Healthy high-calorie food with low carbs and fat?

Options
robinp00
robinp00 Posts: 36 Member
I'm looking for something for dinner tonight, but I have gone over my carb goal due to the fruits that I have eaten througout the day so far. Does anyone have any recommendations on a food with a fair amount of calories but with low carbs and fats? I would prefer something with high proteins as P90x is demanding a high protein intake.

I have considered the following so far:

Baked salmon - maybe too much fat though?
Baked chicken breast - any disadvantages?

Does anyone have any other recommendations? I don't have either of the above in my fridge right now and will probably head to the grocery store on the way home tonight.

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,741 Member
    Options
    Scrambled egg whites with reduced fat cheese
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for something for dinner tonight, but I have gone over my carb goal due to the fruits that I have eaten througout the day so far. Does anyone have any recommendations on a food with a fair amount of calories but with low carbs and fats? I would prefer something with high proteins as P90x is demanding a high protein intake.

I have considered the following so far:

Baked salmon - maybe too much fat though?
    Baked chicken breast - any disadvantages?

Does anyone have any other recommendations? I don't have either of the above in my fridge right now and will probably head to the grocery store on the way home tonight.

The fat in the salmon is mostly healthy fats, Omega 3's and all. I would go with that.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of carbs - so unless there's a reason NOT to eat them (outside of the number assigned by MFP), I say eat a healthy meal! If you're getting carbs from fruits and other healthy options, they're just like sugars, it's okay. And your body needs carbs to fuel itself.

Others may feel differently - I just love my carbs! :smile:
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    if you eat a lot of produce, then don't worry about carbs. Baked salmon is one of my favorites especially with steamed asparagus. Its very healthy and delicious.

Salmon really isn't high in fat. It depends on how much salmon you eat. I limit myself to 7oz at most.
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options
    I agree with Kristinlough--if you're just basing it on the MFP number and most of your carbs are from fruits and veg (real ones, not fruit drinks or things like that), I'd wouldn't worry about having some carbs with dinner.

However, if you're determined to have something with lots of protein and little fat or carbs, then you can't really go wrong with chicken breast, fish, or egg whites. Try dipping the chicken breast in milk and then a little bit of seasoned breadcrumbs (if you only use a little bit, it's not a lot of carbs) and baking. Or, make an herb crust or rub. Chop up fresh herbs (sage, parsley, and rosemary is a good combination for chicken) and garlic and smear it all over the chicken breast (use a little dijon mustard to make it stick) and then bake. Dill and parsley is good on mild white fish, such as whiting or haddock. Or, if you're feeling really adventurous, slice the chicken breast thinly, put the herbs/garlic inside, and roll it up and then bake it. You can also put fish or thinly sliced chicken inside an aluminum foil packet with some lemon juice, herbs, and garlic and bake it--that keeps it a bit moister as long as you don't overcook it. BBQ rub is also good--I'm sure there are a lot of recipes for those online (I don't use rubs very often myself, so I don't know any off the top of my head).

Scrambled egg whites with herbs is good, too.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Either meal is fine....I have learned that going over on Carbs (if its healthy carbs) is like fruits etc, its not a bad thing, the body understands how to break it down......

Even though Salmon is fatty....its healthy fat, and not a bad thing to eat
  • VJ150
    VJ150 Posts: 453
    Options
    baked salmon sounds great. Or you can try baked pork chops
  • robinp00
    robinp00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I am not following the carbs dictated by MFP, but rather the phase 1 P90x nutrition guidelines. I will most likely grab some chicken tonight and steal one of those delicious sounding ideas from Maddox22.