How to be Meaty...

So, this is what I do... I'm not a trainer... I'm just a meathead. (And this isn't to say I'm "right," this is only to say that the following works for me...) (Oh, and the word "meathead" is not offensive to those of us who are actually meatheads.)

Food and Calories:
+ All natural food (I have adopted a lifestyle of avoiding processed foods, whenever possible...though this is hard to do.)
+ Whole and/or raw fruits and vegetables (I typically juice them)
+ Lots of chicken, and some red meat (which is tough, because I would marry a prime rib steak if it were legal)
+ I do NOT eat much fish (fish is absolutely the healthiest meat you can eat...I just can't stand the taste...)
+ I do NOT meticulously count and log calories.
+ I DO keep a mental note of how much I've eaten and approximate daily caloric intake.

Water:
+ 1 to 1.5 gallons, per day (yes, really)
+ I buy the 88 cent gallon jugs of spring water at Walmart. (It's not the best tasting water, but it's clean and portable.)

Workouts:
+ I workout 2-4 times per day, 6 days a week.
---- 5AM(ish), I walk / run 2 miles with my wife (we have a 0.5 trek mapped-out around our driveway and street)
---- 7AM, I swim laps with my sons at a newly opened aquatic center with indoor pools
---- Between 9AM to 6PM, I lift (see "Gym Time" below)
---- 8PM+, I walk / run another 2 miles with my wife after the kids are asleep

Gym Time:
+ I alternate upper body and lower body / core, day by day
+ I mix heavy weights with cardio (as in, I'll do a set of heavy weights, then 5-10 minutes of cardio, then repeat for 1-2 hours)
+ On "heavy lift days," I always work counter muscle groups (i.e. chest and back, or shoulders/traps and lats)
---- Day 1: Chest & Back & cardio
---- Day 2: Core (situps mostly) & cardio
---- Day 3: Shoulders/Traps & Lats & cardio
---- Day 4: Legs, Squats and Calves & cardio
---- Day 5: Bicepts & Tricepts & cardio
---- Day 6: Cardio, cross-training and lots of sweating and grunting
---- Day 7: Nap

Supplements:
+ Lots of creatine monohydrate
+ NOS
+ A 'lil bit of whey protein (again, it just tastes gross)

Good luck.

Replies