How much weight can I lose by November?

Options
I wanna lose as much weight as possible before/by November. Can anyone help me with advice/tips? What kind of exercises should i do? What kind should i start out doing first? What about healthy foods? I'm an emotional eater! I also would love some support! It took a lot for me to sign up for MFP, and taking a lot more to post things asking for help. Thank you all for your kindness! Its appreciated!

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you wish to lose? For most people 1lb per week is a healthy goal.

Therefore if you start now you could lose 17 lbs by 05 November (17 weeks from today). You may also lose an additional couple of lbs of water weight in your first week or two, which is normal when first lowering calorie intake.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    What's the big hurry? It didn't come on fast, so why should it come off fast? And a lot of the time, fast isn't healthy.
  • April_Marie85
    April_Marie85 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    There's no hurry for the long term goal, but I have an important and exciting event happening the day before my 30th birthday. So I'm wanting to lose what I can by November 14th.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    While you are losing, lift weights. You will feel good.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Your starting or weight loss at a ideal time...With the warmer weather you can go outside and do cardio and drop weight. Aim for at least 5 hours a week, I started with that goal and increased each week. Averaging 2.25 lbs. lost a week..Add weights and core to workouts and don't forget to control eating. Basically, it's calories in and calories out...Good Luck!! :)
  • April_Marie85
    April_Marie85 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    bigd66218 wrote: »
    Your starting or weight loss at a ideal time...With the warmer weather you can go outside and do cardio and drop weight. Aim for at least 5 hours a week, I started with that goal and increased each week. Averaging 2.25 lbs. lost a week..Add weights and core to workouts and don't forget to control eating. Basically, it's calories in and calories out...Good Luck!! :)
    Thank you that's some good advice!

• fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    This is what I find happens on average:

Weight 230-260: 2-3lbs p/w
    200-230: 1.5-2p/w
    Below 200: 1 p/w

No science just observation and personal experience
  • SSeitz775
    SSeitz775 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Girl, I'm trying to lose weight by November as well (my short-term goal). Going on vacation and I want to look good in a bathing suit. I've been on MFP for 3 wks and I'm down 8lbs (mostly water weight) . I completely ditched soda and junk food and I log everything I eat. I eat a lot of chicken and fish. Now I've started snacking on healthier foods and fruits. I thought it would be so much harder, but it's actually not so bad. MFP community has been great. Feel free to add me. We can motivate each other.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    bigd66218 wrote: »

Ummm

OK

Number 1 and the most important thing is to eat at a calorie defecit across the week ...3500 calorie defecit (500 per day) equates to roughly a pound weight loss

Nothing will work if you don't get your food intake under control...focus on the calories, on weighing them and logging them accurately

Then move more in general, walk where you would take a car, get up from your desk and move around the building

Then purposeful exercise...nobody needs 5 hours cardio a week unless that's what you love ...benefits of cardio is good for your heart (achievable in 2x 30 minute sessions) and great calorie burn giving you more to eat

If looking great is your aim then following a progressive weighs programme (books: strong curves or new rules of lifting for women are good starting points) is highly recommended ....muscle preservation as you eat at a defecit for a tight, taut body
    Websites: bodyweight exercises http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    Weights:http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • KeliseJackson
    KeliseJackson Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    fidangul wrote: »

This is not exactly true I was 197lb and lost 7lb in two weeks before starting mfp on a low carb diet.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    fidangul wrote: »

This is not exactly true I was 197lb and lost 7lb in two weeks before starting mfp on a low carb diet.

You can't judge weight loss over 2 weeks you have to average it over 6-8 weeks

Low carb diets strip the liver of glycogen, every gram of glycogen binds to 3-4g water so in the early weeks you will quickly drop a significant amount of weight, a large proportion of which is water weight ...
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Depends on your calorie deficit, accuracy, workouts, etc. You could lose anywhere from 0 to 34 lbs in 17 weeks (average of 0 to 2 lbs loss per week).
  • MsSquatAlot
    MsSquatAlot Posts: 238 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    SSeitz775 wrote: »
    Girl, I'm trying to lose weight by November as well (my short-term goal). Going on vacation and I want to look good in a bathing suit. I've been on MFP for 3 wks and I'm down 8lbs (mostly water weight) . I completely ditched soda and junk food and I log everything I eat. I eat a lot of chicken and fish. Now I've started snacking on healthier foods and fruits. I thought it would be so much harder, but it's actually not so bad. MFP community has been great. Feel free to add me. We can motivate each other.

Great advice!