Weighing/measuring/counting.....for life?!

Options
im getting pretty close to my goal....I've (fairly) diligently weighed and measured foods and counted all those calories.
I've tried hard to make most of what I do, sustainable. I figure there's no sense making changes for weight loss that I will be unwilling or unable to maintain after the weight loss.
I began at 158.....I'm now roughly 138.....I'd like to be at 130.
But....I'm not sure all this weighing and measuring and logging is something I want to do for life.
It's so much extra work.
Sigh.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I don't get why you feel it's a lot of work .. especially if you have saved meals and recipes and it takes a small amount of time with favourites in place

but if you want - start trying to estimate portion sizes now .. and glance at the scale after .. refine your eyeballing

I don't reckon you absolutely have to weigh

although I'm planning on continuing cos actually it's easy .. and I'm a number geek
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I think that once you have adjusted to maintenance, the idea is that you have a grasp on how much and what your body needs to maintain. At that point, stop counting and see what happens. Adjust accordingly.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    As a numbers geek as well, I've accepted I'll likely be logging forever. I might not always measure lower calorie foods (most fruits and vegetables), but I'll always be conscious and weigh higher density foods--nuts, peanut butter, cheese, etc.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    "Now where's my digital scale" Healthy-Lion-King-Attacked-Zebra.jpg
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I put my plate on the scale instead of the table or counter and tare in between food items. It takes like five extra seconds.

If you think it's too much work, you could definitely see what results you get without weighing. Could be that you'll be just fine.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Just to throw it out there, I think there's value in continuing to log meals if you're interested in keeping tabs on intake (or if you have other goals, such as bf reduction, etc).

I've never weighed, but I would hope that after a while one would learn enough to approximate portions for maintenance. Or better still, use natural hunger and satiety cues to determine need.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    A possible alternative is Georgie Fear's "Lean Habits." amazon.com/Lean-Habits-Lifelong-Weight-Loss/dp/1624141129

I've just started the book, but it makes a lot of sense. In short, you don't have to count calories to get and stay lean if you develop and maintain the right eating habits. I think she has 16 habits total, but the four core habits that the remaining 12 are based on are:
    • Eat 3 to 4 meals with no snacking in between
    • Master your hunger by waiting 30 to 60 minutes to eat after you feel hungry
    • Eat slowly and eat just enough to feel satiated
    • Eat mostly whole foods

I'm still counting calories while I read the book and practice the four core habits. Depending on my confidence level I may eventually quit logging calories.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Some people think they can do it indefinitely and perhaps some can, but I can't. I think you're better off if you realize you won't be able to and find a method that you can sustain.

What I believe is workable is limiting portion sizes using some method like using smaller plates and/or comparing portion sizes to the size of your hand. Once it becomes a habit, you can do those things without even thinking about it. Other than that, weighing once a week is important, because you need something that will tell you if your weight is getting significantly away from your goal weight. If it gets three to five pounds away from your goal weight, then you might try logging until you bring your weight back in line. But if you control your portion sizes, limit snacking, and exercise, you won't have to log much.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    If (I mean WHEN!) I get to my goal weight, I don't plan to log my food or exercise until I get on the scales and it shows a steady gain of a couple of pounds when weighing every day. Then I'll watch every calorie like a hawk and double up on exercise. That's how I did it before gaining an outrageous amount after quitting smoking in 2004 and it worked for me!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    How maintenance works varies person to person.

Some people can just eyeball it and maintain (not many, but my sister does so it is possible). You can try this, but just make sure you weigh yourself regularly to keep yourself in check.

For most people, myself included, they will need to do some level of tracking to maintain. Maintenance is really where most people fail in their weight loss efforts. The 5 year rate for keeping the weight off is dismal. I've lost weight before and thought that I could maintain just by eating "like a normal person" and put it all back on. It's so easy to convince yourself that you're doing ok when you're not.

I know that I'll have to track for life. And if I'm tracking, I might as well weigh it. The tracking is what takes the time, not actually weighing things out. That's just putting food on a plate, which I have to do anyway. The plate's just on a scale instead of the counter.

I'd rather take the extra 5 minutes a day that I need to track and maintain my weight loss, than throw all this effort out the window because I "don't feel like it".
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this. If you feel it is too much then it is, if you don't then it isn't.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing if you decide it has become mentally taxing. If you feel snacking is your main weakness you could continue to log just the snacks, or if it is weekends then just weekends, or every other day until you feel comfortable in not tracking at all.

Personally I have started logging again after a long hiatus (as I lost weight a little too quickly in relation to my goals using a mindful eating approach) and can't ever imagine doing it for more than a few months before I think sod this for a game of soldiers...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    So don't do it.
  • Funship
    Funship Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Logging / weighing / tracking keeps me mindful:)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    No. Once you get into the habit of eating certain things, have some clothes that are snug but not too tight. Only buy clothes when those fit well. And when they don't, cut back. It's actually really simple.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Simple ideas are often very hard to implement.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,994 Member
    Options
    I don't plan to continue with weighing and measuring and logging for life.

My first 4 months here (Feb 2015-June 2015) was the longest time I've ever spent on a logging site like this. Previously, I'd join a site of some sort for 3 weeks, lose some weight, and then stop logging but continue to lose weight for a few more weeks until I hit my goal.

This time I had a little bit more to lose and decided to stick with the logging for 4 months. Plus this site is, so far, the easiest one I've ever used. When I hit my goal mid-June, I quit weighing and measuring and logging. I have returned to it again just to see if I can drop a bit lower. I'll reassess again at the end of September.

Perhaps I have a different perspective from some here ...

I've been slender most of my life, even venturing into underweight for some fairly lengthy stretches from time to time. I've also been quite active most of my life. And most of the time, my diet/exercise balance is pretty good. Therefore, for me, weighing and measuring and logging ... and dieting ... is a temporary thing. It is an adjustment to bring my weight back to what I think it should be. It is not a lifestyle thing.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I don't get why you feel it's a lot of work .. especially if you have saved meals and recipes and it takes a small amount of time with favourites in place

but if you want - start trying to estimate portion sizes now .. and glance at the scale after .. refine your eyeballing

I don't reckon you absolutely have to weigh

although I'm planning on continuing cos actually it's easy .. and I'm a number geek

I don't get how OP feels she would need to do counting calories for life.

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    "Now where's my digital scale" Healthy-Lion-King-Attacked-Zebra.jpg

LOVE THIS. OP, I have been logging about 6 months and plan to do so for about a year. I think it's a personal journey for everyone and comes down to preference and discipline. After 6 months, I can almost estimate my caloric intake without logging if I stick to the measurements and foods I know and love. I don't weigh EVERYTHING anymore and for me it has worked. A lot of people need that constant logging to stay on track - it's really going to be personal. For what it's worth, I've made great friends on here that I don't want to lose and will probably stick around even after I stop logging.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The key to maintenance is staying mindful, I think.

If you can stay mindful without logging and not delude yourself, it's not necessary to log, IME (I maintained without logging for 5 years once before, and then I stopped caring or paying attention or something and regained everything and more). I currently enjoy logging, so will likely use it as a tool off and on, although as I've been practicing with maintenance I've been taking time off logging from time to time.