Vacation Help

Options
I've just begun losing 2 pounds a week and have a long way to go. Our beach vacation is soon and I am nervous! My goal is to continue losing, but I suppose I'd be satisfied with maintenance. Please give me your best vacation advice. Thanks!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Be conscientious and use moderation, but most important. Have a good time, cuz.....vacation!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    I started here mid-Feb with a goal to lose as much weight as I could on a NET 1250 cal diet by mid-June ... 4 months. I didn't really have a weight number in mind until I got to about mid-May and knew what would be possible.

I stuck firmly to that goal and lost 15 kg. :)

And then, mid-June ... I went on holidays. :smiley:

While I was gone, I ate whatever I wanted to eat, and lots of it. But I also exercised a whole lot. In 3 weeks, I cycled about 390 km, including riding a century one day (161 km = 100 miles). I walked about 64 km, including a 9.5 km hike to the top of a mountain. And I went sea kayaking!

Losing the weight prior to going on holiday allowed me to do those things much more easily than I would have if I had not lost the weight.

I hoped I would not gain more than 5 kg, and I estimated that I might gain 2.5 kg, which would be all right. The day after I arrived home, I had gained 2.5 kg, but the next day I dropped 0.5 kg, and the following day I dropped 0.6 kg ... so I think some of that was water weight. A total gain of about 1.5 kg is not bad at all. :) And since mid-Feb, I have still lost 14 kg.

Now I'm taking a couple weeks to ease back into it again, and in a couple week's time, I'll be back onto a NET 1250 cal diet until the end of September when I'll reassess the situation.

The point being ... relax, enjoy yourself, but don't go too crazy ... and do more exercise. If you're at the beach, walk, swim, cycle, kayak. Take every opportunity to get out there and be active. :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't restrict. If I want to try something, I do. Travelling means trying new food.
    That said, I typically try to eat "good" for two meals, usually breakfast and lunch. I've been doing this long enough to know what I can eat and keep my calories in range. I'll eat my usual foods or I'll try new foods that I know will be on the lighter calorie side. Then for one meal, usually supper, I eat whatever.
    Plus, I stay active on my vacations.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I loosen the reins on vacation a little bit, but still try to make smart choices most days and eat at maintenance calories. For example, I make my own breakfast and lunch to keep track of the calories but will have grilled fish, veggies, water, and a yummy dessert, or a delicious entree and split dessert with someone. I try to walk around as much as possible. Usually, I gain a pound or two and that seems to be water weight and drops within a few days of returning home. One of my guiding principles when it comes to vacation eating is, "Can I get this type of dish back home?" If not, I splurge and enjoy!

Have a great time on your vacation!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    debubbie wrote: »
    I loosen the reins on vacation a little bit, but still try to make smart choices most days and eat at maintenance calories. For example, I make my own breakfast and lunch to keep track of the calories but will have grilled fish, veggies, water, and a yummy dessert, or a delicious entree and split dessert with someone. I try to walk around as much as possible. Usually, I gain a pound or two and that seems to be water weight and drops within a few days of returning home. One of my guiding principles when it comes to vacation eating is, "Can I get this type of dish back home?" If not, I splurge and enjoy!

Have a great time on your vacation!

YES!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I never log on vacation and don't worry about food. Usually when I get back I'm down a couple pounds. I find that I snack less and move more so some big meal splurges aren't a big deal. Have fun!
  • TheLittleGingerDoesWeightLoss
    Options
    Vacations are temporary. I wouldn't worry too much about it, plus I second @debubbie about whether you can get the dish at home, if not, go for it!

Plus you're going to the beach, unless you're a beach bum, then you're gonna get plenty of exercise. I know I do, with fighting waves, swimming, and playing volleyball.
  • alisonadame
    alisonadame Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Sounds like I need to relax!