Glasses For Heavy Sweaters

Options
I need to buy new glasses.

Right now, I take my glasses off when I go to the gym or go running because they fall off my face. I sweat a lot. But now that I am in the market for new ones, I was wondering... is there a better way?

How do you handle fitness with less than perfect vision?

Replies

• accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Contacts
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Maybe have them adjusted so they sit a little tighter on your face?
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and have thought about getting a strap for them. I can make do without them though. I just like to have them when working out early in the morning because my vision is still waking up.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I used to use contacts but hate them with a passion-so I mostly just deal with it. Getting them tightened does help (I have plastic and they tighten the stems). If I was still doing lots of running/boot camps I would suck it up and get contacts.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    How do you handle fitness with less than perfect vision?

I wear a visor like this to keep the sweat off my face (because I sweat like a wildebeest when I exercise) or a headband:

sweaty face be gone
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I wear an older pair that have the temple tips bent so that they are pretty close to 90 degrees rather than being more like 45 degrees, which is how my regular glasses are adjusted. Kind of like the left one on this image.

spectacles-glasses-bits.bmp
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I wear contacts; saving up for LASIK. That said, a couple of options:

1. Prescription sports-style sunglasses. (I have $15 sunglasses from CVS that do.not.move. and don't get clouded with sweat, so I'm assuming this is possible.)

3. Tighten a Croakie (the strap you put on sunglasses so they fall down around your neck instead of off the kayak) around the back of your head so the glasses stay in place.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Rec specs is what I'm getting recommended but I may just figure out contacts since I kinda wanna wear then for my brother's wedding and it would make grappling days easier.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Maybe get one of those bands that goes around your head to keep your glasses on if you need them while you work out?
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    My vision is good enough not to wear them indoors (but I can't see across the room well, just enough). For outdoor workouts, I wear presciption Oakleys. Love them!
  • Nuke807
    Nuke807 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
  • twofastdogs
    twofastdogs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. I wear glasses to work, but I wear contacts to the gym. Wearing glasses when I'm that sweaty drives me nuts. I still need reading glasses with my contacts (ugh) so I bought bifocal cycling glasses that I wear if I'm exercising outside.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Contacts all the way
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Contacts

Yep

• punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I looked into contacts and unfortunately, it's not an option for me right now. But all of these are really good ideas. Thanks!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Contacts

+1000

Contacts. I don't know about your opticians, but I get a monthly set of contacts for £13 with free solution and cases etc.

• ActiveApril
    ActiveApril Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I hate when my glasses are sliding off of my face because of sweat too! When I'm working out I usually use contacts unless I'm on a gym treadmill - then I just wear nothing. I've found that wearing a headband or visor to keep my head sweat off my face helps a lot when I'm just out walking my dogs and I don't feel like messing with contacts. A pair of prescription sunglasses like my Ironman sunglasses that have this thin rubbery thing on the nose would be awesome, but I haven't shopped around to see if anything like that exists.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I wear an older pair that have the temple tips bent so that they are pretty close to 90 degrees rather than being more like 45 degrees, which is how my regular glasses are adjusted. Kind of like the left one on this image.

spectacles-glasses-bits.bmp

I have a large head and like above I get the longest temple pieces I can find and get them bent to almost 90 Deg. Halo also make a hat with a rubber strip across the forehead to redirect sweat away from eyes. I have never had contact except for the hard lenses that were just not possible for me to wear. Now that I need bifocals contacts wont do much good if I need to carry another set just to read.
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of cheapo perscription sunglasses for running. They are not pretty but atleast I can see more than colorful blobs. I found them at Zenni optical.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Contacts
    ^^Agree that's what I used to do before getting lazer op done.