The scale :worst enemy. HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Strength training doesn't really burn calories, and if you are eating at a deficit then it is practically impossible to build muscle, so it definitely isn't that.

As others have said, ditch the cups and grab a scale which measures in grams. Log everything accurately.

How are you getting those calorie calculations from your workouts? Are you using MFP calculations? As they are usually notoriously off, most people only actually count half of what MFP tells them they have burnt. What settings do you have the stationary bike at, any resistance on it? I think this is a case of underestimating food intake and overestimating exercise burns.
  • chicalatina4eva3
    chicalatina4eva3 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I just had a look at your diary, and for July 7, it says that you earned 480 cal from exercise. What did you do?

In order to earn 480 cal from walking, you would have had to walk at least 2.5 hours yesterday.

In order to earn 480 cal from riding the stationary bike, you would have had to ride about 1.5 hours.

But in the posts I quoted above, you're telling us you don't workout that much??

Just a few other general comments ...

-- Dinner on July 6 was just apple juice? Is that all? There are few entries which seem incomplete. I don't know of course, maybe that was all you had ... ?

-- You seem to be logging things based on cup measures quite frequently. Do you have a scale and weigh all your food?

I swam yesterday in a lap pool. a mile in 60 min. And did intervals on the stationary bike for 30 min. In addition to my morning strengthing.
    None of my logs are in complete
    I ate my lunch in 2 portions 1/2 at 12 the other half at 5 and drank the apple juice at 8
    Strength training doesn't really burn calories, and if you are eating at a deficit then it is practically impossible to build muscle, so it definitely isn't that.

As others have said, ditch the cups and grab a scale which measures in grams. Log everything accurately.

How are you getting those calorie calculations from your workouts? Are you using MFP calculations? As they are usually notoriously off, most people only actually count half of what MFP tells them they have burnt. What settings do you have the stationary bike at, any resistance on it? I think this is a case of underestimating food intake and overestimating exercise burns.
    The intervals were level 1 for 2 min. (60-70 rpm) then level 4 for 2 min (100-120 rpm) and alternating throughout the time.
    I get my nutrition information from scanning the actual barcode instead of looking for something kinda close to it. I do have a scale and will start using it... Its just hard to measure items at work.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,233 Member
    Options

Yes ... most calorie calculators, including MFP, over-estimate the number of calories burned.

In order to get MFP to record a more realistic number I select that I'm walking and cycling at a slower pace than I'm actually doing. And even so, I often go in and adjust the calories burned number down a bit.

And then I may not eat any of my exercise calories back, or if I do, I will eat up to about half of them back.

• chicalatina4eva3
    Options

Yes ... most calorie calculators, including MFP, over-estimate the number of calories burned.

In order to get MFP to record a more realistic number I select that I'm walking and cycling at a slower pace than I'm actually doing. And even so, I often go in and adjust the calories burned number down a bit.

And then I may not eat any of my exercise calories back, or if I do, I will eat up to about half of them back.

I don't eat back my calories burned. I always write/type my workouts in my notes then log my work outs at the end of the day. So It insures me that I'm not eating over my calorie limit. BTW I gained 2 pounds from yesterday.
    I'm thinking about forgetting the scale and focus on measurements .. Need to buy a tape measure . what do u think? @Machka9
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain two pounds in one day - don't focus on that. It could be water weight from your period, or too much sodium.

Buy a food scale. Weigh everything solid, measure everything liquid. Enter your own recipes into the database instead of using the random ones. Only eat back half of your exercise calories.
  • chicalatina4eva3
    Options
    You didn't gain two pounds in one day - don't focus on that. It could be water weight from your period, or too much sodium.

Buy a food scale. Weigh everything solid, measure everything liquid. Enter your own recipes into the database instead of using the random ones. Only eat back half of your exercise calories.

Liquid is all measured with an 8 oz. Cup
    I will start weighing my food. And I don't wanna eat back calories BC I think that defeats the purpose of working out
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Liquid is all measured with an 8 oz. Cup
    I will start weighing my food. And I don't wanna eat back calories BC I think that defeats the purpose of working out

It doesn't. Your deficit is built in - meaning any exercise you do is a bonus. I would play it by ear - if you're hungry, eat a portion of them back. If not, don't.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You need a good heart rate monitor with a chest strap to be the most accurate with your calories burned.
    If you are already eating at a calorie deficit, and maintain that with a food scale (I see you are planning to start), and you add to that deficit with exercise calories, you run the risk of burning lean muscle in addition to fat. You don't want to do that. So eat at least 1/2 of your exercise calories back.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Your logging seems pretty poor... how did you measure 0.13 cups of cheese? How is it that every time you eat a piece of chicken it weighs exactly 200g?

Using cups to measure is probably doing you a huge disservice.

Try weighing your food, all of it, on a digital scale in grams. It is quicker than trying to get stuff in measuring cup and you don't have to wash all those cups afterwards.
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Are you logging everything you eat/drink? How do you determine how much you're eating? Do you eat back your exercise calories, and if so how much? How do you determine how much you're burning?

I am using a wet measuring cups for all liquids and dry measuring cup for all solids. I often weigh my meals to scale. I opened my diary to view my logs. I am logging everything.I only mainly drink water or freshly brewed unsweetened loose teas.

Also what is a "wet measuring cup" versus a "dry measuring cup"?
    A cup is a unit of measurement for volume. There is no such thing as a "wet" or "dry" cup. A cup is always 250ml which is why it's only accurate for liquids.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,233 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    But I seem to be gaining weight faster than ever! From May 2 to June 2 I gained 10 pounds. What is going on? Help me please!!?!!

In order to do that, you would have to be consuming more than you burn.

The usual tips:
    -- estimate really low on the calories you're burning with exercise.
    -- weigh everything.
    -- be meticulously accurate about logging everything, even the half a muffin you share with a co-worker at morning tea (not saying that's the case, just giving an example).

Question 1 ... do you drink alcohol?

Question 2 ... you don't have anything recorded for the period between May 2 to June 2. Has your diet changed since then and have you lost weight since then?

• chicalatina4eva3
    Options
    Your logging seems pretty poor... how did you measure 0.13 cups of cheese? How is it that every time you eat a piece of chicken it weighs exactly 200g?

Using cups to measure is probably doing you a huge disservice.

Try weighing your food, all of it, on a digital scale in grams. It is quicker than trying to get stuff in measuring cup and you don't have to wash all those cups afterwards.
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Are you logging everything you eat/drink? How do you determine how much you're eating? Do you eat back your exercise calories, and if so how much? How do you determine how much you're burning?

I am using a wet measuring cups for all liquids and dry measuring cup for all solids. I often weigh my meals to scale. I opened my diary to view my logs. I am logging everything.I only mainly drink water or freshly brewed unsweetened loose teas.

Also what is a "wet measuring cup" versus a "dry measuring cup"?
    A cup is a unit of measurement for volume. There is no such thing as a "wet" or "dry" cup. A cup is always 250ml which is why it's only accurate for liquids.
    There are two types of measuring cups.. One for soilds ( or flour when baking something )
    Other that is for liquids.

• chicalatina4eva3
    Options
    But I seem to be gaining weight faster than ever! From May 2 to June 2 I gained 10 pounds. What is going on? Help me please!!?!!

In order to do that, you would have to be consuming more than you burn.

The usual tips:
    -- estimate really low on the calories you're burning with exercise.
    -- weigh everything.
    -- be meticulously accurate about logging everything, even the half a muffin you share with a co-worker at morning tea (not saying that's the case, just giving an example).

Question 1 ... do you drink alcohol?

Question 2 ... you don't have anything recorded for the period between May 2 to June 2. Has your diet changed since then and have you lost weight since then?

• chicalatina4eva3
    Options
    I do log everything .. Down to the last cal.
    It may be that I need to scale everything.
    I don't drink. Haven't had a single alcoholic beverage since Christmas maybe. The reason why there is no log for June and may is BC I wasn't counting calories. I just started up at the end of June BC of the crazy weight gain in may-june.