Anyone found a good electrolyte drink ....

...that doesn't have a lot of sugar?
Am a runner and now that its so hot, need to replenish during long runs.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member
    I use Hammer Nutrition Electrolyte tablets for long, hot rides (cycling). I just take them with water.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Powerade Zero. Mio Fit squirty things. Propel or Propel squirty things.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Powerade Zero. Mio Fit squirty things. Propel or Propel squirty things.

Squirty things!
  • kk_inprogress
    It deleted the rest of my post. Boo. What I was going to say is @cheshirecatastrophe, I call them that too! OP, thanks for the thread. I had this question too.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Try SKRATCH, has a higher content of sodium so will help prevent cramps and not really sweet. 100cals per serve in 600ml of water
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Water.

The need to replenish electrolytes even for endurance athletes is... unproven or tenuous at best.

So... water. Cheaper too.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    All (ok, most) of the ultra running community is starting to embrace Tailwind. They claim that if you consume enough, you don't need Endurolytes (electrolyte pills) or to even eat (we eat because of our distance). I can't consume the quantity needed to totally eliminate the taking of Endurolytes or not eating, but it does help in those arenas. B)
  • kk_inprogress
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Water.

The need to replenish electrolytes even for endurance athletes is... unproven or tenuous at best.

Do you have any sources on this? I'm still learning.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    You can make your own if you like:

tasty water
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Ekatrina wrote: »
    ...that doesn't have a lot of sugar?
    Am a runner and now that its so hot, need to replenish during long runs.

Sounds very counter productive to me..........

Sugar - is one of the fastest available sources of energy to put into you body for fuel.

What do you consider a long run? Re-hydrating can also be counter productive while training for longer runs....

• nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    I'm a fan of Nuun tablets, they dissolve in water, aren't super sweet or sugary. I don't handle sugary stuff well on my long runs and these work well for me.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Ultima Replenisher Electrolyte Drink (no sugar)-- look it up on line. I also like water and Hammer enduralyte tabs (look up on Hammer website) -- this stuff has got me through 1/2 marathons, sprint tris, and climbing Mount St. Helens! Without -- headaches and bonking!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited July 2015
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Water.

^^^ This..... you're more likely to benefit from some glucose (sugar) than need electrolytes unless you're doing a very long event.

cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2013-2014/farther-faster-fitter

this stuff has got me through 1/2 marathons, sprint tris, and climbing Mount St. Helens! Without -- headaches and bonking!

bonking has nothing to do with electrolytes, it's a result of having depleted glycogen reserves