Accuracy

Options
2»

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    aleycat1 wrote: »
    This thread has been really helpful. I'm going to keep exercising and will take 25% off the readout number and see if that will help. I have stated weighing my food but I do eat out frequently so there's alot of guessing. Its really hard. I just want to lose 10lbs!! Thanks to all

The last 10 pounds are always the hardest. You have to be pretty dedicated. The difference in exercise calories should help some.

If you're used to eating every calorie you have available in MFP then I'd recommend only entering the amount of calories you plan to eat and not entering all of them and then planning to only eat a percentage.

One thing to consider, though. Rather than focus on losing 10 more pounds, you might look into body recomposition. Rather than losing weight (a combination of fat, muscle and water) add strength training to your routine and more of your loss will be from fat. Your weight won't change much but you'll get firmer and smaller and that's what most of us really want when we think "10 pounds".
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Those machines calculations are awful. They tell you that your body burns more so that you'll use their machine and not a competitors machine. Start with half of what the machine says.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    BTW when I said see my heart rate, I meant on the equipment's display, it also controls the level/resistance/incline to keep it there, all I have to do is control my speed.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    aleycat1 wrote: »
    This thread has been really helpful. I'm going to keep exercising and will take 25% off the readout number and see if that will help. I have stated weighing my food but I do eat out frequently so there's alot of guessing. Its really hard. I just want to lose 10lbs!! Thanks to all

You can look up the calories at meals at chain restaurants. I plan everything ahead of time. We went to Red Robin, and I got the one thing that had less than 500 cal on the whole menu! LOL.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Every study has shown these to be wildly inaccurate - as much as 100% inflation. If you fall in the median height and weight the accuracy will increase, based on the algorithms used.

If you're doing steady state cardo and have a smart phone, the Polar H7 is a great investment and cool motivator.
  • RichardBenson99
    RichardBenson99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't input ANY of the calories I burn during exercise. I try to keep my daily input under my target input regardless of my exercise level, and consider my exercise to be a bonus. You just have to find out what works for you.

I was never the sort of person to count calories, but using MFP and becoming adept at weighing my food and estimating my portions has worked for me.

35 lbs. lost since Christmas!