Calories in & Calories Out??

Options
I just don't get it how many calories do you need out to lose weight exactly or roughly? 500? 1000? Please help 0tgj838691uk.png

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    You need to be under by 3500 calories to shed a pound (approximately).

So, if you're aiming for 1lb per week loss, you should be under by about 500 calories per day.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Cals in should be about 500 less than cals out for 1lb per week loss or 1,000 less for 2lbs a week.

So, you would need to have eaten somewhere between 1,346 - 1,846 cals based on the figures above.
  • MelissaSchlaikier05
    MelissaSchlaikier05 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you but still confused is this photo example is there enough calories out vs the in?
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're under by 792....
  • nickstevens87
    nickstevens87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your screen is different to mine but basically it has calculated the deficit you need to hit your goal for you and told you how much more you can eat to get there. Ie. You can eat 792 more cals and still be under your target of 1839 calories ( deficit of 507 cals means you have a goal of one pound per week lost).
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    The simple maths is that 3500 calorie deficit over the week will achieve a loss of 1lb. So ideally you should be aiming for 500 deficit a day to achieve this. However if you are factoring exercise calorie burns that MFP give this may be a bit skewed as they usual over-estimate burn amounts. Most people estimate half the number given by MFP for exercise cals so factor this into your calculation.
  • msf74
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ok thank you but still confused is this photo example is there enough calories out vs the in?

It's easier to work backwards from calories out (the amount of energy your body has used during the day.)

To lose 1lb a week your calories in (the food you eat) needs to be 500 calories less per day than your calories out. So in this case 2,346 - 500 = 1,846 calories in you need to eat. To lose 2lbs your calories in need to be 1,000 calories less than your calories out so 1,346 calories. The picture shows less calories in than both these numbers.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I just don't get it how many calories do you need out to lose weight exactly or roughly?

that's a Fitbit screenshot ? It is estimating you will burn 2346 by the end of the day and you have eaten 1047.

The 792 left to eat takes you to 1839 which is a deficit of 507 - perhaps 500 is the intended deficit

HTH.
  • MelissaSchlaikier05
    Options
    :) I think I get it now thank you everyone so if you stay at 1000 cals a day you would def be 500 deficit because it would be lower then your BMR?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    :) I think I get it now thank you everyone so if you stay at 1000 cals a day you would def be 500 deficit because it would be lower then your BMR?

no, BMR is irrelevant other than being a large part of your TDEE.

If you ate 1000 you would have a deficit of over 1000 from the screenshot
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Based on the above you should be eating another 792 calories if you're aiming for 1 lb loss per week.

2346 burned - 1047 eaten = 1299 calorie deficit.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Keep in mind, the smaller you are the smaller you deficit should be and the more active you are the more calories you need. Because while a daily deficit of 500 calories will make you lose a lb, it doesnt tell you what that lb is made of (fat, muscles, water, etc....). So hopefully you eat more than 1000 calories a day.
  • msf74
    Options

Close. Your calories out are what is known as TDEE (total daily energy expenditure.)

To lose weight you need to eat less (calories in) than TDEE - 500 less than that per day for 1lb weight loss per week, 1,000 less than that for 2lbs weight loss per week.

The less weight you have to loss the better off you are going for eating 500 calories less than TDEE per day rather than 1,000 calories less.
  • MelissaSchlaikier05
    Options
    Based on the above you should be eating another 792 calories if you're aiming for 1 lb loss per week.

2346 burned - 1047 eaten = 1299 calorie deficit.

Only reply that made sense to me lol I feel blonde!
  • MelissaSchlaikier05
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Close. Your calories out are what is known as TDEE (total daily energy expenditure.)

To lose weight you need to eat less (calories in) than TDEE - 500 less than that per day for 1lb weight loss per week, 1,000 less than that for 2lbs weight loss per week.

The less weight you have to loss the better off you are going for eating 500 calories less than TDEE per day rather than 1,000 calories less.

Ah so to lose weight take 500 calories out of your TDEE?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    With only 7 pounds to lose, you should be at 250 - 500 a day deficit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    you need to be careful with a fitbit read out because it extrapolates to the end of the day based on movement already .. . so it can be out until midnight, particularly if you exercise early / are new to fitbit
  • msf74
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Ah so to lose weight take 500 calories out of your TDEE?

Yup - this creates a "calorie deficit" which causes weight loss.
  • MelissaSchlaikier05
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Please please do not eat only 1000 calories per day.
    Hey Shell, how many calories a day are you currently on?