2»

Replies

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Don't try NuSalt. It's vile. I ran to the sink and spit it out and had to get other stuff into my mouth to kill the horrific taste. I'm not even sure just who the heck is buying that stuff. It's like tin foil dipped in poo that was set on fire. So disgusting.

I know quite a few people who buy that stuff. I don't think it tastes too bad on popcorn, although it doesn't taste much like salt.

Salt on popcorn? Is this normal? Do they put salt on popcorn at the movies?

Haven't added salt or had popcorn in ages.

You are kidding, right?

Nope serious. Like I said I haven't had popcorn in ages and I don't remember them being salty.

movie theatre popcorn is loaded with salt. lol
  • Tami_H
    Tami_H Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Great feedback! I will definitely avoid NuSalt. Sounds awful. The comparison was hilarious though. I don't eat a ton of popcorn so that won't be a probem for me but i will be cutting out a few other things like deli salads and noodles or rice that are pre seasoned. I will avoid the cleanse for now too.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Tami_H wrote: »
    Thanks for all the wonderful feedback. My doctor hasn't set a protein limit yet but I am trying to be proactive with the diet because I've read that you can't bring those GFR rates back up once they start to drop and my BUN and CREAT both went up into the danger zone within the last 6 months. The doc wants me to come back in 6 months for a recheck so I need to have this under control. I was doing a vegan protein shake which I love but it has 480gms of sodium so I think I need to give it up. I am okay with giving up lunch meat and I am a pretty good cook so I think I will look for some vegetarian recipes. I've also been researching the "Dash" diet.

Not that my problem was kidney disease, but since diagnosis and control of my autoimmune disease, my GFR has improved by several percentage points. I do avoid pre-existing and post-workout supplements with creatine in them though. Animal proteins are the most bio-available proteins, meaning your body is able to convert more of them for immediate use. I would think the more my body is using the less my kidneys for filtering, but I may be wrong. Check with a registered dietician or nephrologist on how much protein you should get from what sources. Good luck.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You can microwave popcorn with no salt by using a lunch paper bag, some kernels, and a little vegetable oil. Butternut squash with brown sugar and pepper, whole grain pasta with roasted veggies, spices and olive oil, homemade hummus with low salt crackers, carrots, celery, cukes, and tomatoes, vinegar is a low salt but salty tasting alternative (as opposed to dressing - which tends to be salty - ALL CONDIMENTS and SAUCES are salty (except maybe mustard and honey mustard??). Good luck!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    My daughter mentioned that I should try a cleanse diet to get rid of my taste for salt so I will probably try that too and then replace sodium based seasonings with the ones mentioned here.
    Nope
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Movie popcorn has salt added, and then salt shakers at the butter stands. my dad steals the salt shakers in a wad of napkins so that he can add salt in the theater.. One day he will get caught...
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My daughter mentioned that I should try a cleanse diet to get rid of my taste for salt so I will probably try that too and then replace sodium based seasonings with the ones mentioned here.

Please, please don't. Cleanses are pointless for people who are completely healthy, but could be very dangerous for you.

I suspect a registered dietician is going to be able to offer some very helpful advice.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    Movie popcorn has salt added, and then salt shakers at the butter stands. my dad steals the salt shakers in a wad of napkins so that he can add salt in the theater.. One day he will get caught...

My mom brought her own. Their salt wasn't enough for her, lol.

She died in her early sixties. If your dad is like my mom was, he won't care. But he has to be old enough to realize that sixty really is coming. Tell him that you don't get away with that crap forever. It catches up with you.

Cardiologists' waiting rooms are full of people who didn't care when they were young, but care a whole lot now that the damage is done!

Some people really never want to change, though, and we have to respect that choice. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Don't try NuSalt. It's vile. I ran to the sink and spit it out and had to get other stuff into my mouth to kill the horrific taste. I'm not even sure just who the heck is buying that stuff. It's like tin foil dipped in poo that was set on fire. So disgusting.

I know quite a few people who buy that stuff. I don't think it tastes too bad on popcorn, although it doesn't taste much like salt.

You are kidding, right?

Nope serious. Like I said I haven't had popcorn in ages and I don't remember them being salty.

...How do you remember "them"?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

You are kidding, right?

Either this is a huge cultural difference or your memory is really bad. :) I'm kind of surprised by this is everyone I know who has lived in Australia remarks that the food there is quite salty.

Commercially-made popcorn is kind of the definition of salty.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am totally salt less and cook from scratch
    I do however eat some protein
    You can add me if you want. I keep a log of all my recipes and photograph them.

Going salt less was pretty easy btw..i cook with a lot of herbs and spices too.
    But i still use as much protein as i can bare lol
    And it is going terrific, stats are excellent.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

You are kidding, right?

...How do you remember "them"?

I remember them tasting like popcorn(helpful right). Maybe it's because most popcorn I ate was homemade and didn't add salt. Or that colourful popcorn that you get in a cone shaped bag.

Or more likely my memory isn't correct.