How to resume workouts after a lost day?

Options
jaga13
jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
For those who have a set training schedule, how do you proceed after you are forced to skip a workout? (Due to being sick/on a long flight/etc)

To be specific, I aim for strength training M, W, F. And I run on T, Th, Sun (Sat is a "rest" day but I stay active with my kids). A few times a month I have to skip a workout (though try to remain active during the day), and then I don't know where to pick it back up the next day.

This week I was abroad on Monday and decided I'd enjoy running for a scenic view (rather than spending my last day on vacation lifting weights in a gym). Then Tuesday i was stuck on a plane almost the whole day. Now it's Wednesday so I decided to proceed with strength training since I haven't done it at all this week. Does that make sense? Tomorrow back to running and on my regular schedule. So for the whole week I will have run 3 times and will lift only 2 times (unless I can squeeze it on Saturday, but I'm being realistic that it's unlikely to workout both Saturday and Sunday, with 2 little kids and making up for lost time this week).

The 2nd part of my question: when I am forced to skip a workout, and then resume, I tend to want to run because I want to earn MORE FOOD, lol. Running obviously earns me many more calories than lifting. I KNOW everyone says I'll regret it if I don't maintain muscles, but lifting doesn't earn me more food so if I have to skip a workout, I tend to skip my lifts (so I end up with 3 days running and only 2 days strength instead of 3 and 3). Bad idea? Does it matter in the end? Can you relate to my constant desire to earn more food?!

I should probably add that I am under 5 feet tall and close to goal, so MFP only gives me 1210 calories for a 1/2 lb loss....that's simply not enough so I am always looking for ways to earn more calories!

Replies

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Pick up right where you left off. No need to make it complicated.
  • jaga13
    Options

So if my last workout was a run, then I had a break, my very next workout should be lifting, right? Regardless of what day it is and my "normal" routine?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    For those who have a set training schedule, how do you proceed after you are forced to skip a workout? (Due to being sick/on a long flight/etc)

To be specific, I aim for strength training M, W, F. And I run on T, Th, Sun (Sat is a "rest" day but I stay active with my kids). A few times a month I have to skip a workout (though try to remain active during the day), and then I don't know where to pick it back up the next day.

This week I was abroad on Monday and decided I'd enjoy running for a scenic view (rather than spending my last day on vacation lifting weights in a gym). Then Tuesday i was stuck on a plane almost the whole day. Now it's Wednesday so I decided to proceed with strength training since I haven't done it at all this week. Does that make sense? Tomorrow back to running and on my regular schedule. So for the whole week I will have run 3 times and will lift only 2 times (unless I can squeeze it on Saturday, but I'm being realistic that it's unlikely to workout both Saturday and Sunday, with 2 little kids and making up for lost time this week).

The 2nd part of my question: when I am forced to skip a workout, and then resume, I tend to want to run because I want to earn MORE FOOD, lol. Running obviously earns me many more calories than lifting. I KNOW everyone says I'll regret it if I don't maintain muscles, but lifting doesn't earn me more food so if I have to skip a workout, I tend to skip my lifts (so I end up with 3 days running and only 2 days strength instead of 3 and 3). Bad idea? Does it matter in the end? Can you relate to my constant desire to earn more food?!

I should probably add that I am under 5 feet tall and close to goal, so MFP only gives me 1210 calories for a 1/2 lb loss....that's simply not enough so I am always looking for ways to earn more calories!

You won't lose muscle by skipping one workout. You're over thinking it....
  • shrinkingletters
    Options

So if my last workout was a run, then I had a break, my very next workout should be lifting, right? Regardless of what day it is and my "normal" routine?

You could do it like that, or if you feel like you've recouped enough for another run, go for it.

When I get derailed, I just work it in where I feel comfortable. If I'm gonna burn myself out on one thing, I'll juggle things around. For example, I was going to run this monday, but for reasons, I couldn't, so I ran yesterday instead. My schedule would dictate I run again today, but I don't want to double up like that, so I'll just run tomorrow, and do my third run of the week on saturday.

My rest day would usually be saturday or sunday, but it looks like due to having to juggle things around, today will be my rest day. I just figure it out as I go along.
  • shrinkingletters
    Options
    Just don't stress too much about it, OP. Fit it in where you can, if you miss a day, you miss a day, just keep an eye on your calories if you're restricting them for weight loss.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

You won't lose muscle by skipping one workout. You're over thinking it....

But you will if you skip a month.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I just skipped an entire week
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

And now you're a floppy muscle-less noodle?!
  • jaga13
    Options

I skipped an entire week recently on another vacation (had to travel back-to-back). Only had 1 week of my normal routine in between these two trips. Yeah, I totally get missing it here and there is fine.
  • FizzyToast
    FizzyToast Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had to skip an entire month for reasons; muscle and nerve damage gives me some bad days mixed in with my good days.. I just watched my caloric intake that entire time. 4 days ago I did my normal walk. 2.5 miles in 45 min. Instead, I made it in 36 min. I was ecstatic! I've accomplished that every day since. Sometimes, giving your body a break gives it time to recoup enough to excel over what you were attempting before.

At least it did for me.
  • jaga13
    Options
    FizzyToast wrote: »
    I had to skip an entire month for reasons; muscle and nerve damage gives me some bad days mixed in with my good days.. I just watched my caloric intake that entire time. 4 days ago I did my normal walk. 2.5 miles in 45 min. Instead, I made it in 36 min. I was ecstatic! I've accomplished that every day since. Sometimes, giving your body a break gives it time to recoup enough to excel over what you were attempting before.

At least it did for me.

Glad you're feeling better!
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter

I agree, it doesn't matter, do whatever you feel like doing and just keep going. After a year, for example, your body won't even notice the difference. I think you're overthinking this.
  • FizzyToast
    FizzyToast Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    FizzyToast wrote: »

At least it did for me.

Glad you're feeling better!

Thanks! I just hope my little share helps you.

• jaga13
    Options
    Yes, I realize I am overthinking this! That's just my personality. I'm a planner. I get it, it doesn't matter in the long run and the proof is in the pudding as I keep losing weight. I just like to overanalyze everything! And I'm always looking for ways to eat more, and am saddened when I can't :(
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I do whatever it is I was supposed to do next...*kitten* happens in life.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

this is how i do it...

Monday - run
    Tuesday - cycle AM/Lift PM
    Wednesday - run
    Thursday - cycle AM/Lift PM
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - cycle to gym to lift
    Sunday - long ride...but I'm easy, sometimes I just go on a hike or swim or take my kids to the zoo, etc...i don't get too worked up if i miss my long ride unless i'm truly training for an event or something.

....so let's say *kitten* blows up at work on a Tuesday and I don't get my ride in or my lifts...no biggie...I just carry on with my usual on Wednesday which would be a run.

I also allow for some flexibility...sometimes Wednesdays are a bear and I can't get my run in...at certain times of the month I have a lot of meetings and whatnot to attend and they're always on Wednesday...so I flex it with my typical Friday rest day...i.e. meeting on Wednesday is *kitten* with my run so I take a rest instead and do my run on Friday.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Yes, I realize I am overthinking this! That's just my personality. I'm a planner. I get it, it doesn't matter in the long run and the proof is in the pudding as I keep losing weight. I just like to overanalyze everything! And I'm always looking for ways to eat more, and am saddened when I can't :(

So run, job done.
  • jaga13
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

this is how i do it...

Monday - run
    Tuesday - cycle AM/Lift PM
    Wednesday - run
    Thursday - cycle AM/Lift PM
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - cycle to gym to lift
    Sunday - long ride

....so let's say *kitten* blows up at work on a Tuesday and I don't get my ride in or my lifts...no biggie...I just carry on with my usual on Wednesday which would be a run.

I also allow for some flexibility...sometimes Wednesdays are a bear and I can't get my run in...at certain times of the month I have a lot of meetings and whatnot to attend and they're always on Wednesday...so I flex it with my typical Friday rest day...i.e. meeting on Wednesday is *kitten* with my run so I take a rest instead and do my run on Friday.

Makes sense, thank you.
  • jaga13
    Options
    Maybe many of you have more calories to work with, but do you ever wrestle with not earning enough calories through cardio to feel full?? I just can't accept 1210 calories from MFP so I feel I have to exercise and include some level of cardio most days to earn enough to feel full (closer to the 1400 mark).