Low Squat with lighter weight or heavy weight but parallel? Also Qs about muscle hypertrophy

Options
2»

Replies

• jimmymacdonald2014
    jimmymacdonald2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    I would ditch the smith machine and try some goblet squats to begin with. You aren't limited to one or the other either. Do a few sets of full squats with a lighter weight and do some heavier sets to parallel. Same or different day depending on your schedule and routine. Either way, just make sure you're progressing in weight or reps and you'll get stronger

Thats very good advice! Goblet squat is a great mechanics builder. Smith machine is a very dangerous way to squat. You are locking yourself into that range of motion and forcing your body to adjust to the machine.
  • AlexSanders19
    AlexSanders19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    To answer your first question, there is no right or wrong between the two squats. It's a preference. On the other hand, if you take part in a particular sport one or the other might play more in the favor of that sport. For example, athletes that play football, rugby, or wrestle would benefit more from deeper (quad focused) squat due to the fact that the lower squat stretches their hips and puts them in a position that prepares them for certainodd positions they may encounter. For athletes like powerlifters a parallel squat (glute and hamstring focused) will be better due to the strength in the glutes. Hitting parallel or just below it keeps the tension on the hamstrings and glutes as opposed to the deep squat which places a majority of the tension on the quads. In the pursuit of fitness I say just do both.

• AlexSanders19
    AlexSanders19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also, the Smith machine is fine to workout on but try using a free bar. You may need to lower the weight but getting used to that will come in handy when you are trying to get stronger.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi, do you only do regular squats?

Let me tell you I have a 10 years old injury on my LCA,on my right knee and before I could properly train my legs I did one leg exercises a lot and now I can do a parallel squat with 55 kgs, of course,when I wanna go lower I lower the weight,eventually i catch up,but I'm not a fan of going too low, you may wanna try the free rack cos it's different, of course try it with less weight at first.

I recommend you try sumo squats as well,those do wonders,or well,have done for me, I had no butt whatsoever!!!
  • Bellchick91
    Bellchick91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the help! I've started to use the squat rack AS WELL as the smith machine - to get the feel for it, and smith machine to build strength. Also doing some mobility work to get lower. Thanks!!!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Nice!

Great advice here. I'm just doing bodyweight (mostly), but wanted to share 2 things have helped me improve my form. (I've done the squat kind of badly until now):
    - Using a swiss ball against a wall - this puts my chest out, butt back, knees tracking right. It's not 100% ideal because I am still obviously somewhat leaning against the ball, thus not so much engaging the core, but it's helping me with the overall feel of things
    - This instructional video on the box squat, which is another good introductory squat. (I do it with a 15 or 20 lb bar.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue_GrU4mhqc
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    I would ditch the smith machine and try some goblet squats to begin with. You aren't limited to one or the other either. Do a few sets of full squats with a lighter weight and do some heavier sets to parallel. Same or different day depending on your schedule and routine. Either way, just make sure you're progressing in weight or reps and you'll get stronger

Thats very good advice! Goblet squat is a great mechanics builder. Smith machine is a very dangerous way to squat. You are locking yourself into that range of motion and forcing your body to adjust to the machine.

I am also a big proponent of goblet squats and then front squats when you are ready to move to a bar. I find having the weight in front of me helps me stay more upright. That can vary and find what is more comfortable for you. I also squat very deep so my butt touches my ankles. I actually found this way takes pressure of my knees and allows me to maintain my form much better.