My scale keeps saying different things based on where it is.

Options
2»

Replies

• mxmakm
    mxmakm Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Always on a flat floor-in the same spot.
    Calibrate it if you can-at least check it with a weight to make sure it's accurate. I have had some shotty scales that would give me a different readout every time i stepped on. It was worth the $30 to get one that is accurate.

Mine does this. =( It's a weight watchers scale too so I thought it would be accurate, but I spend about 10 minutes each morning trying to get an average out of all the weights. It's usually a 2 pound different from the highest and lowest weights, all which happened seconds/minutes apart. I need a new one.

Anyway, congrats OP on the new low weight!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have my scale in the laundry room. It is a hard surface and I don't ever have to move it to get it out of the way. I found that moving it gives me a weigh or two that are off.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Not just a hard surface--a hard, level surface. Natural tiles like slate that have an uneven surface can also cause inaccuracy.

And you should probably use a mechanical beam scale (the kind at a doctor's office) as a benchmark weight (since they are generally more accurate), but a home scale is fine for measuring losses/gains.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I get a more accurate weigh in if I first get on the scale with something heavy (at least 2lbs) in my hands. Then get back on and weigh. There is something about the scale that doesn't pick up a smaller amount of weight loss. I will just remember the number from the last time I weighed.
  • pumpkinpocalypse
    pumpkinpocalypse Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem, my scale doesn't read the same thing dependig on where we place it. We have a ceramic tiles floor in the bathroom, and even just changing the direction in which the scale is facing changes the reading! (faing the door vs facing the bath etc)
    I assume it's also a matter of gravity, elevation etc, if your house's floor isn't strictly flat and straight. I know ours isn't.
    Since i don't like stepping up on the scale twice and getting two different results, which is obviously super confusing, i just move all the way to the kitchen (wooden floor). it seems to be working better there.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem, my scale doesn't read the same thing dependig on where we place it. We have a ceramic tiles floor in the bathroom, and even just changing the direction in which the scale is facing changes the reading! (faing the door vs facing the bath etc)
    I assume it's also a matter of gravity, elevation etc, if your house's floor isn't strictly flat and straight. I know ours isn't.
    Since i don't like stepping up on the scale twice and getting two different results, which is obviously super confusing, i just move all the way to the kitchen (wooden floor). it seems to be working better there.

I had this problem, then I got this scale and it's the most consistent scale I've used. Also it comes with a cool retracting looper tape measure for taking body measurements.

Purchased a Withings WiFi scale which is on the way, I am hoping it can be as accurate.
  • Danixkm
    Danixkm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    As everybody has said use a hard floor. Carpets are evil for scales. My whole house is carpeted so I have to put it in the bath as it's the only flat surface. My kitchen floor seems somehow uneven and affects the readings depending on where in the kitchen it is placed.

As an idea you could weigh in a pharmacists to get a good representation of your weight and then move the scales around to find where it shows your true weight at home.
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. I have my weighing scale in my bedroom but I brought it downstairs because my mother wanted to weigh. I apparently weigh nearly a stone less downstairs than upstairs :|:|:| I have carpet in my bedroom and wooden floor downstairs, would that make a difference? Which reading should I actually believe?

Oh yes scales do not work on soft surfaces. They should always be placed on a solid surface for accuracy.