Fish?

Options
2»

Replies

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I like the salmon with honey mustard glaze (also baked). I found lots of ways to prepare fish from allrecipes.com where you can find almost any type of cuisine or ingredient to work around. I've wrapped the fish in puff pastry, I've glazed it, I've marinaded it, and my husband has so far liked all of the ways I've found from the website. I'm a huge fish fan, but I can take simple and any type of fish. Hubby is a little more difficult to please and I found that if you like the ingredients (besides the fish), you might end of liking the finished product anyway. Have fun and good luck! :smiley:
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    jacque930 wrote: »
    Costco is a great place to purchase Frozen Tilapia or Salmon. I purchase mine there and have fish at least once a week. I will bake it in my oven or toaster oven. Sometimes will make a foil packet and put it on the grill. I find buying a couple spice blends that are geared towards fish help with flavoring. I found a couple at Penzey's spice store but I know you can find them at any grocery store. Also I have used a small amount of olive oil and balsamic vinegar to bake the fish in. A few ideas for flavoring. - Good luck!

Seconded. Costco and Sams sell huge servings of Salmon for pretty cheap (even in CO). My mom used to buy a whole slab and then divvy it out into meal-sized servings, freezing what she needed to. We ate salmon semi-regularly on a super-budget. That was pretty awesome.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I fried a pound of tilapia crusted in my croutons and made fish tacos last night. Needed more croutons for more crunch. But still a decent attempt.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I live far from the ocean so all the non-stream fish we buy is frozen. Except for thick cuts or steak type fish, frozen fish can be put in the oven to bake while still frozen.

Otherwise I put it in the fridge before I leave for work in the morning and it's thawed by the time I get home.

I buy whatever brand is cheapest, which is usually the store brand. My grocery has a fish counter but nearly all the fish is previously frozen so I rarely bother with the thawed stuff. I prefer to buy frozen and thaw it myself so I know how long it's been thawed.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I live in Colorado, here's your solution.

h64adi14x65e.gif
    Dang, that's great. I've always wanted to go fishing or hunting.

• carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For those that want to fish- many areas offer "GoFish" programs that teach you how and provide the gear. They may be offered by government agencies, outdoor/fishing associations or even your local fishing gear store. Nothing beats a freshly caught fish:)
    @Rworthy cleaning the fish- slit the bottom, pull out the organs and can just stuff the fish cavity with seasonings like lemon or herbs. Cook it whole and the main spine bone will just pull out.