Dealing with Pain

Options
Hey everyone. I just have a question to ask/topic I'd like to hear some other opinions about. I've just got back into exercising regularly, and along with working approx. 50 hours a week, I'm really starting to feel the pain. I know how important stretching is, before and after working out, and how important rest is, but does anyone else have advice about how to deal with the extra pain, and how to minimize it? (Especially in feet/ankles/lower back).

Replies

• tenkides
    tenkides Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Try the advertised 25 min workout on the blog here. Try to do that at least once a week. Doing this has stopped all my pain. I had to do the easier options for about a month.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Slow down...you may be overdoing it. It's ok to be a little sore the next day after a workout but you shouldn't be in pain. If you are just starting out...start at a slow pace and work your way up over several weeks.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Slow down...you may be overdoing it. It's ok to be a little sore the next day after a workout but you shouldn't be in pain. If you are just starting out...start at a slow pace and work your way up over several weeks.

This.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts are you doing where it hurts your feet? I always had bad feet, but I really messed them up last year when I did Insanity. 2 weeks in, and I couldn't even do it because the foot pain was so bad a few minutes in. Be careful with your feet. I developed heel spurs and plantar fasciitis in both feet. In the last year, even with orthodix and icing, it has been getting worse. I gained back the 20lbs that I lost with Insanity because I could barely walk. Now I'm walking 2-5 miles a day(depending on if it's a good day), but taking it slow. I also take pain pills for it, if it is bad. Don't do what I did to your feet!!!
  • AllisaLaur
    AllisaLaur Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Its not the workouts that are putting me in pain its the ridiculous amount of time I spend working. I want to work out but I feel exhausted all the time and the pain doesn't help!
  • MayaEmProject
    MayaEmProject Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Why are you working out so much? If you feel exhausted give it a break... It suppose to makes you feel better not worst.
    Don't know what your goal is due to what you've been doing, but after achieving your goal are you capable to keep up on weekly 50 hours working out for all of your life?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    L-glutamine supplements spped up recovery (for me) quite a lot.
  • AllisaLaur
    AllisaLaur Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Why are you working out so much? If you feel exhausted give it a break... It suppose to makes you feel better not worst.
    Don't know what your goal is due to what you've been doing, but after achieving your goal are you capable to keep up on weekly 50 hours working out for all of your life?

Im not spending 50 hours a week working OUT just working, like my full time job + weekend job.
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You mention feet/ankle/low back pain. I deal with low back pain. Have to be careful how I lift and stand. Make sure I don't sit too much. Mine is due to weak core, poor posture and a pelvic misalignment. I use a tennis ball and sandwich it between my body and a wall to really dig into my glutes. This helps release trigger points and that usually helps with pain. Wouldn't hurt to see a chiro or doctor, too.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Might try getting more potassium in your diet, sometimes that helps. Also, try a heating pad. That works pretty well for me.

You might also look into different shoes. I don't know how much you're on your feet at work, but shoes with proper support make a HUGE difference there! Also need to make sure you're using proper shoes for when you exercise too.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Check your shoes and your posture when you are standing/walking. Stretch and roll out your muscles when you get home. I find that yoga helps a lot with the stiffness that I get from working on my feet all day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When I had back issues, it was a sciatic issue, when I had foot/ankle issues, it was plantars fasciitis. If there is pain, you should probably get it checked out sooner rather than later. If it's either of the previously mentioned, the longer you wait, the longer the rehabilitation will take.

But what I had to do, is limit cardio, physical therapy and get some stability shoes. Even after 6 months, I still get soreness if I do anything cardio-ish
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Ankle/foot pain? Not sure stretching is going to help you that much. It's your shoes. If you're on your feet all day, time to look into comfort shoes for work.

For lower back, sleep with a pillow under your knees. And maybe see a doctor.

And let me second that your workouts should not leave you in pain, beyond DOMS.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

And let me second that your workouts should not leave you in pain, beyond DOMS.

SO TRUE - Pain does NOT equal gain. Listen to it. Have a doctor listen to it, too.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    at some point, 'dealing with pain' becomes an over use injury. Personally don't think that exercise should leave you in pain, and if your routinely experiencing DOMS, I feel like your probably working harder then you need too in order so see results... and your probably setting yourself up for injury.

if you have persistent pain you might want to take some time off, scale back and slowly build up, or go see a doctor... all do all three