mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    mantium999 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    bobby19666 wrote: »
    Perhaps I missed it, do you have a medical reason to be concerned about sugars? If not, spend more time understanding how to consistently maintain a caloric deficit. Once you master the basic principal that governs all weight loss, feel free to "fine tune" your approach with more complicated matters. If you can't do the basics, why muck it up with other stuff? If you do have a medical reason to worry about your sugar intake, make that info known, as there are many here with loads of experience dealing with insulin issues.

No medical reason. Just rather focus now than when it'd too late. Also want bod
    Perhaps I missed it, do you have a medical reason to be concerned about sugars? If not, spend more time understanding how to consistently maintain a caloric deficit. Once you master the basic principal that governs all weight loss, feel free to "fine tune" your approach with more complicated matters. If you can't do the basics, why muck it up with other stuff? If you do have a medical reason to worry about your sugar intake, make that info known, as there are many here with loads of experience dealing with insulin issues.

No medical reason. Have a deficit everyday just focusing before its too late. Still eat fruit for snacks. Just think if I keep insulin low il burn more fat

Nope. If you do not have a medical condition, there is no reason to be concerned about sugar. Calorie deficit is a calorie deficit. You are not going to magically lose more weight if you keep sugar low.

Calorie deficit is for weight loss, the chemical composition of your chosen foods is for your health. Diseases caused by diet can take 5-50 years to develop. Today and tomorrow you will be fine eating virtually anything, but if you prefer not to wake up sick and miserable in 15 years then thinking about what you eat is important.

Please stop telling people they don't need to care about their nutrition unless they have a documented medical reason. Fitness includes weight and health, not weight alone.

I see nothing in that post telling OP not to worry about health or nutrition. Not focusing on reducing sugar does NOT equal not focusing on health. Sugar is not inherently bad for a healthy individual, stop implying that it will cause someone to wake up "sick and miserable" in 15 years. Unsubstantiated fear mongering is pathetic.

OP, without a medical reason, focusing on reducing sugar will not help you lose anymore weight or fat than you will by reducing calories. I suggest you master your calorie targets first, nail the basics, and then if you want feel free to adjust other variable such as sugar and see how you feel. If you change too many things at once, there is no way for you to truly isolate how something makes you feel.

Op is eating at a deficit already, so according to you it means that we are permitted to talk about the actual composition of his diet now, right?

Sugar is a carbohydrate. Carbohydrates are shorter term fuel than fats or proteins. When the short term fuel is used up or stored, then you get hungry again. I don't know about you, but I eat less when my stomach is not growling. This conversation is about weight loss AND food composition. It is really OK to try and understand chemical processing of food beyond the calorie level of understanding.

Ok, I agree with this post. My previous comment was in response to the implication that I was suggesting that the OP not care about nutrition. Nutrition is absolutely important, but OP has made a couple comments that leads me to think that they believe that a reduction of sugar, when calorie deficit is equal, will lead to extra fat loss. I think you and I agree on the end destination, just looking at it from different angles.
  • tabby_123
    tabby_123 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I had a fabulous breakfast this morning. I had steel cut organic oatmeal with a tbsp. of peanut butter and a packet of Truvia mixed into it. I also boiled two eggs, but was so full after the oatmeal that I could only eat one. I'd say it was the perfect mix of fat, carbs, and proteins for me. Who says you can't have them all for breakfast? :wink:
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OP please stop looking at individual meals as fat sorting/fat burning. Your metabolism is a constant thing regardless of what you eat during each day there will be times when the body is using fat stores and when the body is storing fat.

Your average calorie intake over the whole day is the main determining factor of weigh loss.

Why look at breakfast in isolation when you are going to eat 2/3/4/5 more times that day - concentrate on the basics and the bigger picture and the rest of the stuff sorts it's self out.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    From my diabetic training I prefer a larger breakfast with all my macros. Lunch is typically my skinniest meal of the day. So from my perspective no food is bad for breakfast. I get a little more protein from my cereal if I have it with Greek yogurt. I usually have fruit of some kind, and the equivalent of one whole walnut.

Or an egg based breakfast with toast, tomato slices, and a bit of cheese.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

No medical reason. Have a deficit everyday just focusing before its too late. Still eat fruit for snacks. Just think if I keep insulin low il burn more fat

Nope. If you do not have a medical condition, there is no reason to be concerned about sugar. Calorie deficit is a calorie deficit. You are not going to magically lose more weight if you keep sugar low.

Calorie deficit is for weight loss, the chemical composition of your chosen foods is for your health. Diseases caused by diet can take 5-50 years to develop. Today and tomorrow you will be fine eating virtually anything, but if you prefer not to wake up sick and miserable in 15 years then thinking about what you eat is important.

Please stop telling people they don't need to care about their nutrition unless they have a documented medical reason. Fitness includes weight and health, not weight alone.

I see nothing in that post telling OP not to worry about health or nutrition. Not focusing on reducing sugar does NOT equal not focusing on health. Sugar is not inherently bad for a healthy individual, stop implying that it will cause someone to wake up "sick and miserable" in 15 years. Unsubstantiated fear mongering is pathetic.

OP, without a medical reason, focusing on reducing sugar will not help you lose anymore weight or fat than you will by reducing calories. I suggest you master your calorie targets first, nail the basics, and then if you want feel free to adjust other variable such as sugar and see how you feel. If you change too many things at once, there is no way for you to truly isolate how something makes you feel.

Op is eating at a deficit already, so according to you it means that we are permitted to talk about the actual composition of his diet now, right?

Sugar is a carbohydrate. Carbohydrates are shorter term fuel than fats or proteins. When the short term fuel is used up or stored, then you get hungry again. I don't know about you, but I eat less when my stomach is not growling. This conversation is about weight loss AND food composition. It is really OK to try and understand chemical processing of food beyond the calorie level of understanding.

Ok, I agree with this post. My previous comment was in response to the implication that I was suggesting that the OP not care about nutrition. Nutrition is absolutely important, but OP has made a couple comments that leads me to think that they believe that a reduction of sugar, when calorie deficit is equal, will lead to extra fat loss. I think you and I agree on the end destination, just looking at it from different angles.

eeks, yes, understand and also agreed, thank you!

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    If I eat a carb heavy breakfast it triggers hunger

A more fat and protein breakfast leaves me satisfied longer

That is a total personal preference and may not apply Romany other people.

I know many people have a hormone dump and insulin spike in that 4:00 am range each day. I know I do and my glucose tester confirms it

So I have my higher blood sugar nTirally in the morning and the protein is what I need and satisfying

By noon I hit some carbs. If I have an afternoon workout on
    Weights I get more around 3.

It depends what your goals are as to what to eat.

You can treat it as simple CICO, or you can treat your body like a chemistry set.

Are you losing weight only?

Are you doing body comp?

I would try each and monitor the results. 2 weeks on either one will give you some results to look at.
  • bobby19666
    bobby19666 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    tabby_123 wrote: »
    I had a fabulous breakfast this morning. I had steel cut organic oatmeal with a tbsp. of peanut butter and a packet of Truvia mixed into it. I also boiled two eggs, but was so full after the oatmeal that I could only eat one. I'd say it was the perfect mix of fat, carbs, and proteins for me. Who says you can't have them all for breakfast? :wink:

Love a good mix of protein and fat lol
  • bobby19666
    Options
    If I eat a carb heavy breakfast it triggers hunger

A more fat and protein breakfast leaves me satisfied longer

That is a total personal preference and may not apply Romany other people.

I know many people have a hormone dump and insulin spike in that 4:00 am range each day. I know I do and my glucose tester confirms it

So I have my higher blood sugar nTirally in the morning and the protein is what I need and satisfying

By noon I hit some carbs. If I have an afternoon workout on
    Weights I get more around 3.

It depends what your goals are as to what to eat.

You can treat it as simple CICO, or you can treat your body like a chemistry set.

Are you losing weight only?

Are you doing body comp?

I would try each and monitor the results. 2 weeks on either one will give you some results to look at.

Lose weight. Obviously eating all sugar is bad. My question was regarding breakfast which is meant to determine how your body runs the rest of the day. Refined sugar is empty calories, fruit is fine but by sugar I mean cakes etc
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

you do realize that the OP was concerned about eating fruit right? because fruit has sugar...so you think fruit is bad nutrition?

I must be doing it wrong...
  • bobby19666
    Options
    I should say I'm in UK. A lot of studies I have read now states sugar is the enemy. Tbh cutting out foods high ultimately lead me to eat less calories as I'm fuller and I have list 7 lb in 10 days so I'm 12 s 8 lb now.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Saying that the macro breakdown of his breakfast doesn't matter other than how it might prove to affect him personally (and that people vary) is not the same thing as saying that he doesn't need to care about nutrition, rather obviously. Same with saying that he doesn't need to worry about sugar so much, to the extent that he would avoid fruit.

Personally, I would consider a carb-free breakfast not nutritionally ideal at all, but I don't think choosing it means that you don't care about nutrition, as obviously there are other times to eat in a day and what matters is the overall diet.

For me, though--not necessarily OP--breakfast is a great time to get in some vegetables and I usually have fruit as well, in addition to eggs and some other protein. Sometimes I even have steel cut oats with my berries and veggies.
  • bobby19666
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

you do realize that the OP was concerned about eating fruit right? because fruit has sugar...so you think fruit is bad nutrition?

I must be doing it wrong...

I still eat fruit maybe 5 a day. There's a lot of mixed advice, I'm aiming not to eat processed. However if certain foods raise metabolism for same calories such as chilli, it's obvious others will slow metabolism down. Let's say 2500 calories is basal metabolic rate, and 2 calories a minute is burned resting. If you can make it 2.2 by the right foods you can burn more. Slowing it to means it's easier to gain weight
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I should say I'm in UK. A lot of studies I have read now states sugar is the enemy. Tbh cutting out foods high ultimately lead me to eat less calories as I'm fuller and I have list 7 lb in 10 days so I'm 12 s 8 lb now.

eating cake and washing it down with a coca cola and then having some cookies...probably not the best idea.

having 2-3 servings of healthy, vitamin packed, fiber packed fruit...perfectly fine...and actually really good for you.

I usually have a couple of scrambled eggs and a serving of oats topped with a handful of blueberries and usually a low sodium V8...breakfast is rich in protein, fiber filled oats, and antioxidant awesomeness with the blueberries. Lots of extra vitamins and minerals and lycopene...good for the old ticker.

matters of nutrition are rarely as black and white as this is "bad" or the enemy and this is "good"
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Could you show any of these studies? The members of this forum have read hundreds upon hundreds of studies and I have never seen one that said "sugar is bad". Would just like to see where you are coming from.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Would be interested in seeing those studies.

My guess is they don't really say that.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    calories in and calories out..seriously! What diet you choose to follow is personal preference. I eat meals high in protein, moderate carbs and low in fat. It's just what works for me. If your weight training, obviously protein should be a priority as well as carbs.
  • bobby19666
    Options

eating cake and washing it down with a coca cola and then having some cookies...probably not the best idea.

having 2-3 servings of healthy, vitamin packed, fiber packed fruit...perfectly fine...and actually really good for you.

I usually have a couple of scrambled eggs and a serving of oats topped with a handful of blueberries and usually a low sodium V8...breakfast is rich in protein, fiber filled oats, and antioxidant awesomeness with the blueberries. Lots of extra vitamins and minerals and lycopene...good for the old ticker.

matters of nutrition are rarely as black and white as this is "bad" or the enemy and this is "good"

Agreed. However look at most processed foods including cereals etc. They're fortified with SUGAR even healthy snacks and low fat foods. Why, people were never this overweight before and they lived on tonnes of fried food. Now there is a obesity epidemic. And I believe regardless of types of foods it's the sugar content
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Agreed. However look at most processed foods including cereals etc. They're fortified with SUGAR even healthy snacks and low fat foods. Why, people were never this overweight before and they lived on tonnes of fried food. Now there is a obesity epidemic. And I believe regardless of types of foods it's the sugar content

But if you believe that sugar makes you fat, regardless of amount, how could a person be lean while consuming lots of sugar?

• bobby19666
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Could you show any of these studies? The members of this forum have read hundreds upon hundreds of studies and I have never seen one that said "sugar is bad". Would just like to see where you are coming from.

http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/

first search in google