Blue Apron? or similar food delivery programs. What do you think?

Options
Has anyone tried Blue apron or a similar food delivery program? I just got a free week from a friend and am going to check it out. It seems pretty pricey, you get groceries for 3 dinners for $60. But the calorie range is normally 600-700 and it might get me out of my boring recipe rut?

Just curious if anyone has used it and what they thought.

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Are you too busy to get to the grocery store?

That'd be the only reason I'd even remotely consider it. I like volume, different varieties and not spending an arm and leg for something I can go get and make myself.
  • dah86
    dah86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I can't really speak to the healthiness of them (even though they seem very health conscious), Blue Apron is really fun and has some super delicious, easy to make dishes. Definitely try it out if you like to cook and try new things.
  • dah86
    dah86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Are you too busy to get to the grocery store?

That'd be the only reason I'd even remotely consider it. I like volume, different varieties and not spending an arm and leg for something I can go get and make myself.

Yeah but with Blue Apron, you often get ingredients you just can't find at the local grocery store.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I used it for a month.

Things felt a bit repetitive to me, which was a bit annoying. I didn't feel satiated after the meals, despite the calories. I know, because I've lost 50lbs, that you don't need to be "full", but for 500-700 calories, it felt a bit lackluster. Because the ingredients were "in season", it was really repetitive. I got Dijon mustard 6 times, salmon twice, and I made meals with radishes 4 times. Don't get me wrong, I like those ingredients, but it was frustrating. I also noticed that the choices were limited, there were only a few combinations for the box. For example, if I tried to change one of the meals, unless I changed all of them, I only had one option.

The pluses were that it helped me get out of a rut, the ingredients were really top notch, and the recipes were fairly good.

Overall, I think it's a bit gimmicky, and not worth the money. I wouldn't do it again.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I steer clear of all these YouTube peddled companies. This, shakeology, honest diapers, and that granola company....can't remember the name. Anyways when you do a real reviews search (not the reviews that are paid for by vloggers and bloggers) you'll see that most if these companies are either shady, out to rip you off or both. If I'm going to pay that much for food someone else had better cook it for me.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to pay that much for food someone else had better cook it for me.

Quoted for truth.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    $60 for 3 dinners? W

I'd just go out to eat. Or buy a weeks worth of groceries.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I tried BlueApron and have been using HelloFresh for a few months. I liked both but prefer HelloFresh because they offer more nutrition information for their meals and they seem to have more choices. I hate meal planning and grocery shopping so it has been very useful to me and I've really like the meals. I just cook for myself so I always have a meal left over for lunch or dinner the next day. Most meals are in the 500-800 calorie range and sometimes I modify the amounts a bit to cut that down if needed. I've tried a lot of new things using this service and I love it.

So yes, you can eat much more cheaply but for 1 person it's convenient and I don't waste a lot of ingredients because they send just the right amount. I don't do it every week, it's nice you can pause and restart whenever you want. It's also increased my cooking skills and variety as a bonus.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Aw, screw it. If it looks interesting, try it.
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It targets people making lots of disposable income that are lazy. If you're on a diet you need to burn calories every chance you get. You burn calories chopping prepping and cooking food. Plus I burn 400 calories grocery shopping. Its not really affordable if you have a large family either. Just my thoughts ha
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    It targets people making lots of disposable income that are lazy. If you're on a diet you need to burn calories every chance you get. You burn calories chopping prepping and cooking food. Plus I burn 400 calories grocery shopping. Its not really affordable if you have a large family either. Just my thoughts ha

And how do you do that?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Are you rollerblading during it? For an hour?
  • br3adman
    Options

And how do you do that?

And how do you do that? takes me 6000-7000 steps. I park at the last spot in the parking lot. I shop by a list so I mix up stuff. May grab apples oranges then go all the way to the back to get sardines then back to grab plums,bananas. I keep walking back and forth instead of getting everything in one section at once. I'm also quite big so its helpful for me personally.
  • br3adman
    Options

And how do you do that?
    takes me 6000-7000 steps. I park at the last spot in the parking lot. I shop by a list so I mix up stuff. May grab apples oranges then go all the way to the back to get sardines then back to grab plums,bananas. I keep walking back and forth instead of getting everything in one section at once. I'm also quite big so its helpful for me personally
  • scalebeater
    scalebeater Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I tried Blue Apron, I wasn't impressed. I found the recipes a little fussy even with all the ingredients laid out. For the money and calories, I'd rather eat out and not have to clean my kitchen. I'm more of a one pot/300 calorie dinner person when I cook at home. I also missed the Fitbit steps from roaming the grocery store.
  • wrrly
    wrrly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are hardly lazy. We both work full time and, in the past, would rely on takeout or those quick dinners from the grocery store.

We started using Hello Fresh about a month ago and really like it. Meals take about 30 to 45 minutes to prepare. We're eating more veggies than before and learning about different food preparation techniques. For us the portion size is perfect. And though we're paying for this service, we're spending much less money at the grocery store each week.

So for those people on the go, it works.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I get flyers for those things all the time. I looked on the site and it's a little confusing, trying to figure out how to get something you know you'd like or at least would like to try.

It's kind of expensive, too. It's one of those deals where they take and re-charge your card. You can't just buy a single one, but must do that whole canceling thing. Companies seem to be much better about charging than canceling, so I steer clear of things that aren't a one-shot deal.

But if you have the money and interest, you should try it. Let us know how you liked it! :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The best part about it is that, because it is free, you can try something that you might not otherwise do. Have fun.
  • TheLittleGingerDoesWeightLoss
    Options
    If you got a week for free then it can't hurt to try it. But the prices are crazy! Personally, I truly enjoy the experience of picking my own food in the produce section. It's a fun tactile experience, plus I might pick up things I wouldn't have thought of. It might be weird, but I want that relationship with my food like that at store or a farm. I can't do that with things behind a screen or in a box.