Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    you have to want to change. you have to believe that the benefit outweighs the hassle. you have to believe you're a better parent/spouse/citizen when you're doing it. it's like recycling.

Doritos, Little Debbies, Pepsi... these kinds of things are engineered by scientists and marketers for you to LOVE them, for the packaging to appeal to you, for you to identify with the lifestyle they're connecting the products to.

Carrots from the local farmer don't necessarily have a glossy ad campaign or banner ads on the internet. Eating at a sensible caloric deficit doesn't have spokesmodels on popular magazines touting their success with it.

For me it was seeing my uncle die in his 40s that helped me (in my 20s at the time) decide that the path I was on was a painful, awkward adulthood and an early grave. Change your path, one step at a time.

so clean eating now equals saving the world, really?

what would be the difference between bagged carrots from publix and a carrots from a local farmer?

you can eat dorios, little debbies, and pepsi, hit your calorie/micro/macros targets, and still be healthy.

You're putting words in my mouth. Much like deciding to recycle, you have to decide to eat a certain way because Marketers would rather you eat their foods. I'm not advocating one way or another. The OP finds it "hard" to "eat clean" (whatever that means). I gave my perspective about why they find it "hard."

Hope you have a good day.

How can you eat "clean" if you don't even know what it means.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you have to want to change. you have to believe that the benefit outweighs the hassle. you have to believe you're a better parent/spouse/citizen when you're doing it. it's like recycling.

Doritos, Little Debbies, Pepsi... these kinds of things are engineered by scientists and marketers for you to LOVE them, for the packaging to appeal to you, for you to identify with the lifestyle they're connecting the products to.

Carrots from the local farmer don't necessarily have a glossy ad campaign or banner ads on the internet. Eating at a sensible caloric deficit doesn't have spokesmodels on popular magazines touting their success with it.

For me it was seeing my uncle die in his 40s that helped me (in my 20s at the time) decide that the path I was on was a painful, awkward adulthood and an early grave. Change your path, one step at a time.

what would be the difference between bagged carrots from publix and a carrots from a local farmer?

you can eat dorios, little debbies, and pepsi, hit your calorie/micro/macros targets, and still be healthy.

You're putting words in my mouth. Much like deciding to recycle, you have to decide to eat a certain way because Marketers would rather you eat their foods. I'm not advocating one way or another. The OP finds it "hard" to "eat clean" (whatever that means). I gave my perspective about why they find it "hard."

so organic farmers are not marketing their products either? Funny, I see signs all around where I live advertising the local farmers market...

Are you trying to say that marketing = dirty food? Or just that marketing in general is bad?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

A quick peek at my log will make it clear I eat PLENTY of processed foods. I stand by my statement that carrots don't have a good advertising campaign.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

LOL

What's funny about the part you put in bold? It seems accurate to me.
  • ndj1979
    edited July 2015
    Options

A quick peek at my log will make it clear I eat PLENTY of processed foods. I stand by my statement that carrots don't have a good advertising campaign.

so advertising campaign = unclean food? We have now crossed into the realm of ridiculousness...
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry guys. I guess I didn't have my snark meter turned on today.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    my best advice is to shop around the outside of the grocery store. but it is not necessary to eat "clean" to lose weight.
    perhaps if you give us what your clean eating goals are, we might be able to better assist you than "forget clean eating"

+1 The perimeter of my store is where all of my favorite things like doughnuts, bacon, and cheese displays are, not to mention the occasional display of Oreos. Cheese is pretty much a seasoning here in the Midwest. :-)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

A great book on the bolded is Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us.

Q. How did you land on salt, sugar, and fat as your way to write about the industry? Why these three ingredients?

A. I’d been investigating a surge in deadly outbreaks of E. coli in meat when an industry source, a microbiologist, suggested that if I wanted to see an even bigger public health hazard, I should look at what food companies were intentionally adding to their products, starting with salt. And sure enough, when I looked at this--by gaining access to high level industry officials and a trove of sensitive, internal records--a window opened on how aggressive the industry was wielding not only salt, but sugar and fat, too. These are the pillars of processed foods, the three ingredients without which there would be no processed foods. Salt, sugar and fat drive consumption by adding flavor and allure. But surprisingly, they also mask bitter flavors that develop in the manufacturing process. They enable these foods to sit in warehouses or on the grocery shelf for months. And, most critically to the industry's financial success, they are very inexpensive.

Q. So, how big is the processed food industry, exactly? What kind of scale are we talking about here?

A. Huge. Grocery sales now top $1 trillion a year in the U.S., with more than 300 manufacturers employing 1.4 million workers, or 12 percent of all American manufacturing jobs. Global sales exceed $3 trillion. But the figure I find most revealing is 60,000: That’s the number of different products found on the shelves of our largest supermarkets.

Q. How did this get so big?

A. The food processing industry is more than a century old--if you count the invention of breakfast cereals--so it’s been steady growth. But things really took off in the 1950s with the promotion of convenience foods whose design and marketing was aimed at the increasing numbers of families with both parents working outside the home. The industry's expansion, since then, has been entirely unrestrained. While food safety is heavily regulated, the government has been industry's best friend and partner in encouraging Americans to become more dependent on processed foods.

Q. What three things should a health-conscious supermarket shopper keep in mind?

A. The most alluring products--those with the highest amounts of salt, sugar and fat--are strategically placed at eye-level on the grocery shelf. You typically have to stoop down to find, say, plain oatmeal. (Healthier products are generally up high or down low.) Companies also play the better-nutrition card by plastering their packaging with terms like "all natural," "contains whole grains," “contains real fruit juice,” and "lean," which belie the true contents of the products. Reading labels is not easy. Only since the 1990s have the manufacturers even been required to reveal the true salt, sugar, fat and caloric loads of their products, which are itemized in a box called the "nutrient facts." But one game that many companies still play is to divide these numbers in half, or even thirds, by reporting this critical information per serving--which are typically tiny portions. In particular, they do this for cookies and chips, knowing that most people can't resist eating the entire three-serving bag. Check it out sometime. See how many “servings” that little bag of chips contains.
  • kshama2001
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Personally i don't like the term clean eating but i guess its useful since we all have a basic idea of what it means. The principle for me is eating mostly whole foods, rather than processed foods.

I still have no idea what exactly, or even a "good idea" of what "Clean eating" is. Most every food is processed in some way, unless you're eating raw meat from the carcass, and digging up tubers to eat with the berries/nuts you just plucked.

And what are "whole foods"? Like, eating a whole lamb? Eating a whole potato plant? PS Don't try that with Rhubarb, the leaves will kill ya.

Yes, technically when I pick a raspberry from my garden and throw it in my garden I am "processing" it but I know you realize that when people say "processed foods" they are referring to convenience foods like in my last post.

whole food
    noun
    plural noun: whole foods
    food that has been processed or refined as little as possible and is free from additives or other artificial substances.

• ndj1979
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

A great book on the bolded is Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us.

Q. How did you land on salt, sugar, and fat as your way to write about the industry? Why these three ingredients?

A. I’d been investigating a surge in deadly outbreaks of E. coli in meat when an industry source, a microbiologist, suggested that if I wanted to see an even bigger public health hazard, I should look at what food companies were intentionally adding to their products, starting with salt. And sure enough, when I looked at this--by gaining access to high level industry officials and a trove of sensitive, internal records--a window opened on how aggressive the industry was wielding not only salt, but sugar and fat, too. These are the pillars of processed foods, the three ingredients without which there would be no processed foods. Salt, sugar and fat drive consumption by adding flavor and allure. But surprisingly, they also mask bitter flavors that develop in the manufacturing process. They enable these foods to sit in warehouses or on the grocery shelf for months. And, most critically to the industry's financial success, they are very inexpensive.

Q. So, how big is the processed food industry, exactly? What kind of scale are we talking about here?

A. Huge. Grocery sales now top $1 trillion a year in the U.S., with more than 300 manufacturers employing 1.4 million workers, or 12 percent of all American manufacturing jobs. Global sales exceed $3 trillion. But the figure I find most revealing is 60,000: That’s the number of different products found on the shelves of our largest supermarkets.

Q. How did this get so big?

A. The food processing industry is more than a century old--if you count the invention of breakfast cereals--so it’s been steady growth. But things really took off in the 1950s with the promotion of convenience foods whose design and marketing was aimed at the increasing numbers of families with both parents working outside the home. The industry's expansion, since then, has been entirely unrestrained. While food safety is heavily regulated, the government has been industry's best friend and partner in encouraging Americans to become more dependent on processed foods.

Q. What three things should a health-conscious supermarket shopper keep in mind?

A. The most alluring products--those with the highest amounts of salt, sugar and fat--are strategically placed at eye-level on the grocery shelf. You typically have to stoop down to find, say, plain oatmeal. (Healthier products are generally up high or down low.) Companies also play the better-nutrition card by plastering their packaging with terms like "all natural," "contains whole grains," “contains real fruit juice,” and "lean," which belie the true contents of the products. Reading labels is not easy. Only since the 1990s have the manufacturers even been required to reveal the true salt, sugar, fat and caloric loads of their products, which are itemized in a box called the "nutrient facts." But one game that many companies still play is to divide these numbers in half, or even thirds, by reporting this critical information per serving--which are typically tiny portions. In particular, they do this for cookies and chips, knowing that most people can't resist eating the entire three-serving bag. Check it out sometime. See how many “servings” that little bag of chips contains.

ahhh yess, the food overlords have programmed us to eat how much they dicate and what they dictate..and we have no control over when they tell us what to eat, and how much to eat..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSR6GwUzOFCHXTofomf-LxA0mFzF_eiawgAxyOWBeo8fhIUROnv
  • ndj1979
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Patttience wrote: »
    Personally i don't like the term clean eating but i guess its useful since we all have a basic idea of what it means. The principle for me is eating mostly whole foods, rather than processed foods.

I still have no idea what exactly, or even a "good idea" of what "Clean eating" is. Most every food is processed in some way, unless you're eating raw meat from the carcass, and digging up tubers to eat with the berries/nuts you just plucked.

And what are "whole foods"? Like, eating a whole lamb? Eating a whole potato plant? PS Don't try that with Rhubarb, the leaves will kill ya.

Yes, technically when I pick a raspberry from my garden and throw it in my garden I am "processing" it but I know you realize that when people say "processed foods" they are referring to convenience foods like in my last post.

whole food
    noun
    plural noun: whole foods
    food that has been processed or refined as little as possible and is free from additives or other artificial substances.

nope actually they are not ...as some define it as anything that I boxed, bagged, or contains more than five ingredients.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Basically I suck at it. Tips and helpful hints?

@YellowBird0722 - if you open up your diary, I'd be happy to make suggestions on how you can modify what you're currently eating.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Basically I suck at it. Tips and helpful hints?

Clean eating is a vague label. Drop it.
    Hit your calorie goal. That is all you need to do to lose weight.
    Eat foods that will meet your nutritional needs. Eat in a way that you can sustain long term.
    Instead of getting rid of a lot of foods from your diet just start adding things to your current diet. Add more whole grains. Add more vegetables. Get enough protein, fats and fiber.
    Aim to cook more foods yourself if you like... Do some meal planning and find recipes for foods you like.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    mashiara81 wrote: »
    my best advice is to shop around the outside of the grocery store. but it is not necessary to eat "clean" to lose weight.
    perhaps if you give us what your clean eating goals are, we might be able to better assist you than "forget clean eating"

+1 The perimeter of my store is where all of my favorite things like doughnuts, bacon, and cheese displays are, not to mention the occasional display of Oreos. Cheese is pretty much a seasoning here in the Midwest. :-)

working on a block of smoked butterkase
    I usually skip the donuts unless there is cream cheese or bacon or both

holeymoleycandd_fullsize_story4.jpg?20140716121522
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I don't think that's bad advice, but I'd hate for someone to take it as gospel. I've seen too many things on this board to believe that there's no one out there who might read this advice and skip the frozen fruits and veggies in the center of my store. Or the canned tuna, canned beans, dry beans, dry rice, lentils, olive oil, etc. because they're in an aisle. There are so many people out there who seem to get tripped up by simple advice that I hate to let this one pass without a disclaimer.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I think Diane needs to add to her list of what "clean" eating is.

Here it is. These are all answers that were given off-the-cuff when asked what clean eating really is. Some of them have been formatted to better fit the style of the list, but many of them are directly copy/pasted from their original posts. They start out looking fairly similar, so make sure you get to the end of the list where things really start to diverge.

I like to note that by some of these definitions, Fritos are a clean food. By some of them, eggs, yogurt, and pistachios are not.

Nothing but minimally processed foods.
    Absolutely no processed foods.
    Shop only the outside of the grocery store.
    Nothing out of a box, jar, or can.
    Only food that's not in a box or hermetically sealed bag, or from e.g. McDonald's.
    No take-out or junk food at all.
    Nothing at all with a barcode.
    Nothing with more than 5 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 4 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 3 ingredients.
    Nothing with more than 1 ingredient.
    No added preservatives.
    No added chemicals.
    No chemicals, preservatives, etc. at all.
    No ingredients that you can't pronounce.
    No ingredients that sound like they came out of a chemistry book.
    Nothing that is processed and comes in a package or wrapper, or has any ingredient that sounds scientific.
    Don't eat products that have a TV commercial.
    Don't eat foods that have a mascot.
    If it grows or had a mother, it is ok to eat it.
    Don't eat products that have a longer shelf life than you do.
    Eat "food" and not "food-like substances."
    No added sugar.
    No added refined sugar.
    Swap white sugar for brown.
    No "white" foods.
    Nothing but lean meats, fruits, and vegetables.
    Nothing but lean meats, fruits, vegetables, and beans.
    Eat foods as close to their natural state as POSSIBLE, and little to no processed food.
    Only meat from grass-fed animals and free-range chickens.
    Only pesticide-free foods.
    Nothing that causes your body bloat or inflammation.
    No trigger foods, nothing from fast food chains, nothing in the junk food aisles, and no high gmo foods.
    No red meat, no sweets, no pasta, no alcohol, no bread, no soda, nothing but fresh fruits and vegetables, complex carbohydrates and lean proteins.
    Eat a plant based diet consisting of whole plant foods.
    No bad carbs and processed foods.
    Anything that makes a better choice.
    Not cheating on whatever diet you are on.
    Any food that doesn't make it difficult to hit your macro/micro targets.

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    2 threads on eating clean

its gonna be a fun night I guess
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Thoroughly wash your fruits and veggies.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    mashiara81 wrote: »

working on a block of smoked butterkase
    I usually skip the donuts unless there is cream cheese or bacon or both

holeymoleycandd_fullsize_story4.jpg?20140716121522

Ooh..and with chocolate icing even...now we're talkin'! ILM05_CA03017.JPG

Butterkase sounds devine. I've had this thing for blueberry stilton lately, too. It reminds me of blueberry cheesecake.