heel pain - anybody had this?

Options
This morning I got out of bed and found out that the underside of my left heel hurts when I put any weight on it. It is a dull pain, not localised to a single point. As im sat down now it has a slight burning sensation. I have had two months off from regular exercise and the last two evenings I have started the strong curves programme. I think that I may have some slight tightness in my calves and hamstrings. Could the heel pain be a result of this? I am not going to see a Dr just yet!!

with the dodgy knee on the other leg, I feel that my age might be starting to show ;-)

Replies

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    It sounds like plantar fasciitis or heel spurs. I AM NOT A DOCTOR so that is not a real diagnosis, but I've dealt with it before. You can google it and find some stretches to do that will help release the fascia and loosen muscles in the foot. Basic one is to use a tennis ball to roll out the knots. I've also heard of people using a frozen water bottle. Definitely google it and check out some youtube videos. If it seems to get worse, see a doctor and/or have them refer you to an Airrosti clinic. They are like chiropractors for soft tissue, awesome stuff!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Along with the above, it may also be an Achilles injury. My DD just suffered one and is now in a boot. Get an ortho to check it out if pain persists.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'd get it checked out as it sounds like the beginning of plantar faciitis. Sooner better than later. I suffered through it for about a year. It's no joke and it can be darned near debilitating!!
  • CassarahW
    CassarahW Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have Plantar Fasciitis in my left food, going to a running store and being fitted for proper shoes almost completely eliminated it. I waited over a year before I tried that. It's well worth the investment. I also used a frozen water bottle and heat/massage on my calf and stretched my foot by pulling my toes back almost every time I sat down.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Did you plant wrong or have a strong impact? I had a bruised heel from a bad skydiving landing and that pain lingered for weeks. Nothing broken, so not much treatment other than the "tincture of time".
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice guys. there was no impact injury that occurred, and after some investigation I believe it is plantar fasciitis, which sucks! I am wondering if it is still ok to jog out side for 10 mins at a time (to and from the gym) or whether complete rest is the way to go?
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice guys. there was no impact injury that occurred, and after some investigation I believe it is plantar fasciitis, which sucks! I am wondering if it is still ok to jog out side for 10 mins at a time (to and from the gym) or whether complete rest is the way to go?

I'm a fan of the strategy "don't do what hurts."

When I get the beginning twinges of PF, I've had very good luck fighting it off with stretching/massage and Profoot insoles in my running shoes (and I mean, for $7, why not?).

PlantarFascStretchall.jpg
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Oh god sounds like plantar fasciitis. I'm sorry if that's what it turns out to be. I feel your pain. :(
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I see that it is...best thing that helped me was those fancy Dr. Scholls inserts. Like the $50 ones.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Yes, along with stretching get yourself a brace and wear it when you are sitting around the house or at work. My pain went away after a week or regular stretching, staying OFF the foot and wearing the brace. if it persists, definitely see a dr.
  • donjshaw45
    donjshaw45 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's definitely PF... I recommend buying yourself a Strassbourg sock. It keeps your toes bent back towards you in the night and makes the mornings easier. I've had PF since November 2014 and still run 50 miles a week - the pain is manageable - but as others have said, probably best to rest until it clears.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Sounds like PF to me. Get a lacrosse ball and roll your foot around on it, get a foam roller and roll your calves/Achilles and hamstrings. Every day. I also switched to minimalist shoes which helped me, because it keeps my Achilles stretched. That is definitely not the solution for everybody, but it worked better than getting expensive insoles for me.
  • Patsalmer
    Patsalmer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am currently seeing my chirpractor. He is stripping my PF.. It is very painful, but I am seeing great results.. In only 2 visits, my heel no longer hurts, only the inside of my foot now. To compliment what he does I use a lacrosse ball at home for massaging and doing exercises with an elastic band to strengthen my muscles in my calves and foot.. Prior to seeing my chiropractor for this I had seen a podiatrist whom only gave me an injection of corticosteroids and told me to come back when it wore off.... Needless to say I didnt want to do that again, and that's why I searched for an alternative method of relieving my pain..
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    If its a Achilles tendon injury, buckle in. Mine took almost three years to fully recover, but what a fun drunken night that was.
  • pearshapedmum
    Options
    thats why I love this site - so much good advise :-) I have been stretching, massaging and generally prodding and it may be helping. hopefully I caught it early so it wont last too long. Have also purchased a new pair of running shoes. it turns out my current pair are 5 yrs old but they don't smell funky though :-)
    Options
    .. it turns out my current pair are 5 yrs old but they don't smell funky though :-)
    The recommendation I've read on running shoes is to replace them every 300-500 miles.
  • pearshapedmum
    Options
    there is a chance that I have exceeded that mileage, but I wouldn't put money on it! I dream of having knees that don't clunk and grind, so then I can just run for miles and miles.

since I can stand on my forefoot with no pain, I might attempt a jog later since I am a mid/forefoot striker. I want to get back to the gym and do some single leg back extensions. my soon to be pert butt awaits!

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    If its a Achilles tendon injury, buckle in. Mine took almost three years to fully recover, but what a fun drunken night that was.

haha, you actually remember it?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have plantar flasciitis and my superfeet inserts (green because I have really high arches) are a life saver. Before I found these, I was always getting set back...now, haven't had a flare up in awhile...I have them in every pair of shoes I own, including my cycling shoes and running shoes.
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »

haha, you actually remember it?
    The night? Not so much -- just some random pieces and my overall feeling that night -- but the heel pain, yes.