Why me?

Options
My name is Kelly and I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in December of 2011.I can remember it vividly because it was the week of Christmas. I don't know why I had to get this awful disease and it's a constant struggle. I hate checking my blood glucose cause it hurts and I want to just be be able to eat whatever I want. Sometimes I do okay but Other times I don't care. I am 52 years old and was diagnosed at 49 as well as high blood pressure, low thyroid and high tryglierides, which of course meant meds. Six months ago I was put on meds for my diabetes. It has made feel depressed. I am also very tired all the time making it difficult to even have the energy to exercise. How do others deal with this awful disease?

Replies

• LilannB
    LilannB Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't have diabetes but my mother had diabetes and it was a challenging disease. If you are very overweight sometimes just losing weight is enough to reduce blood sugar so much so that people are able to stop their diabetes meds.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Instead of asking why you, you should be asking yourself what you can do to improve your health. Lose weight, get active, take control of the things you can.

Good luck.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who got off diabetes meds through losing weight. You can do it. It's not easy. In December my A1C was 7.2 and the doctor wanted to put me on a second medication. I've already been taking Metformin since 2008. I didn't start taking that 2nd med. Instead I managed to lose nearly 20 lbs and started running. My A1C last month was 5.8 and the doctor took me off Metformin all together.

I know having diabetes is downright scary but I want to let you know it can be overcome.
  • kgumby2002
    kgumby2002 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your response
    9wax originally put on Metformin but it made me really sick. I'm taking glipizide now. Please send me a friend request.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost weight more slowly than most MFPers. So be patient!

But I did it just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn. I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1