Hillwalking - great for burning calories

Options
Had an amazing hillwalk today - for 5 hours - even saw the Hogwarts Express for real! Check out my photos from today.

Highly recommended for all!

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18874

Replies

• wochlikgm
    wochlikgm Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Beautiful... you are making me jealous, and yearning for a hike in the African Bush (which is a half an hour drive from home)
  • katieno7
    katieno7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous, too! Awesome walk. I doubt it even felt like exercise :smiley:
  • donjshaw45
    donjshaw45 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks! It really did feel like exercise, it's exhausting, especially coming back down!!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I climbed Ben Nevis yesterday, took me 8 hours up and down. Slightly stiff today!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    We climbed Mt. St. Helens last week. I found out how intense bouldering is (and how awesome it is!) and how much I hate scree. Mercy, the scree. But it was worth it!! Hills are the best. Your hike looks amazing :)
  • donjshaw45
    Options
    Scree is awful! But all effort is worth it in the end!
  • ramepithecus
    ramepithecus Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Those are gorgeous photos, Don. We hiked Mount Pilchuck yesterday - about 4.5 hours round trip but it was fogged in so I didn't take pictures.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Don that looks great! Hill running (no doubt you know) is even better!

To be honest I prefer to run many hikes as long approaches can get a bit boring to me, especially in my neck of the woods where many hikes start at sea level or not much above and pass through many km of forest with little views before they finally get interesting.

The only downside to running these trails is I don't currently have a good way of safely carrying my good camera while running (a decently small Sony full frame but larger than a compact in size) so I'm reliant on a cell phone for photos which annoys my photographic sensibilities. I should look into some sort of runners pack one of these days.

Mike
    Vancouver BC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    donjshaw45 wrote: »
    Had an amazing hillwalk today - for 5 hours - even saw the Hogwarts Express for real! Check out my photos from today.

Highly recommended for all!

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18874

Looks great!!

My husband and I hiked Mt Cheam (near Vancouver, BC) a couple weeks ago, and it got me re-interested in doing some more hikes around where we live in Tasmania.

It is a good workout!

• donjshaw45
    Options
    Those are gorgeous photos, Don. We hiked Mount Pilchuck yesterday - about 4.5 hours round trip but it was fogged in so I didn't take pictures.
    I tend to be a fair-weather walker but get stuck in the fog more often than not, it being Scotland!

mwyvr wrote: »
    Don that looks great! Hill running (no doubt you know) is even better!

To be honest I prefer to run many hikes as long approaches can get a bit boring to me, especially in my neck of the woods where many hikes start at sea level or not much above and pass through many km of forest
    BC

Mike, same here, although I only run the flat sections. Once the going gets tough, I can only walk. I'm really struggling this week because I can't seem to combine hillwalking with my running - one walk seems to kill my running legs for up to 4 days. I'm in training for the Toronto marathon at the moment so I can't really ease up on the running, much as I'd like to! Your trail runs sound great.

Machka9, sounds like a great hike. Your profile pic is excellent, was that taken on Cheam or is it back home?
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @Machka9 that is a great profile pic. Down the Fraser valley somewhere?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    @Machka9 that is a great profile pic. Down the Fraser valley somewhere?

Thanks, and yes ... top of Mt Cheam near Chilliwack. :)

Photos of that climb start on this link below, with photo labelled 01Jul15_MtCheamClimb_01 ... my cousin, husband and I climbed it on Canada Day. :)
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157654396714698/page2