How do you stay motivated?

Options
2»

Replies

• Kittyface722
    Kittyface722 Posts: 12 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hello from a teacher in training!(I start my 5th and final year as a music education major in August) As a college student, I'm incredibly used to having a schedule. While I hate it with a passion at the time, over the summers I realize how great it was. I'm not talking about having trouble working out though. I'm talking about my overall happiness. At the start of the summer I felt worthless, unmotivated, and like I wasn't actually getting anything done this summer. An acquaintance suggested that I make a schedule for each day depending on factors that I can't change (like work). I made one for everyday of the week but it gives me time to sit and do nothing throughout the day while still getting things done. I also made a list of "things to do when bored" that I think are fun or productive, example: work on my portfolio. This all has helped me to have more of a purpose over the summer. I added in working out this week which has made me feel more productive (and sore) than ever.

Basically, if you're used to having a set schedule each day, you need to create one for summer when you have all this free time.

I'm a music teacher too! I just finished my first year of actual teaching. So I feel you! Setting a schedule is hard for me when I don't have much to do but I will give it a try. :)
  • Kittyface722
    Options
    loborojo52 wrote: »
    My motivation is that I want to be in the best absolute shape I can be for my teammates... I was recently named captain of my rugby club and I take great pride in that :)

Congrats on being made captain! That's awesome! I want to be in great share for my friends and family so I can inspire them. That would be awesome! :)
  • Kittyface722
    Options
    I try to find a friend and sign up for various activities which you cannot do without training. Whether it's a 5k, mud run, or this fall's new adventure - bike ride.

I'm gonna try signing up for some fun classes at the gym. Thanks for the advice! :)
  • Kittyface722
    Options
    Mgtei wrote: »
    For me, I remind myself that I am worth caring for meticulously and wholesomely (i.e., both mentally and physically, and spiritually if that's your thing) no matter where I am in my weight/health journey. Then a deep breath ("Breathing will get you through this."—a gym trainer I had). Then the tender application of science. Am I tracking as best I can/weighing as much as I can accurately? If so, you should be able to get through this rest time with your injury ok.

As for other areas of your life, it sounds like you need goals for activity outside of weight loss. Those are important, too, especially if you have a tendency towards depressive episodes. Does your injury allow you to volunteer somewhere? That'd be a great way to have a commitment to get outside the house and around new people and make new friends. People who volunteer are usually good stock, in my experience.

On a more practical note, pre-logging food before I eat it seems very helpful for me (rather than doing it at the end of the day from memory, say). It helps put me in the right mindset for the day first thing in the morning and gives me a time to recommit to my reasons for weight loss (your profile says a long life and future kids, which are great reasons to meditate on) before I take a bite. Also, even if you overeat, track it, and be proud you tracked it so you can stop the ~shame spiral~ in its tracks. Then commit to do better, not tomorrow (unless you're done for the day) but at your next bite.

Someone else also recommended dividing your food in half before you eat it and checking in on your satiety levels at the halfway point. I've done this and occasionally been surprised at how full I was before finishing my plate (I'm a clean-your-plate kind of girl).

I also wonder (and this may be projecting since it's something I struggle with) if maybe your identity is wrapped up a bit too much in your job, since it seems like when it's not active in your life in the summer you don't have much else to do that you enjoy? You could try blogging on your MFP blog every day as a hobby if you enjoy writing, or trying a new hobby that will give you a sense of accomplishment outside of your work (something you can do while you heal like drawing/painting, even playing computer/video games, or better yet something that gets you outside like gardening).

Hope one of these is helpful to you. I'm rooting for you. Depression sucks. But you can do this. You got this.

Wow. That was such a kind, heartfelt response. Thank you! I like a lot of what you said and will look into maybe volunteering somewhere, as well as diving my food and pre-logging it. It's hard to pre-log but maybe I need to go back to the days when I planned out the weekly meals for my husband and myself. It's a pain but it definitely took the guesswork out of what I was eating.

As for doing something else I love...wow I didn't think of this but I'm a music teacher and I don't actually get much time to play my flute anymore. I should make time to do that. Play for ME, not for the kids (who don't really care that much anyway, let's be honest.) I think if I put some time in on the days I feel down that would help a lot. THANK YOU!

Basically just a big thank you in general haha. You are a very kind person and I really appreciate you taking the time to give some advice. ❤️
  • Kittyface722
    Options
    Hello from another teacher. I have a similar issue and can't say that I have the issue 100% under control, but I do things that help.

1. I make a to-do list. If you are really having trouble with motivation, break up the tasks on the list. It feels good to check things off.
    2. Tell others what you plan accomplish to make yourself accountable.

Exercise and diet tend to go along with being generally active and productive. At least that's how it is with me, so I usually include them on my list.

Use a daily planner on an online calendar (google calendar) and make a schedule or appointments for yourself. If I have a big task to accomplish, I only allow myself to spend a limited amount of time on it. This way I make sure I fit in the exercise and allow downtime from being productive (without going overboard. )

When I feel productive and am more active without the stress of the school year, I tend to feel less depressed. Getting together with friends or even phone calls or emails may also help.

I just need to do more things. You're right, being active helps make me want to go exercise and keep moving. Yesterday was the first day since the beginning of June that I was kind of GO GO GO and it made it so much easier to just KEEP GOING. Maybe I should make a to-do list. Thanks for the advice!!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes, you have to have commitment and consistency.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I know you said you love being off for the summer...but what about devoting a few hours a week to tutor kids in the neighborhood or kids of family and friends (for a small fee

I was gonna suggest part-time volunteer work but I like this answer even better.