Girl Only Question

Options
ashleydanib
ashleydanib Posts: 24 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I was wondering what are some good exercises to do when you are on your period. I am currently on mine and want to exercise but I know I can't do the usual cardio exercises I usually do.

I should also say I have endometriosis so I have very painful and heavy periods. So I'm very limited in what I can do workout wise when I'm on my period.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can do the same exercises during your period that you do the rest of the month. Some women find that they have a dip in strength at the beginning of their periods, or just beforehand, but that doesn't mean you can't exercise.
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I usually take it easy on my abs and lower back - so low-impact, no inversions in yoga, no tough jogs. (Usually yoga, biking, walking.) Otherwise - go for it, girl!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how you feel honestly. Most months I do what I always do. Some months are particularly bad, and I either take a break entirely or just yoga.
  • Ilovebaking13
    Ilovebaking13 Posts: 10 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Currently on mine right now too. I feel I can usually do the same workouts just on a lighter scale. So instead of running 6 miles I'll walk at a very brisk pace for just as long or run at a lighter pace for a shorter amount of time. For strength training I do something similar like less weight or reps or even just a fewer exercises if I'm very crampy or tired.
    And stretching or yoga is always nice!
    But I will say definitely try to workout on your period, it always helps me with cramps and falling asleep when I'm uncomfortable at night.
  • jendiaz9732
    jendiaz9732 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts as normal, it tends to ease my cramping pains :)
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Anything is fine but no yoga inversions as pp said. I don't stay away from high impact: running, HIIT, etc...
  • ashleydanib
    ashleydanib Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I guess I should also say that I have endometriosis and have very painful and heavy periods, so I'm very limited in what I can do workout wise when I'm on my period.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I raced a half marathon while on my period last month!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I do exactly the same workouts on my period as I do off my period. Women have been getting their periods for a very, very long time. At this point we should just be able to go about our lives as normal during that week. This, of course, doesn't apply to people that have medical problems that make their periods really awful.

Edit: Aaaaaand I just saw that you have endometriosis. That would've been helpful information from the beginning. In that case, how about a nice long walk? Or even a short walk. Or yoga. Do whatever you can. If that's nothing, so be it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I guess I should also say that I have endometriosis and have very painful and heavy periods, so I'm very limited in what I can do workout wise when I'm on my period.

Well then you would know better than strangers would what you can/can't do. Your initial question is phrased in a way that implies that exercise must be limited/changed for women in general during menstruation.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

Well in that case, what does your doctor recommend?
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was wondering what are some good exercises to do when you are on your period. I am currently on mine and want to exercise but I know I can't do the usual cardio exercises I usually do.

I should also say I have endometriosis so I have very painful and heavy periods. So I'm very limited in what I can do workout wise when I'm on my period.

I do exactly the same exercises as I would normally do. From what I've read, there really isn't too much to support the idea that you shouldn't do yoga inversions during one's period.
  • emzywemzy86
    emzywemzy86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have painful periods, I usually just do what I can manage tbh, even if I have a week break, sometimes I find the break has done me good and keeps me motivated
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Even if you have painful periods, surely exercising would help with the pain? Only you really know what you're capable of at that time of the month though.
  • sarahhlostt
    sarahhlostt Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I haven't read the previous responses but I also have endometriosis. Luckily, it means I skip most periods but when they do come it's a whole lot of pain and not a lot of energy. I try to drink extra water and foods that will help with energy. I also don't go extreme on my cardio and try more weights for that week. I'm training for a race so instead of running 3 miles I may do a speed workout at the track for as long as I can handle it, or a walk/ run. No lie, that first or second day I sometimes don't have the strength or energy to workout so I use them as rest days and like I said, increase my water intake. I also ignore the scale those days. Haha. Good luck!!
  • sarahhlostt
    sarahhlostt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    PS, some people do not understand the pain that comes with endemetrosis. It's nauseating for me and I'm usually getting sick with it. Those are the days that I just focus on staying hydrating and catching up on my workouts after. Good luck again!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I skip on the first, maybe also the second day, just because I prefer to sulk. And then I resume normally after that. Just nothing that involves inverting (like some yoga poses) as that has been linked to cervical cancer.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Also, the only reason I clicked when I saw "Girl's only" was to see if OP was getting bashed for sexism, lol. Touche op ;)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i just try to do what I normally do. sometimes it's fine and other times, I have to scale back.
    you might try a heat patch on your front side to ease the cramping and pain a bit. I've had to use it in the past
    linky

I totally invert in my yoga during my period. from what I understand, there was concern about blood going back in and that being unclean and bad. it's fine and nothing to worry about imho.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I am able to continue with my normal routine, but I don't have endometriosis. I remember an old roommate had it, and she was in devastating pain, so I can only imagine how tough it is for you. I hope you are working on getting relief. I would say do what feels ok and listen to your body.