Exercise routine for Night Owls?

Options
I'm a major night owl and I need to find a way to incorporate strength training into my day.

I am not a morning person. I loathe getting up at the crack of dawn. I also work a desk job and get home late because I carpool to get to and from work. And by the time I get home and eat dinner, I have to wait an hour before exercising because otherwise, I'll throw up whatever I eat.

So what's a night owl to do?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Work out at night like I do?
  • IronBatMaiden
    IronBatMaiden Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

What time at night do you typically work out?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

10PM-1AM timeframe is typical for me.
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options

Yeah it'll probably have to be between 10 pm to 12 pm for me. I have to get up at 6:30 in the morning to get ready for work.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Work out RIGHT after work. At a work gym, if possible, or at a gym really close to your work, if not.

Have a snack at 3-4 so you have energy for that.

Change your commute home to accommodate this. (That way you'll also miss out on the worst traffic.)

Because if you have to get up at 6:30, working out between 10 and 12 is a bad idea.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You do the same routine that someone would do in the morning, except at night...

I'm not sure I understand the issue here.
  • erryereri
    erryereri Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm most awake at night, and although I can push myself out of bed and do things in the morning, I pretty much can't EVER make myself work out in the morning. For the past week I've been working out starting at 2 or 3 am. Kind of been a crazy week.

But typically when I work out it's also in the 10-1 am timeframe.

You said that you're interested in strength training at night. At least one good thing about that is that if you live in an apartment, strength training is much less noisier than cardio, so less likely to annoy your neighbors while they might be trying to sleep!
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    You do the same routine that someone would do in the morning, except at night...

I'm not sure I understand the issue here.

I want to be able to incorporate exercise into my routine. Do you recommend I bring gear to work?
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    erryereri wrote: »
    I'm most awake at night, and although I can push myself out of bed and do things in the morning, I pretty much can't EVER make myself work out in the morning. For the past week I've been working out starting at 2 or 3 am. Kind of been a crazy week.

But typically when I work out it's also in the 10-1 am timeframe.

You said that you're interested in strength training at night. At least one good thing about that is that if you live in an apartment, strength training is much less noisier than cardio, so less likely to annoy your neighbors while they might be trying to sleep!

That's true. It's not like I'm jumping all over the place.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I often work out after work and we close at 10:30 pm. I bring my gym bag with me on those nights and drive all the way to my gym in order to get my lifting in, which the gym is located the opposite direction compared to driving home since I moved further away. However, I don't have to get up early either. Well, not for work. I get up early three days a week right now for my jogging because any time after 8 am is too hot.
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    I often work out after work and we close at 10:30 pm. I bring my gym bag with me on those nights and drive all the way to my gym in order to get my lifting in, which the gym is located the opposite direction compared to driving home since I moved further away. However, I don't have to get up early either. Well, not for work. I get up early three days a week right now for my jogging because any time after 8 am is too hot.

Yeah it's a lot harder because I carpool to and from work and I often have to wait. That won't be the case soon, but it sucks having to wait in the meantime.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's a lot harder because I carpool to and from work and I often have to wait. That won't be the case soon, but it sucks having to wait in the meantime.

Ah, yeah. It is hard when you are reliant on others.
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »

Ah, yeah. It is hard when you are reliant on others.

It really is. Again, that's gonna change soon, but I'm in a waiting period.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options

This is me right here. #LiftingAfterDark

I workout at home, garage, and it's typically much cooler in Texas at night. Plus I don't believe that you find time or make time for exercise. You actually have to take time away from something else. So to make sure family and work get time so I take away from sleep. I still try to squeeze in 6 hours though.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Could bring your gym bag with a change of clothes and do a body weight routine while you wait just add baby wipes or something to get the worst of the bo off.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options

This is me right here. #LiftingAfterDark

I workout at home, garage, and it's typically much cooler in Texas at night. Plus I don't believe that you find time or make time for exercise. You actually have to take time away from something else. So to make sure family and work get time so I take away from sleep. I still try to squeeze in 6 hours though.

Same here. I work all day, but have 3 kids. I like to spend my evenings with them, so I go to the gym (or workout in my garage) after the kids go to bed. So I work out typically between 10:30-12:30 at night. Weekends are a bit different, as my gym isn't open at night. But M-F, it's night workouts for me. Sure, I could probably sleep during that time, but if I don't workout then, i'll never fit it in my day.
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,773 Member
    Options
    i used to cycle lots to and from work, not sure if thats an option for you with distances and all but if you have hills in your area then thats one hell of a workout. Hitting the hills fast and hard can build legs and *kitten* real quick.

Whats the issue with working out when you get home before food? You can pick up cheap weights set ups, i have a home gym that didnt cost too much and apart from my cat (who decides to sleep on the bench) i get it all to myself. You could also go with some bodyweight stuff i guess. I usually have a shake, some fruit or whatever and start working out, have a biiiiig dinner when im done.
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    That's true. Even if it looks silly.
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    i used to cycle lots to and from work, not sure if thats an option for you with distances and all but if you have hills in your area then thats one hell of a workout. Hitting the hills fast and hard can build legs and *kitten* real quick.

Whats the issue with working out when you get home before food? You can pick up cheap weights set ups, i have a home gym that didnt cost too much and apart from my cat (who decides to sleep on the bench) i get it all to myself. You could also go with some bodyweight stuff i guess. I usually have a shake, some fruit or whatever and start working out, have a biiiiig dinner when im done.

Biking to work is not an option. I have to get on the freeway for that.

True. Or I could use SWORKIT.