Protein shakes ?

Options
Is there a limit on how many shakes I should be drinking a day ?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Depends how fast you want to burn through money I guess. I wouldn't have more than 2 a day, I had 3 and my stomach didn't feel good after.

• Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Shakes should be strictly a convenience thing. Real food is best for muscle growth & overall health, plus supps are expensive. I try to keep it to just 1 per day to make sure I am eating actual food, but occasionally 2 or even 3 shakes is the only way to get my cals in for the day with my schedule. Guess it depends on your lifestyle/disposable income
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've pretty much eliminated shakes from my diet. I only take one once in a while now if I really need it. I've replaced them with cottage cheese, tuna and chicken.
  • jmacmittens
    jmacmittens Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Im eating till I can't take another bite and still not gaining so I was thinking of eating till I cant anymore then drinking a shake after every meal. I'm not worried about the money .. Just wondering if there is a way to take in to much ?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Im eating till I can't take another bite and still not gaining so I was thinking of eating till I cant anymore then drinking a shake after every meal. I'm not worried about the money .. Just wondering if there is a way to take in to much ?

You're eating the wrong foods/drinks if you really can't gain weight. Stick to calorie dense foods: juice, whole fat dairy products (including milk, butter, and cheese), peanut butter, nuts, soda, etc.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Yes if you are eating more than 1g or protein per pound of body fat you are getting expensive carbs that are more filling than carbs and fat for the same calorie value. If you have enough protein than look for carbs and fat rather than more protein. To be harmful you would probably have to be taking in a huge amount but if you want to gain weight and really want a weight gainer shake use a smoothy with peanut butter mixed in instead.
  • MetalbonesMH
    MetalbonesMH Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have had 1 shake every morning, along with Cod liver oil, viteman D and a multi Vita. I have done it for years and probably won't ever stop
  • deceived1
    deceived1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I usually make mine as a treat: 170g peanut butter swirl icecream, two scoops of vanilla protein powder, and whole milk. Comes to 555 calories with what I use and tastes delicious.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I use to think protein shakes were the way to go but really, it's much better to just eat actual food. Some brands aren't honest when it comes to protein and use fillers to up the protein dosage. They're called "supplements" for a reason and they're there if you have a hard time reaching protein needs. I do have a shake if I crave something sweet or need help reaching protein goal. As others have said, your not eating the right foods to gain weight. Instead of using water in your shake, use milk and add some peanut butter, fruits..etc.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much eliminated shakes from my diet. I only take one once in a while now if I really need it. I've replaced them with cottage cheese, tuna and chicken.

this…

I keep some protein powder in the house,but I only use it if I am low on protein or need a quick snack before going out…

• nerdygymrat9
    nerdygymrat9 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think that with the shakes it comes down to personal preference and need. So if you are low on protein and you need it to supplement your diet, then definitely use it! I used to drink 2-3 large protein shakes every day (so maybe a third of my protein came from the shakes or around 75-80 grams) since I did not eat so much meat or other protein sources but since I have incorporated more chicken and fish into my diet, I still have two shakes but it is to a lesser extent or about half of the amount of protein that I used to drink. Plus I just really enjoy the flavor haha.
  • jmacmittens
    jmacmittens Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks !!!
  • MsSquatAlot
    MsSquatAlot Posts: 238 Member
    Options

My husband (just got his pro-card) drinks Gaspari Real Mass to aid in gaining weight as his appetite is not always up to how much food he needs to consume. He was drinking ON's Serious Mass for awhile but caused excess bloat. Yes, food is better BUT if you are wanting to gain weight, sometimes you actually cannot get enough calories in without shakes.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I have one a day. Just tried that Chocolate almond milk with it, omg so good
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

No, there isn't a limit assuming you have no medical issue (e.g., failing kidneys).

I like to add though that it is a supplement and whole food is a much better choice IMHO.

Personally I feel I've achieved better results without consuming a shake and hitting my macros through food.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

No, there isn't a limit assuming you have no medical issue (e.g., failing kidneys).

I like to add though that it is a supplement and whole food is a much better choice IMHO.

Personally I feel I've achieved better results without consuming a shake and hitting my macros through food.

agree..
    every time I drink a protein shake I am starving about an hour or two later