Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weight is going up, inches going down--except these hips & thighs they're growing

All I've done is cycle daily for 12 days now. I cut it down to 6 times a week. Initially I lost weight, now its creeping back up. Inches I'm steadily losing, but now these thighs and hips are growing. I'm a Mesomorph body type. Any clues on what is going on with me? I know muscle weigh more than fat, well at least I've heard that before.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    OP, stats and caloric intake?

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. 1lb of muscle = 1lb of fat. I think you mean, muscle is more dense than fat.
  • unmatcheddiscipline
    unmatcheddiscipline Posts: 101 Member

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. 1lb of muscle = 1lb of fat. I think you mean, muscle is more dense than fat.

Take a look at my food diary, I'll open it for you. I agree with you, that's why I said that's what I heard. Thx :blush:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member

This. Also what is your goal? Build muscle, recomp, lose weight, be more fit, etc
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    What do you cycle OP?
  • unmatcheddiscipline
    edited July 2015
    Alluminati wrote: »

This. Also what is your goal? Build muscle, recomp, lose weight, be more fit, etc

My diary and profile is public. I want to build muscle to get rid of the fat/cellulite, lose weight and be fit.
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    What do you cycle OP?

I cycle a Fixed Gear bike.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited July 2015
    If you want tailored info we need your stats as well. Off the top of my head it looks like your eating too much but we aren't sure if this is possible unless we have your stats.

Also, how are you measuring food and exercise?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    If all of your other measurements are getting smaller, then you are losing weight and most of it is probably fat. You said you have been doing this for 12 days. That is a short amount of time. A lot of cycling primarily works your hips and thighs, so those areas could be retaining water to aid in muscle repair, or just holding more glycogen (and water) to accommodate the increased needs during workouts.

Yes, muscle does weight more than fat. Given an equal volume of both, the muscle will weigh more. Just like a liter of concrete will weigh more than a liter of feathers. However, 12 days is not really enough to see a meaningful increase in muscle mass, so it is almost certainly a water or glycogen related issue.
  • unmatcheddiscipline
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    If all of your other measurements are getting smaller, then you are losing weight and most of it is probably fat. You said you have been doing this for 12 days. That is a short amount of time. A lot of cycling primarily works your hips and thighs, so those areas could be retaining water to aid in muscle repair, or just holding more glycogen (and water) to accommodate the increased needs during workouts.

Yes, muscle does weight more than fat. Given an equal volume of both, the muscle will weigh more. Just like a liter of concrete will weigh more than a liter of feathers. However, 12 days is not really enough to see a meaningful increase in muscle mass, so it is almost certainly a water or glycogen related issue.

Thank you :wink: you gave me all the answers I needed.
  • unmatcheddiscipline
    If you want tailored info we need your stats as well. Off the top of my head it looks like your eating too much but we aren't sure if this is possible unless we have your stats.

What is a stat? My food measurement is via the premium MFP along with my digital scale, measuring cups/spoons. Exercise via a popular biking app.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member

What is a stat? My food measurement is via the premium MFP along with my digital scale, measuring cups/spoons. Exercise via a popular biking app.

Stats are your height and weight.

Try not to use measuring cups by themselves, always weigh out whatever you're putting in them first.
  • unmatcheddiscipline

Stats are your height and weight.

Try not to use measuring cups by themselves, always weigh out whatever you're putting in them first.

Oh lol, I'm 5'5" 217 lbs.

I do find the digital scale is easier, and from now on I will try to utilize it more. That's a good point. Thx! :smiley:

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    So the measurements on your legs are getting bigger or do they just look bigger?
  • unmatcheddiscipline
    edited July 2015
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    So the measurements on your legs are getting bigger or do they just look bigger?

No they do not look like they're getting bigger, they actually look like they're getting toned up. I'm a mesomorph body type. Edited correction: Now the body type quiz is saying I'm an Endomorph :neutral:
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member

No they do not look like they're getting bigger, they actually look like they're getting toned up. I'm a mesomorph body type.

Your "body type" (most on here don't agree that this concept even exists) is irrelevant. You're losing inches, you're doing the right thing. Keep at it!

• unmatcheddiscipline
    ASKyle wrote: »

No they do not look like they're getting bigger, they actually look like they're getting toned up. I'm a mesomorph body type.

Your "body type" (most on here don't agree that this concept even exists) is irrelevant. You're losing inches, you're doing the right thing. Keep at it!

Yes you're right that body type mumbo jumbo is crap! Took the test over and its different :neutral: Thx hun!! :blush:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member

No they do not look like they're getting bigger, they actually look like they're getting toned up. I'm a mesomorph body type. Edited correction: Now the body type quiz is saying I'm an Endomorph :neutral:

Yes but are your measurements on your legs getting bigger? Because if the measurements on your legs aren't going up then they aren't actually growing.
  • unmatcheddiscipline

Yes but are your measurements on your legs getting bigger? Because if the measurements on your legs aren't going up then they aren't actually growing.

Ooooooh that makes sense girl! :wink: