Anyone else end up choosing foods to eat just because they are easy to log?

Options
Or denying yourself dinner at a local restaurant that's surely not in the database, or picking packaged food you don't really want to eat over a delicious meal someone else cooked that you couldn't meticulously measure every piece of?

I'm not at this point but sometimes I worry that I'll get there, especially as I near the last 10 lb until my goal, where everyone says "more accurate more accurate you gotta be more accurate it's harder now at the end!"

Replies

• rubyandmani
    rubyandmani Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    yes. i do. i m very near to my goal and already inmy bmi range but want to be on lower side.i try to eat veg and spspecially fruits as i cant be wronh with them
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    No. I estimated meals out based on supermarket ready meals and then add 20%.
    The way I see it is estimating is better than nothing and its only every now and again.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I am one of the laziest loggers I know. ;) I eat the same thing five days a week just so I can prelog in about five minutes and I don't have to math and stuff.
  • lhigdon2325
    lhigdon2325 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Everything can't be in the database. You have to make decisions based on "like/similar" foods. After doing this for a few months, based on what is actually in the database, you should be able to fairly accurately pick something.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    No, at least not all the time. You have to still live and enjoy life. With that said, you do need to be more careful the closer to your goal. So, just try to balance it. For example, I know I'm going out to a dinner that will be hard to track on Sunday, so I'm going to be more strict until then. Also, I won't let myself just eat whatever all day on Sunday, since I'll have a hard time tracking dinner. I'll try to eat minimal calories the rest of the day to make up for it (I've found that a packet of tuna and a pile of lettuce works wonders for filling you up for only about 100 calories!).
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    tibby531 wrote: »
    I am one of the laziest loggers I know. ;) I eat the same thing five days a week just so I can prelog in about five minutes and I don't have to math and stuff.

I do the same thing. :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Or denying yourself dinner at a local restaurant that's surely not in the database, or picking packaged food you don't really want to eat over a delicious meal someone else cooked that you couldn't meticulously measure every piece of?

I'm not at this point but sometimes I worry that I'll get there, especially as I near the last 10 lb until my goal, where everyone says "more accurate more accurate you gotta be more accurate it's harder now at the end!"

By the time I got to the end of my weight loss, I had added or corrected just about all the foods I eat, so it really wasn't even a thing.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I did in the beginning... But now where I'm at, I know most everything I eat is prelogged somewhere in my meals so it's a lot easier.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Nah, but I tend to eat the same things over and over again. I have entered/corrected my own entries--I'm that lunatic who keeps empty wrappers in her purse until she can devote a minute to logging.

Until recently, I would just enter data from other restaurants. Now I don't worry so much--I just get what I think is a fairly lean choice and don't log it or complete the day's diary.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yep. All the time.

Well, not "all" the time, YKWIM.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    No. Life is too short to eat bad food.
  • newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    Options

no because I will put in the extra effort to accurately log the foods I LIKE and really WANT even if that means doing research past mfp database. my weight loss is worth it. this journey was never going to be easy.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    tibby531 wrote: »

I do the same thing. :)

lol me too. lol
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

I eat dinner at my mom's house regularly and I know that I've blown that day's deficit on several occasions. I'm not going to turn down that food in favor of eating something I know precisely. I have a life outside of my weight loss.

As for the last 10 pounds thing: Yes, you do have to be more accurate if you want the weight to come off consistently. But I have gone from obese to 6 pounds above goal and I know I'm working on vanity pounds. I was much more restrictive in the beginning. As long as I'm in a deficit most of the time, I don't worry about going over. The weight is coming off slowly, but I don't feel like I'm losing out on social gatherings, so it's fine.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Even if you eat something that has it's nutrition information published doesn't mean that information is correct.

So deconstructing and estimating a meal every now and then probably isn't going to do much harm.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Nope, I accept that there will be some inaccuracies and just do my best.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope, I try to be as accurate as possible.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options

I eat dinner at my mom's house regularly and I know that I've blown that day's deficit on several occasions. I'm not going to turn down that food in favor of eating something I know precisely. I have a life outside of my weight loss.
    Hah this is preciesly my problem when i visit my parents and my dad cooks something delicious.
    As for the last 10 pounds thing: Yes, you do have to be more accurate if you want the weight to come off consistently. But I have gone from obese to 6 pounds above goal and I know I'm working on vanity pounds. I was much more restrictive in the beginning. As long as I'm in a deficit most of the time, I don't worry about going over. The weight is coming off slowly, but I don't feel like I'm losing out on social gatherings, so it's fine.
    This is comforting, thank you. Dunno why I'm freaking out about vanity pounds, I guess I'm still in the "coming to terms with the weight loss slowing" phase.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I usually try to stick to restaurants that are in the database, and use the same recipes over and over because I've already created them in the recipe builder. Sometimes when I'm bored, I'll import interesting recipes just so it's one less step to do if I decide to actually try them out.

I guess if I really wanted something from a restaurant badly, I'd try to estimate is as best I could, but I'm not really a foodie so I tend to go for what is easier most of the time.
  • RoadBike777
    RoadBike777 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No, if I can't find it in the database i add the next closest thing.