Favorite Restaurant Substitutions

Options
I am what you would call a social butterfly. I love to go out with friends and family but sometimes that can be my downfall when it comes to healthy eating! What are some of your favorite Restaurant substitutions? What Techniques do you use to keep from over indulging? and are there any certain foods that you absolutely say "NO" to? I'd love to hear what everyone has to say. :smile:

Replies

• withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I usually stick to side orders when I go out, or immediately seperate what I won't eat to stay within my goal. I don't go out much though
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging is my best friend. If I know I'm going out, I'll look at the menu beforehand, see what I want, and manipulate the rest of my meals so that I hit my calorie and macro goals.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    1) Split entrees if they're huge.
    2) Skip appetizers/free bread, they're usually calorie bombs and you still have the main course and maybe dessert to get to.
    3) Go for the grilled stuff, don't even glance at the fried stuff - chicken/steak, ask if they can be cooked with no extra butter or oil
    4) Skip calorie bomb sauces (raaaaanch and any creamy dressing)
    5) Sub out the fries for seasonal vegetables
    6) Skip unnecessary things - croutons and those crispy strip things on your salad
    7) Optional: don't even try dessert if you have no willpower like me. It never stops with just a bite! lol.
    8) Optional: try to skip alcohol or limit it (I don't drink, so yay for me)
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Pre-logging is my best friend. If I know I'm going out, I'll look at the menu beforehand, see what I want, and manipulate the rest of my meals so that I hit my calorie and macro goals.

^^ This 100%
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I look for soup and salad combos. Pick broth-y soups like vegetable and minestrone instead of cream soups like broccoli, potato or clam chowder. I live in Florida so I'm pretty lucky. It's relatively easy to get grilled fish, shrimp salad with fresh squeezed lemon or lime, broiled scallops and such.

I generally avoid dessert. It's usually not worth it unless the restaurant is known for their homemade desserts. Most chain restaurants have just so-so desserts anyway and aren't worth the calories.

I like the previous posters suggestion to choose from the menu what you'd like to have then work the rest of your days calories around it.
  • Bree_Travels
    Bree_Travels Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    stfuriada wrote: »
    1) Split entrees if they're huge.
    2) Skip appetizers/free bread, they're usually calorie bombs and you still have the main course and maybe dessert to get to.
    3) Go for the grilled stuff, don't even glance at the fried stuff - chicken/steak, ask if they can be cooked with no extra butter or oil
    4) Skip calorie bomb sauces (raaaaanch and any creamy dressing)
    5) Sub out the fries for seasonal vegetables
    6) Skip unnecessary things - croutons and those crispy strip things on your salad
    7) Optional: don't even try dessert if you have no willpower like me. It never stops with just a bite! lol.
    8) Optional: try to skip alcohol or limit it (I don't drink, so yay for me)

Ugh! I have to admit alcohol is my weakness when eating out AND when eating red meat. Nothing like a nice red wine to go with that steak, lol. That's always the area where I have to catch myself and restrict myself.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Study the menu and prelog. If you're going to a non-chain restaurant, look at several chain restaurant calories to compare.

Ask for a box up front. If you're going out with people who insist on ordering something for the table to share, try to guesstimate how many bites and how many calories those bites will cost you. (I might have wiped out my daily deficit with a quesadilla quarter one night.) No one has mentioned fish so far--those are often fewer calories than chicken or steak.
  • L1zzydarcy
    L1zzydarcy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I look at the menu online and decide ahead of time. Also ask for a box right away and split your meal before you start eating. Get a broth based soup as a side if it's an option.
  • lucy16076
    lucy16076 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started to focus in on trying salads when I eat out. I have, happily found several that are yummy & not calorie-riden. Add grilled chicken or steak & it's a good meal! I know rabbit food isn't always the go-to on the menu when eating out, but give them a shot & you might be surprised...then that glass of red won't be such a no-no :)
    I agree...knowing the menu ahead helps keep you from impulse eating off the deep fried portion of the menu!
    And downing an entire glass of water before deciding what you'll eat, is always a bonus! Fills the void & makes you feel more full so as not to order more than you can eat!
    Bottom line...there is always room for indulgence! You just have to plan for it! Manoeuvre your daily calories and/or exercise on a day you know you'll be indulging....I know I know....all easier said than done! lol...