Help with Slouching/rounded shoulders

Options
2»

Replies

• elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    thanks zillah.I went to my second Pilates mat class last night and I also bought a yoga video to do in the evenings. At the class, the teacher kept reminding me to pull my shoulders out of my ears. I can see how going to the classes is really going to help me "feel" what proper posture feels like.

I think that incorporating the various tips I've received here into my fitness routine is really going to help. Thanks so much MFP gang. Great advice all around. This was really helpful!
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I wanted to come back to this topic to say an extra thank you to everyone that gave me suggestions. It's been about 6 weeks and I can already begin to see a difference from implementing some of these changes. The things I've changed are:

- increased back exercises (especially lower back)
    - added some shoulder isolation exercises
    - added a weekly Pilates class to help with my core
    - swapped out some running for swimming (especially freestyle) in my cardio
    - focus on lifting my diaphragm and pulling my shoulders back/down when walking

I also learned a term called "upper cross syndrome" on a thread from @stroutman81 that seems to apply.

I do still need to get better at stretching and really should be doing my yoga DVD on a more regular basis so there is room for improvement. But, overall, I am pleased that I seem to be seeing a positive difference.