what should I log this as?

tenkides
tenkides Posts: 151 Member
What should I log this as? Today i went to see my horse. I have been trying for a while to build his butt muscles up. I decided to run him up the 500 yard uphill drive way. For me this put me at a full speed sprint. I did this 20 times. I would jog back down the hill. All this took 25 min. I am not sure what to log this as. Please and thank you for posting.

Replies

• EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    I doubt there's an accurate way for you to calculate something like that. Unless you're maintaining, or trying to gain weight, I would just not log it and let the mystery calories do their thing.
  • SarahCate_2pt0
    SarahCate_2pt0 Posts: 9 Member
    I would look at what MFP has for options running/jogging and log 25 minutes of whichever option is pretty close. Just be conservative. The MFP exercise database tends to really overestimate calorie burns.
  • AprilFire04
    AprilFire04 Posts: 18 Member
    Do you have a step counter or other activity monitor? Maybe just log it as 25 minutes jogging, as you were doing that.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    When I'm not sure of something, I just log it conservatively and know that I probably burned more that what I recorded. You could just do 20 minutes of jogging in place, for example. I swim a lot and can't monitor that, so I usually log "leisurely swimming" when I'm really doing laps with quite a bit of effort.
  • tenkides
    No I'm trying to find a ok one or one that is cheaper or used. I haven't found one yet though. I think that would help a lot too, because I do a lot of work with my horse.
  • tenkides
    Ok thank you. Does anyone have any idea for where to find a cheaper or used stepper- activity tracker?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Were you riding him- or were you running him?

or were you tailing him?

• tenkides
    Running him. We were both running uphill.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    then just log it as sprints- or up hill sprints.

Your horse isn't doing any work for you- why would you log it differently?
  • tenkides
    Ok thanks
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/calorie_calculator.htm

Use it to calculate an estimate for the sprinting portion, and record as running.

Ignore the jog back portion ( assume it is error correction )