Strength

Bansh3e
Bansh3e Posts: 71 Member
Hy guys,
Is here someone who can help me with strength based program?

Replies

• secretsydney
    secretsydney Posts: 14 Member
    www.stronglifts.com/5x5

Use that mate, free website with a free android/apple app to track your progression.

Its so easy to follow and its FREE!!!

I am currently on week 7 and getting amazing results strength wise and physique wise
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    www.stronglifts.com/5x5

Use that mate, free website with a free android/apple app to track your progression.

I am currently on week 7 and getting amazing results strength wise and physique wise

^ This, but there are also other good options. starting strength, new rules of lifting are just two more.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Not really free if you have to buy the equipment or join a gym! ;) Does anyone have a really, REALLY basic entry strength program for people who've never lifted more than, you know, a pint of beer?!!! Because I'm working from a genuine point zero with my fitness, I felt it important to a) improve my core stability with something like pilates and b) do cardio to improve my stamina, get my heart rate elevated for a time, and improve my overall fitness.

At what point should I be considering adding strength training to this, and what should I be doing? I've read all the advice that people say strength training is key to achieving your long term weight loss goals, without sacrificing muscle mass, but is there a period where cardio should take precedence, because of overall poor fitness levels?
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    www.stronglifts.com/5x5

^ Great starting point, if you have no idea, or just a general goal to start getting fit. ^

Starting Strength is another one that is popular ( check here : http://startingstrength.com/ ), but its not free.

A quick google search for full body beginner routines will pull up dozens of potential plans for you to follow.

3 pieces of advice I'd give:

1) free weight > machine routines
    2) full body for general strength and conditioning 1st, worry about targeted later, after you've built a base/foundation.
    3) Include cardio in your weekly routine. If you do both on the same day, try to lift before cardio, or with at least 1 hr break in between.

• Bansh3e
    I need to say that i also have 1 year of calisthenics/bodyweight training.How should i do strenght training with weight?3X5 or 5x5?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Bansh3e wrote: »
    I need to say that i also have 1 year of calisthenics/bodyweight training.How should i do strenght training with weight?3X5 or 5x5?

Start with a beginner program (if you are going with stronglifts, then go with their beginner 5x5 program).
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member

Does not matter too much, but I tend to like the beginning volume in the StrongLift's 5x5 as you use that time under the bar for practice. The program dials the volume back once failures and de-loads occur enough to where the reduced volume of 3x5 will come into play for recovery's sake. Then again at 1x5. Read the program and follow as detailed. All of this info is in there and it is popular because it works.
  • Bansh3e
    Is it a problem if i do 3x5 squats 3x5 deadlift 3x5 bench 3x5 chins 3x5overhead press all in one workout?.This exact exercises for every day i WORKOUT?(monday/wednesday/friday)
  • corriebenedict
    corriebenedict Posts: 25 Member
    Pinterest is full of a lot of great HIIT programs that include cardio and body weight only exercises that you can do on your own in your own home with no weights to get you started! Good luck on your journey!
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited July 2015
    Is it a problem if i do 3x5 squats 3x5 deadlift 3x5 bench 3x5 chins 3x5overhead press all in one workout?.This exact exercises for every day i WORKOUT?(monday/wednesday/friday)

Yes, its a problem. Read the program, it will answer these questions.
  • the_big_johnson
    the_big_johnson Posts: 19 Member

It's only a problem that you are trying to gain strength and you are only hitting 1 chest, 1 back, 1 .5 shouder, 1.5 leg, and 2 back workouts. I would try having a chest day and mix in about 12-16 sets for more reps. Ditto back, arms, legs, shoulders. But that's just my .02

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

It's only a problem that you are trying to gain strength and you are only hitting 1 chest, 1 back, 1 .5 shouder, 1.5 leg, and 2 back workouts. I would try having a chest day and mix in about 12-16 sets for more reps. Ditto back, arms, legs, shoulders. But that's just my .02

12 to 16 sets of each? what??
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Not really free if you have to buy the equipment or join a gym! ;) Does anyone have a really, REALLY basic entry strength program for people who've never lifted more than, you know, a pint of beer?!!! Because I'm working from a genuine point zero with my fitness, I felt it important to a) improve my core stability with something like pilates and b) do cardio to improve my stamina, get my heart rate elevated for a time, and improve my overall fitness.

At what point should I be considering adding strength training to this, and what should I be doing? I've read all the advice that people say strength training is key to achieving your long term weight loss goals, without sacrificing muscle mass, but is there a period where cardio should take precedence, because of overall poor fitness levels?

This is really where you should start. You're starting with an empty bar and working your way up from there.

My opinion is that cardio should take precedence if it's what fits your goals. Otherwise, both can be incorporated in your exercise program equally for benefit.
  • the_big_johnson
    the_big_johnson Posts: 19 Member
    PikaKnight wrote: »

12 to 16 sets of each? what??

Each body part. Ex. You want to do chest? Incline Barbell x 4. Incline Dumbell x 4. Cable Cross x 4. Incline Fly x 4. Pec Deck x 4.