muscle repair and new exercise

Options
Hi Everyone

about 2 weeks ago now i began doing body combat, its a complete new exercise for my boduy, im use to walking and zumba and so in result i ached sooo bad, however i kept doing it and i think i did it about four times last week and the same again this week - i hopped on the scales last week to found i gained a pound, propbably not suprising as i was still aching from all the combatting, what i wanted to know was what is the timeline for your body to get use to the exercise im doing and get rid of any unwanted water retention - today i dont feel sore really, is this me getting use to it, could i possibly see a happy number on them scales saturday morning?

Replies

• cassiz91
    cassiz91 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Feeling sore from a new workout is common and normal, with those classes, the body will reach its limit and get use to everything in due time. Remember the body fluctuates all the time. Try using a measuring tape and measure your body. Losing body weight is different from losing fat cells, so you can be the same weight but fitter and toner with less body fat. You probably gain muscle too. Don't stress it, keep working out and eat healthy, if you choose to hop on the scale do it every other week. Good luck!
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Thanks hun I really need to see a loss Saturday this will motivate me to carry on
  • cassiz91
    Options
    I tell my clients to step on the scale once a month, why? Because if they step on every week but don't notice any little significant change they get so discourage. I constantly remind them that change doesn't necessarily shows up on the scale. It will be by how you fit onto your clothes, how you improve on specific workouts. The body gains weight slowly and it will lose weight slowly but remember if you do gain weight, it's muscle, having more muscle actually increases fat loss, it actually uses the stored fat as energy to feed the muscle to grow. Keep up with your classes, keep going and don't give up, it's hard in the beginning I know but you'll be so proud that you kept going in the end!
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    I'm so adding you!! Lol
  • cassiz91
    Options
    :)
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OP your muscle are retaining water for muscle repair because it's a new exercise. It should stabilize after a week or two.
    cassiz91 wrote: »
    I tell my clients to step on the scale once a month, why? Because if they step on every week but don't notice any little significant change they get so discourage. I constantly remind them that change doesn't necessarily shows up on the scale. It will be by how you fit onto your clothes, how you improve on specific workouts. The body gains weight slowly and it will lose weight slowly but remember if you do gain weight, it's muscle, having more muscle actually increases fat loss, it actually uses the stored fat as energy to feed the muscle to grow. Keep up with your classes, keep going and don't give up, it's hard in the beginning I know but you'll be so proud that you kept going in the end!

So there's no chance of it being water weight? It's not like OP is just going to gain 1lb of muscle after 1 workout... that's ludicrous.

Having more muscle does mean you burn more calories but the amount of muscle needed to burn a significant amount of calories is pretty big.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    No I don't think I'll be gaining muscle the class is a non contact kick boxing and martial arts and boxing to music it's high impact cardio