Easy Tofu Recipes

Options
AddieOverhaul
AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
Hello everyone!

For ages I thought I hated tofu, and then someone served me some with a delicious sauce and I loved it! I have made that one since but it involves a LOT of ingredients and I would really like to have some quick and easy ways of flavouring tofu.

Please share your ideas!

Replies

• BirdyWeirdy77
    BirdyWeirdy77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    me too! i love tofu! but only if its made the right way! there is a Chinese restaurant here in my town. they make the best tofu. i wish i knew how to cook tofu. but i have no clue. not even a clue.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Stir fry with lots of veggies, rice, peanuts or cashews...
    Use soft tofu in place of eggs in scrambles....
    In soups!
    Baked!
    Fried!

You can do a lot with tofu. The first time I ever tried tofu was in 5th grade. I had a vegetarian(vegan maybe) teacher who baked us a chocolate cake using silken tofu. I thought it was really cool and remembered that for years.
  • shrinkingletters
    Options
    I've seen recipes for smoothies using the silken tofu to add more protein, but I've never tried that.
  • AddieOverhaul
    Options
    Yeah I've used the silken tofu in smoothies it's good. What I'm looking for specifically is what people use to flavor it. Like, soy sauce? I'd like to marinate it so it's yummy and then bake or fry it and mix it in with veggies and rice. I just want some ideas on what to use to flavor it.

Thanks!
  • shrinkingletters
    Options
    If you're going to marinate it in anything, just make sure to press out the liquid before you do so. Otherwise you can marinate it with any of the same things you'd use on meat. Oils, citrus, soy sauce, fish sauces....

I know it doesn't sound like I'm helping much, but my only good advice is to treat it like meat.
  • ladyglamazon
    ladyglamazon Posts: 19 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You can freeze extra firm tofu, and then thaw it out and press it. It totally changes the texture and makes it more "chicken" like. I am a veggie with a carnivore hubby, and this is how we do tofu to make it more palatable for him. You can dip slices of the thawed tofu in a bit of yogurt and then toss it in Shake and Bake, and then bake it. It's delicious!
  • shrinkingletters
    Options
    You can freeze extra firm tofu, and then thaw it out and press it. It totally changes the texture and makes it more "chicken" like. I am a veggie with a carnivore hubby, and this is how we do tofu to make it more palatable for him. You can dip slices of the tawed tofu in a bit of yogurt and then toss it in Shake and Bake, and then bake it. It's delicious!

I've heard of freezing it like that before. I'll need to try that and bake it or fry it like chicken tenders. For some reason my picky-eater little sister loves tofu.
  • AddieOverhaul
    Options
    Yeah, I froze it for the fancy meal I made (the one with a billion ingredients) and I liked it. I have a block in the freezer right now and just trying to figure out what to do with it. Thanks for the tips! The shake and bake sounds good, and maybe I will just try BBQ sauce and see how that tastes!
  • Mgtei
    Mgtei Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Lime juice, mustard, garlic, sesame oil (a little goes a long way), citrus zest, agave (again, a little goes a long way), basil, rosemary, Bragg's liquid aminos or tamari, balsamic vinegar. Almost anything will work as long as you like the flavor (but then I'm half-Japanese and love tofu, so I would say that, wouldn't I ;) ).
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    The good thing about tofu is that is flavorless so it absorbs all the flavors of all sauces and spices. Use extra firm tofu for stir fry's so it won't break up as easy. Softer tofu for soups and korma sauces. I also love meatless ground beef for veggie tacos (just add your chili powder and other spices), and meatless meat strips.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I don't even marinate it when I cook it. I press about 1/4 of the block, sprinkle on spices (Moroccan seasoning is a favorite, but I'm just as happy with salt, pepper, and paprika), and throw it on the George Foreman grill for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of the meal. The rest of the meal is usually veggies, rice (precooked in large batches to save time, sesame or pumpkin seeds, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar. It's simple food, but my body seems to like it, and I'm happy to eat it. If I'm in a hurry, I'll wrap my slab in a tortilla or a napkin and eat it on the go!
  • AddieOverhaul
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Some great ideas on here - I am excited to start experimenting.