B210K

Options
LLduds
LLduds Posts: 258 Member
Any C25K graduates out there who are now training for 10K? I'd love to find some more newbie runner friends :)

Replies

• Junomatic
    Junomatic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey. I'm about half way through the B210K (just finished week 11 today), and I'd love some more people to chat with about it. The program is great, and it's definitely a work out. Are you planning on running a 10K marathon?
  • LLduds
    Options
    I've never run an actual race before, so I signed up for some 5Ks in August, then some 10Ks in Sept/Oct, and a half-marathon in late November. I've pretty much lost my mind :) What program are you using?
  • Junomatic
    Junomatic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good luck with all of them! I'm running my 10K in October, and then I'll begin looking into running a half marathon. I've already worked through the C25K and found it really helpful. The B210K is much more challenging, but still really enjoyable.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I don't like B210K, for three reasons: (1) It reintroduces walk breaks. Why? (2) All three weekly runs are the same. Why? (3) It adds volume too quickly. Many people who try it get overuse injuries (based on my completely unscientific survey of the /r/B210K subreddit). All three of those violate basic principles of training.

Here's what I suggest. Once you can run 5K three times a week and have done so for a month, you can dub one of your runs your "long run" and add 0.5-1K each week until your long run is 10K. That's much simpler. Your long run will make you faster on the shorter runs.

Once you reach 10K on your long run, you can lengthen your shorter runs, or add a fourth running day. In any case, it's good to mix up your running: long run for endurance; a relatively short, fast run once a week for improving lactate threshold; and the rest of your runs at slow to moderate pace to build a base. After 6-12 months you can add intervals for speed if you want, or hill repeats. Some of the running experts at the /r/running put together a Google Doc on the "order of operations" for improving your running; it's worth a look:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3TYR3d9S1s1dFpwa3E4NmZfOW8/view
  • LLduds
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    I don't like B210K, for three reasons: (1) It reintroduces walk breaks. Why? (2) All three weekly runs are the same. Why? (3) It adds volume too quickly. Many people who try it get overuse injuries (based on my completely unscientific survey of the /r/B210K subreddit). All three of those violate basic principles of training.

Here's what I suggest. Once you can run 5K three times a week and have done so for a month, you can dub one of your runs your "long run" and add 0.5-1K each week until your long run is 10K. That's much simpler. Your long run will make you faster on the shorter runs.

Once you reach 10K on your long run, you can lengthen your shorter runs, or add a fourth running day. In any case, it's good to mix up your running: long run for endurance; a relatively short, fast run once a week for improving lactate threshold; and the rest of your runs at slow to moderate pace to build a base. After 6-12 months you can add intervals for speed if you want, or hill repeats. Some of the running experts at the /r/running put together a Google Doc on the "order of operations" for improving your running; it's worth a look:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3TYR3d9S1s1dFpwa3E4NmZfOW8/view

I downloaded 2 different apps/programs for the 10K trainer - one by Zen Labs, and one by Active Network. They are very different...it sounds like you're describing the Zen Labs one. Thanks for this resource; I'll definitely check it out!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    I downloaded 2 different apps/programs for the 10K trainer - one by Zen Labs, and one by Active Network. They are very different...it sounds like you're describing the Zen Labs one. Thanks for this resource; I'll definitely check it out!

The registered trademark for "Bridge to 10K" is held by Bluefin Software:
    http://blog.bluefinapps.com/about-bridge-to-10k/

That's the program that I think is terrible. I don't know the other ones. I don't use apps, but I have consulted a number of books, both from the 1990s (Jeff Galloway, Galloway's Book on Running; the New York Road Runners' Club book on running, and Tim Noakes, Lore of Running, 3rd ed.) and more recent (above all, Owen Anderson's excellent Running Science and Bill Pierce et al., Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster), and a number of online programs. Hal Higdon's programs are pretty good. A couple of other popular coaches/writers are Phil Maffetone and Jack Daniels (no, not that Jack Daniels) for running, and Joe Friel for cycling/triathlons.
  • LLduds
    Options
    Thanks @bwogilvie - very helpful info!!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I don't use the program mentioned, but I am a newbie runner working towards running a virtual 10k in September and live one in October. Feel free to add me as I am looking for runner friends.
  • LLduds
    Options
    The Zen Labs app is identical to the Bluefin program...thanks for the link. I ordered a couple of the books you recommended :)

@debubbie - I sent you a friend request!