Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Dilemma re body fat percentage

2»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    What are you trying to accomplish?

A lean body with visible muscles.

Then you don't need...

Yes! I want a DEXA. Hopefully getting one soon.

All you need is a mirror, and a kitchen scale for your food. KISS!

PS Dexa isn't all that accurate, either.
  • baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member

Then you don't need...

Lol why must you kill dreams? I am sure it isn't 100% accurate, only God knows my exact BF%!

I have a mirror and a kitchen scale, they are how I've gone from (an estimated) 29.5% to 24.4% BF in the past 3 months. But tracking BF% and all that nonsense is just fun and motivating for me :smile:
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    What do you do?

You keep on losing fat, that's what you do.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

Then you don't need...

Lol why must you kill dreams? I am sure it isn't 100% accurate, only God knows my exact BF%!

I have a mirror and a kitchen scale, they are how I've gone from (an estimated) 29.5% to 24.4% BF in the past 3 months. But tracking BF% and all that nonsense is just fun and motivating for me :smile:

Oh, hey, I didn't mean to be a downer. Nothing wrong with doing the BF measurement stuff, as long as its not taken too seriously - if it works for you, keep on keeping on! :drinker:
  • baybeejulia
    What do you do?

You keep on losing fat, that's what you do.

Exactly!
  • baybeejulia

Then you don't need...

Oh, hey, I didn't mean to be a downer. Nothing wrong with doing the BF measurement stuff, as long as its not taken too seriously - if it works for you, keep on keeping on! :drinker:

Haha thanks :)
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member

How did you do it? Weight lifting???
  • baybeejulia
    edited July 2015

How did you do it? Weight lifting???

For the first 2 and a half months (thereabouts), I did cardio 6 times a week and Body Pump 3 times a week. Body Pump is light weights, high reps.

Almost 4 weeks ago (today is day 1 of week 4) I began Stronglifts 5x5, which is a heavy lifting program. You lift 3 days a week, and then I did cardio 4 days a week. In my first 3 weeks I lost 1.3kg and 1.1% BF. Definitely seeing amazing results with this program already and I will continue to lift heavy.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Awesome! Thanks! :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Regarding all that cardio while doing lifting - you should read the article in this topic which has links to the research.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33236090#Comment_33236090

Unless by cardio you mean walking for recovery.
    Because if doing hard cardio - you have no idea how much better your lifting sessions could be.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    hrhboo wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I would probably go with the scale just because you have 3 months worth of data.

But have you looked at those bf% example images. Do you look like 25% or 35%?

I'd go with the scales too. Making comparisons to images of others with the same body fat % unfortunately doesn't work so well because it doesn't take into account the % of lean muscle mass, water, bone mass, body composition etc.

fnosg1q6exhl.jpg

I'll take the first one, thanks!

^^ @Liftng4Lis thinks she's shopping ...laughssss :heart:
  • baybeejulia
    heybales wrote: »
    Regarding all that cardio while doing lifting - you should read the article in this topic which has links to the research.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33236090#Comment_33236090

Unless by cardio you mean walking for recovery.
    Because if doing hard cardio - you have no idea how much better your lifting sessions could be.

I change it up a lot. I walk, run, hike, do the step machine, do a CX Worx class (ab class), do a Grit class (like tabata). I enjoy all these things and don't want to stop doing them. While I know hard cardio can impinge on heavy lifting, that's okay. My goal, at this point in time, is not to focus on how much I can lift or how strong I am, but to lift heavy and reap the benefits of that (the most important of which for me is to lose weight). I'll lift as heavy as I can while eating at a deficit and doing cardio.

When I get to my desired body fat (17%), I'll then re-evaluate my approach to everything. I'm not sure at this stage if I'll want to focus only on lifting, or continue incorporating cardio.