maybe we can find a way to turn that into motivation to find something else to do in its place! I'd be happy to help you on this journey. I am able to log on Mon-Fri usually... feel free to 'friend' me if you are interested in my input! ;) It WILL get better! Fight that negativity!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    edited July 2015
    No don't give up. I used an electronic cigarette and the day I picked up one of those, was the last time I held a cigarette in my hand. That was going on 5 years ago.
    I would truly advise just keeping going without smoking but if you're at the point where you're going to just throw in the towel, try an EC without nicotine. It'll satisfy the hand-to-mouth thing and also may help curb hunger. They make some tasty flavors! :)
  • thecoker
    thecoker Posts: 34 Member
    (Yes, I have been a smoker and quit.)
  • fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    I have quit and did indeed gain weight, it was a struggle and I cant sugar coat it, its still a struggle. It took me several years to even care but when I got myself on track it was the best thing Ive ever did.
    All of California has 1 800 NO BUTTS (1 800 662 8887) and here in Orange County we have TUPP : http://ochealthinfo.com/phs/about/promo/tupp
    All major cities and counties should have many resources for help on the whole journey and not just a quit date.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    I quit in 2013 and have since lost a good amount of weight.

You could start smoking again - but that's not going to fix any of the issues you listed in your post. So I don't see the point.

If I were you, my first step would be to a doctor to talk about what's going on in life and get some help.
  • KatkaDuckling
    KatkaDuckling Posts: 7 Member
    Don't give up. It's not worth it. I used to smoke for more that 10 years and I gave up. You can do it too!
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Sorry you are feeling this way, it is not an easy thing to do, I quit once and for all, 15 years ago cold turkey. Before than I tried at least a dozen times, sometimes it would last a couple days sometimes it would last a couple months. After watching my mom die of lung cancer (I was only 27) I found out 3 weeks after we buried her that I was pregnant with my first child. I decided it was time. Yes I was a real *kitten* for the better part of a year, I felt like giving up, my spouse who smoked wanted me to start up again but I didn't. I gained a lot of weight, which I am now getting rid of. Stay strong you can do this. maybe tackle one thing at time, first the smoking than the weight? Your health is important, you are important. I wish you much success
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    edited July 2015
    LYNSTR64 wrote: »
    I quit smoking 5 months ago, gained 50 pounds, extremely depressed and ready to give up and smoke again! Anyone else give up and smoke again? I have withdrawn from life and my marriage is in jeopardy from feeling so horrible about myself. Just feel like it is all a mess, I am tired and feel defeated and not ready to fight for anything. Each day is such a struggle and burden. Never knew quitting smoking would turn my world upside down.

I quit a 3 pack a day habit exactly 402 days ago. I used nicotine patches for the first month, and then the gum.
    I've lost about 55 pounds since that day (so far 82 pounds total)- I just decided that since I was working on losing weight it was just dumb for me substitute food for cigarettes, since both were unhealthy behaviors.

The first few months were more difficult, but each day I just became more determined than ever to be a non-smoker.

Truly, I feel like I've been given a second chance at life. Every aspect of my life has improved since I quit cigs. I can breathe so much better. I have the stamina I had in my 30s. My teeth are white. I don't stink like cigs (and no matter what you think-if you smoke others can smell you). My car stays clean. I think you get the picture.

The best thing I did was join the QuitNet program online. There were weekly or even daily phone calls from quit-coaches. It REALLY helped!

My only regret in my life was that I ever started smoking. I was only 14 and I didn't quit until I was 57. I should've quit long, long ago. Now it just seems insane to me to even think about starting again.

Find a support group and most of all-have confidence that you CAN STAY QUIT.

• FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    I quit in 2013 and have since lost a good amount of weight.

You could start smoking again - but that's not going to fix any of the issues you listed in your post. So I don't see the point.

If I were you, my first step would be to a doctor to talk about what's going on in life and get some help.

^^^Great advise!

• bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Congratulations for quitting smoking! You should feel pretty proud of yourself! You accomplished that now you can accomplish this too. Start by eating healthier and exercising. You can do this!!!!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I watched my stepfather's mother die of lung cancer from smoking when I was a little girl. It was enough to make me never even remotely interested in trying a cigarette.

Quitting smoking is a hard hard thing and you should be proud of your accomplishment. Oka so you gained some weight. YOu can loose that weight a lot more easily than you lost the smoking habit. You might need to consider talking to a therapist to deal with your feelings. But you ca do it, once you decide to. After all you already picked up and succeeded at the more difficult challenge right? So... obviously you are totally badass at handling big challanges.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Don't give up! You can do this! I work daily with patients who suffer awful respiratory diseases from smoking. Go through the tough weight loss because that will make you stronger, and not endanger your health.

Take your days one at a time and start logging and tracking. Make that your new habit! Don't be afraid to seek professional help as others have suggested!
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited July 2015
    I am so grateful I quit smoking over 19 years ago... and it took me 10 years of really trying to quit for good. Please think of how your future, healthy self will thank you if you just fight back against this depression with healthy eating and above all, regular exercise which will raise your spirits biologically. It takes a long time ... at least a year ... before you are really able to begin to feel free from the claws of nocotine. Be patient, be persistent, you WILL feel better. Try acupuncture and hypnosis to support your efforts at staying quit and beginning to lose some of the weight gain. Both will also help you rise up from this dark cloud of depression.