Recomp: How to avoid or fix "Skinny Fat"

jim180155
jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
edited July 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
This is the best (or at least the most welcome) advice I've heard in a long time:

https://legionathletics.com/skinny-fat/

I've lost 42 pounds over the last year or two, hit the healthy BMI range about 22 pounds ago, and am currently about 14% body fat. I was trying to get down to 12% or 10% before changing directions and starting a bulk, but have been having trouble making progress from this point. And to make matters worse, I gained about one percent body fat over the last month, gaining fat and losing lean mass. And worse yet, I seem to have lost some strength over the last couple weeks.

The photo below looks about like I do, except younger:

skinny-fat-stomach.jpg

Here's the part of the article that really caught my attention:

Now that you know the shortcut to skinny fat–large calorie deficit, way too much cardio, and way too little resistance training–let’s talk about how to prevent and, if necessary, undo the damage.

“Should I try to lose fat or build muscle?”

There’s the million-dollar question that plagues skinny fat people everywhere. They know the type of physique they want but how do they actually get there?

Guys tend to think they should just focus on building muscle and girls are inclined to want to lose more fat. And they’re both going to get nowhere…because they need to do both.

That is, they want to set up their diet and training so they can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

This is commonly referred to as “body recomposition” and it’s the only way out of the skinny fat predicament. Too much fat and too little muscle is what got you into this mess and you have to flip that around to escape it.

Now, you’ve probably heard that it’s impossible to gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously. That’s untrue.

If you’re new to weightlifting (and heavy weightlifting in particular), and you probably are if you’re skinny fat, you absolutely can build muscle and lose fat at the same time.

More specifically, if you don’t have at least 1+ years of proper weightlifting under your belt and haven’t already gained your first 15 to 20 pounds of muscle (men, about half that for women), then you can effectively “recomp” and should make it your first priority.

You just have to know what you’re doing. And this article breaks it all down.

It convinced me. I'm switching to maintenance/recomp mode, although I'll ease into it over the next three weeks with a 300, 200, then 100 calorie deficit and then settle on my TDEE with possible further adjustments if I'm gaining or losing weight after that.

I'm happy. I think.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    I think your link to the article may be incorrect.
  • jim180155
    edited July 2015
    Oops. Let me try again:

Fixed it in the above post too.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    jim180155 wrote: »
    Oops. Let me try again:

Very interesting, what i've read so far.
    Will read the rest later when i have time......I want to look like her! Lol >>>>
    0coc2jbjf6dr.jpg
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Oops. Let me try again:

Will read the rest later when i have time......I want to look like her! Lol >>>>
    0coc2jbjf6dr.jpg

I want you to look like her too. I want all girls to look like her. :smile:

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Cool; many thanks for the link. I just started recomp (I am "skinny fat") and so I'm trying to workout maint cals and the macros that work for me. I was already doing lifting (although not heavy [but I am now]) and only doing 15 - 20 min of moderate cardio (chgd that to HIIT). I'm 55+ so I'll let you know how it is working in follow-up posts. P.S.; I want to look like her too! >:)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,139 Member
    edited July 2015
    Can a picture hijack a thread? I think everyone wants everyone to look like her... except, possibly, her :smiley:
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    edited July 2015
    What is "cardio"? Is it brisk walking 3-4 times per week or is it long-distance running 5-6 days per week with interval training? I've been doing a lot of high-intensity cardio that's much more like the latter. I don't think I'm risking "skinny fat" at this point because prior to a year ago I lifted heavy for about 10 years (I've quit recently after a series of upper-body musculoskeletal problems that have soured me on weights) and have a lot of base muscle to work with. Also my legs are like tree trunks. On the other hand, I haven't lifted for over a year now.

I just have a lot of trouble believing that high-intensity exercise (even if it's "just" cardio) combined with calorie control would result in persistently high body fat percentage for anyone.

Also, mainly, I just am skittish about hitting the weights again.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    I am on the lose fat add muscle program as well.

I agree to exercise the calorie deficit in. Adding 1/4 lb of muscle a week and lose 1-1 1/2 lbs of fat. Been doing it for a solid year.

Just my opinion but deadlifts are the key exercise to be doing. It is a good compound exercise that works most of the body and your core. It does stimulate growth.

This next 3 months should get me right on target. 15 less pounds of fat and 2 pounds of muscle added.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    If they are blaming "skinny-fat" on too much cardio, I would say that the article is questionable. The symptoms of being "skinny-fat" are some of the things that cardio has been show to help with. Weight lifting has its own benefits and it is true that the bulk created by weight lifting will give you a lower body fat percentage for the same BMI, but cardio addresses the symptoms more directly.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Its a good article OP and I defer to it often; I have several of Mike's kindles - good reads.
  • corriebenedict
    corriebenedict Posts: 25 Member
    Oops. Let me try again:

0coc2jbjf6dr.jpg

ME FREAKING TOO...and I get what I want.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    If you're interested in doing a recomp, I'd recommend you start with this thread.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • schandler1011
    schandler1011 Posts: 83 Member
    Maybe your body needs more protein?
  • jim180155
    Its a good article OP and I defer to it often; I have several of Mike's kindles - good reads.

Same here. I got started with his Bigger Leaner Stronger book on Audible. While I had a couple of very minor nits with it (like wondering why he didn't recommend MFP, which he now does in his 2nd edition), I thought it was the best all around program I've seen to date. So I bought a few more of his books and started taking advantage of the free articles on his webpage. Now a new favorite of mine is his podcasts where he addresses reader questions and features guests every few weeks.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    If they are blaming "skinny-fat" on too much cardio, I would say that the article is questionable. The symptoms of being "skinny-fat" are some of the things that cardio has been show to help with. Weight lifting has its own benefits and it is true that the bulk created by weight lifting will give you a lower body fat percentage for the same BMI, but cardio addresses the symptoms more directly.

Thanks. I would tend to (like to) think "skinny-fat" sounds like just a person who is generally not active enough.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    DrEnalg wrote: »

Thanks. I would tend to (like to) think "skinny-fat" sounds like just a person who is generally not active enough.

Nope - many cardio-only weight loss folks are skinny-fat - watch their arms as they jog, or what is pushed above their shorts jiggling around.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    heybales wrote: »
    DrEnalg wrote: »

Nope - many cardio-only weight loss folks are skinny-fat - watch their arms as they jog, or what is pushed above their shorts jiggling around.

Happens also to people who do only bodyweight or light resistance without planned & systematic progression (hi hi I've done that)
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    I started a recomp a few weeks ago after being in a slight deficit for a long time. I'm loving having the extra calories for my workout and I feel like I am finally getting stronger. I am under muscled/skinny fat even though I have been heavy lifting on and off for over a year. I was in a deficit the whole time and wasn't doing a program with progressive overload. I started a structured program 3 months ago (AllPros) and more recently upped my calories to maintenance and I am already amazed with the changes. I dropped a jeans size in the last few weeks (without being in a deficit or losing lbs) after literally years of trying to get back to this size. I can't wait to see what changes I can make in the next few years! No more losing those last few lbs, I just need to gain more muscle.
  • jim180155
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    No more losing those last few lbs, I just need to gain more muscle.

Exactly. Much more fun that way.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    I started a recomp a few weeks ago after being in a slight deficit for a long time. I'm loving having the extra calories for my workout and I feel like I am finally getting stronger. I am under muscled/skinny fat even though I have been heavy lifting on and off for over a year. I was in a deficit the whole time and wasn't doing a program with progressive overload. I started a structured program 3 months ago (AllPros) and more recently upped my calories to maintenance and I am already amazed with the changes. I dropped a jeans size in the last few weeks (without being in a deficit or losing lbs) after literally years of trying to get back to this size. I can't wait to see what changes I can make in the next few years! No more losing those last few lbs, I just need to gain more muscle.

I have been doing this sort of thing as well. Just slowly adding lean muscle, not getting fat back on!

It is a nice change up from fat loss emphasis!