Front of shin discomfort while running

Options
on my past couple of runs the front of my shins have been a bit sore/uncomfortable. As soon as I popped it into google it said 'shin splints stop running' but it's only mild and stops after I get home and stretch. I'm on a beginners walk-run programme and only on my 5th run! How can I strengthen/stretch my shins to stop the pain and prevent shin splints?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I like this post
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/322021/help-with-your-shin-splints

Personally, I would not stop, especially if they are mild. When I started running, the advice I was given was to stop. I got nowhere. I'd run, get shin splints, stop, run, get shin splints, stop. I was running for a fitness test and finally got to the point where I HAD to run. I eventually ran through them. It was painful as anything but I did.
    I don't recommend that but I would recommend continuing to run but making changes like running on a softer surface for a while, cutting back on distance if needed, etc.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Shin splints in new runners are not uncommon! With that said, try icing after runs (20 on/20 off) and make sure not to increase your mileage too quickly. The beginners program should hopefully increase you at an appropriate rate.

If the pain gets worse, consult a doctor or physical therapist!
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Thank you - that's exactly it I don't want to stop because the pain would just start again when I started back up! I know they are quite common in beginners - I'm not sure how you tell if it's just a bit of pain or shin splints? Is all shin pain shin splints??
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    did you get assessed for decent running shoes?
  • nicola8989
    Options
    I did get fitted for shoes but they only made me walk not run so I think maybe I need to go somewhere where they test my running gait
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to get going with the C25K program, but face the same issue. I get to Day 2 or 3 and my shins start hurting and I need to rest for days or cut runs short. I am still pretty heavy and thought maybe that was the issue. I live close to the wonderful running trails by the Mississippi River in Minneapolis and desperately want to be a runner. Except for the shin issues, I enjoy running. I don't want to accept that I need to wait until I lose weight.

I have tried icing after my run and that seems to help the recovery time. However, I still have pain during my run which makes it hard to run for longer. I heard that compression socks may help. Anyone have experience with these for helping shin pain DURING their run?
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone here has said. When I started c25k, I had some moderate shin pain as well. I have a history of sport related shin splits partially due to the shape of my arches. But I went to a running store, had my gait tested, bought real running shoes, and just kept with the running program. Running a few days a week with rest days in between builds up your strength, and the shin pain was gone by week 2 for me. So, I'd just make sure your beginning program has rest days built in for recovery while your body strengthens up.

Now I just need to get better at stretching my calves...
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    These worked for me, wear them while running and up to a few hours after.
    serjakodhkjn.jpeg
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    nicola8989 wrote: »
    Thank you - that's exactly it I don't want to stop because the pain would just start again when I started back up! I know they are quite common in beginners - I'm not sure how you tell if it's just a bit of pain or shin splints? Is all shin pain shin splints??

All shin pain is not necessarily shin splints, but it's the most likely considering the scenario. If you carefully monitor it and consult a professional if you're not getting relief, you'll be okay.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I had some shin discomfort when I started jogging and then later, when I started C25K. It felt like muscular soreness. When I was jogging (without a program), I merely took walking breaks when the muscles on the front of my lower leg felt tight/sore. Same thing with C25K. It went away as I got in better shape.

I stuck to the program and never ran more than was recommended.

It didn't occur to me that it could possibly be shin splints rather than muscle fatigue. Hm.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Very common in new runners. Walk down hills for a few weeks instead of running . Stretch by walking 10 yards on your tippy toes, 10 yards on your heels with your toes lifted, 10 yards on the outside of your feet and 10 yards on the inside. Repeat. Do this before or after runs for a week or two.
  • nicola8989
    Options
    this is fab, thank you everyone - cblue is the picture compression socks?

I really don't want to give up or rest, I feel like I'm finally starting to get a bit better. My programme does involve walking when I need to and it's led by a professional

I will definitely go and get my gait tested again as I never ran in the store I only walked - so how could they tell what my gait was like?
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

I really don't want to give up or rest, I feel like I'm finally starting to get a bit better. My programme does involve walking when I need to and it's led by a professional

I will definitely go and get my gait tested again as I never ran in the store I only walked - so how could they tell what my gait was like?

You make a great point. My running and walking stride/gait are SO different!
  • nicola8989
    Options
    I might try the compression guards first and see if they make a difference before I get new shoes -what do you think? (Just thinking of the expense as my running shoes have only had about 2 weeks of running on them!)
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    I might try the compression guards first and see if they make a difference before I get new shoes -what do you think? (Just thinking of the expense as my running shoes have only had about 2 weeks of running on them!)

Before you spend any money, try the stretching mentioned above and icing. Shoes are really important though! If you're going to run long term, they will change your life.
  • nicola8989
    Options
    thank you - I was planning to get a new pair in a few weeks and start bringing them on so might be able to hang on til then hopefully!
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It sounds like shin splints... but the fact that you're only on your 5th run makes me skeptical of that. I've had them and yes they start mild. I tried to keep running through them (was training for a 25K) and ended up barely being able to walk after a month. I tried stretching, strenght exercises, ice, compression socks, ibuprofen, biofreeze, tiger balm, KT tape, even went back to see if my fitted shoes weren't right for me any more. The only thing that helped me was stopping running.

My questions.. 4 or 5 runs in how many days? Were you active before you started running? If you are JUST starting running or working out and weren't very active before it's entirely possible that you're just sore and it will go away in a few days. But true shin splints developing within 4 runs is pretty unlikely (not saying it's impossible).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Shin splints. Here's some thoughts on strengthening your core and your gluteus maximus.

http://drpeggymalone.com/shin-splints-butt/
  • nicola8989
    Options
    thank you - I started at the end of June and I'm doing 3 runs a week. I did cycling on an exercise bike before but I had to have a month break because I had a virus.

I'm also thinking - should I reconsider the shoes I wear during the day when not running? My work shoes are just little ballet flats with thin soles and not very much support - might changing these make a difference?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

You make a great point. My running and walking stride/gait are SO different!

totally true, I actually underpronate with one and overpronate with the other