Favourite lactose free frozen desserts ("ice cream"s)?

Options
I'm lactose intolerant, and it seems to be getting worse all the time. I used to be able to eat ice cream as long as I took lactase, but that doesn't seem to be enough anymore.

Does anyone have recommendations for their favourite lactose free frozen desserts? It doesn't have to be dairy free (e.g. frozen yogurts are probably fine, since yogurt is low in lactose), but can't be full on ice cream. I'm not a huge fan of coconut, either. Mini ice cream sandwiches are something I like too. I don't really care for the ones sweetened with sugar alcohols either - upsets my stomach.

Many of them seem to be quite high calorie. If there's flavours you like that are more in the range of 140/half cup instead of 200/half cup, that'd be great. I don't really want fat free, since I find them not very satisfying on the creaminess scale...

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I personally just stick to frozen fruit "popsicles". I don't find the lactose free "ice cream" worth my calories.
  • mose09
    mose09 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Can you eat cream cheese? Not sure the varying degree of lactose in dairy products. You mentioned yogurt might be alright.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I do eat cream cheese, but in pretty small quantities generally. I don't think it's low in lactose, I just don't eat more than about 2 tbsp at a time.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I just tried a cashew milk ice cream as I have a mild dairy allergy and it was actually really good. Some of the non-dairy ice creams just make me want real ice cream, but this one was good on its own. Snickerdoodle flavor but it is 190 calories for half a cup, plus a tad pricey as they don't often do sales on those types, unlike the regular ice creams.

Does gelato have much in the way of lactose? I love mango gelato but can rarely have any.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you like Noosa brand yogurt, it is great partially frozen. I like to stir in pistachios or almonds, put it in the freezer for an hour or two, and then eat it.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    so delicious cashew milk ice cream, for sure.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Another vote for cashew milk ice cream here. Diana's Bananas dark chocolate flavor is another favorite.
  • mathandcats
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The So Delicious cashew milk ones are definitely intriguing. I've heard good things about the coconut ones, but I don't like coconut.... I'll see if the store has the cashew milk ones, thanks for the suggestion!

edit: Are the almond milk ones not as good?
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You can get the same creamy mouth texture feel from some of the higher end brands of gelatos, which are lactose/dairy free. Italian ices, sherberts and sorbets are also nice frozen options.

Then you also have your standard popsicles and frozen fruit bars. Never tried em, but several premium ice cream brands have a lactose free line/selection ( Breyer's comes to mind ).

Recently, I bought a 100 ct box of Pop-Ice bars, and have been going thru those. Its basically pre-packaged low sugar kool-aid in a plastic sleeve that you freezer yourself at home. Best part, only 40 cals per. Reminds me of being a kid, and the old molds they used to sell to make em at home.
  • meglettuce
    meglettuce Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I make a frozen banana 'ice cream':
    2x frozen bananas
    1x tablespoon peanut butter (or for more volume use an avocado)
    1x large tablespoon cocoa powder
    Sugar/syrup to sweeten

I just throw everything into my food processor and it comes out as an ice cream type texture. We really like it and you can mess around with the flavours and add other fruit to make more volume (but we like extra peanut butter!)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Check out yonanas :)
  • mathandcats
    Options
    It seems that So Delicious doesn't sell the almond or cashew milk products in Canada. I'm moving to the US for school soon, so I guess I'll look for them then. I'll see what I can find in stores here in the mean time.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Luna and Larry's Coconut Bliss Ice creams are the best I have tried (and I have tried many). if you can get hem where you live, you should definitely try them. let them soften for a few minutes and they taste exactly like dairy ice cream.
  • mathandcats
    Options
    I found the cashew milk So Delicious! They only had dark chocolate truffle. It was good, very creamy. I did taste the cashew but it really works well with the chocolate, so no complaints. A bit higher calorie than I'd normally like, but I actually found 1/4 cup totally satisfying because of how intense the chocolate flavour is. Definitely a winner, and I'll keep my eye out for any other flavours that might be lurking in town.

As for the coconut bliss: those are way too high calorie for me, and I don't really like coconut. My sister in law loves those but I don't think I'll be trying them.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I've tried several non-dairy ice creams, and I agree with previous posters that cashew is the best tasting. So Delicious salted caramel cluster is amazing, though a bit higher cal (still under 200, though). It tastes like a premium ice cream, so it's very satisfying even in smaller quantities.

• mathandcats
    Options
    I've tried several non-dairy ice creams, and I agree with previous posters that cashew is the best tasting. So Delicious salted caramel cluster is amazing, though a bit higher cal (still under 200, though). It tastes like a premium ice cream, so it's very satisfying even in smaller quantities.
    That's the flavour I wanted to try, but I didn't see it at any of the stores here. It sounds so good!! I'll definitely keep looking and if I can't find it here, I hope I can find it once I move south.
  • Masil20
    Masil20 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Breyer's makes a lactose free vanilla and chocolate, though the chocolate is hard to find. My daughter is lactose intolerant so we get it for her, but it tastes no different and others in the family eat it too. I think it is even the same prices as their other ice creams.