Eating back exercise calories?

Options
Hello,
I am having trouble losing wight even though I always have green net calories, is this because I am not eating enough?
For example: my daily goal is 1203 today I ate 1469 and burned 1097 and my net is 831
1203-1496+1097=831
am I supposed to eat at least 400 more calories?
I can barely stomach 1500 and feel really full already but someone mentioned to me that if i dont eat enough of what I burn my body will go in starvation mode?
HELP!

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    1. Starvation mode, as you understand it, is a myth. Your body will not hang onto fat or w/e if you don't eat those calories.
    2. Eat at least half of your exercise calories.
    3. But if you're not hungry tonight, don't worry. You may notice you want them tomorrow though.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    What are you doing to burn those 1097 calories? Odds are, if you're logging your exercise in MFP, it's doubling the calories you burned. Scooby's workshop has a much better calories burned calculator - http://scoobysworkshop.com/calories-burned/

I would re-calculate your exercise calories and go from there. My guess is that you aren't burning as much as you're thinking, so the actual calorie defecit is a lot smaller than you expect, which leads to slower weight loss.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Your exercise calories are very high, which is possible if you workout for a long time. But, if you get that number from an exercise machine, I would caution that they are grossly inaccurate. For example, when I do 8 miles on an elliptical in 60 min at 18-20 resistance (20 is the max), the machine shows that I burn around 1,200-1,300 calories but my HRM shows only in 700 range. I usually record less than 600 and eat back maybe around 400-500 of that. All these numbers with my age, height, and weight entered into the machine.

I dont think you are not losing weight because of inadequate calories, I think you might be overestimating your exercise calories. Eating just a bit less (100-200 per day) for a week or two might be appropriate and then adjust based on the result. This is just a guess as I have no information about your height, weight, BMR. By the way, what is your BMR? That would be the most important factor to determine if you are eating enough or not.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    kandell wrote: »
    What are you doing to burn those 1097 calories? Odds are, if you're logging your exercise in MFP, it's doubling the calories you burned. Scooby's workshop has a much better calories burned calculator - http://scoobysworkshop.com/calories-burned/

Good link. Bookmarked!