Females only (sorry guys!)

Options
slhall0822
slhall0822 Posts: 128 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Warning for the curious guys who decided to click on this post anyway... my question is related to menstrual cycles... consider yourself warned... continue reading at your own risk :-)

Ladies, I'm curious, how much "water" weight do you generally gain during your cycle? I weigh everyday to keep myself on track and to gain a better understanding of my own body's fluctuations in weight; however, I haven't been very consistent on weighing daily and tracking my numbers until just recently. I'm trying to gain an understanding of what is an "average" acceptable weight gain during TOM. (While also understanding that there's really no such thing as "normal" and every body is different. Not to mention there are a bajillion other individual factors such as diet, sodium intake, fluid intake, exercise, etc., etc.). Any other long-time daily weighers that see a trend? Thanks for your feedback!

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I usually gain 1-2lbs in the week before, then I'm back down during.

Also are periods such a touchy subject? We're all adults here! :P
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ummm .. guys know this stuff because it is posted 2 or 3 times a week (if not a day)

anything around 5lbs for me
  • AMSmit88
    AMSmit88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I can gain up to 5lbs the week before which tends to stay with me until the week after. The first time it happened I totally freaked, but meh, I've realised that it's apparently just what my body does. I now just don't weigh in the week before or during as I just know it's going to be a weird fluctuation. I get back to it once it's all over and done with!
  • slhall0822
    Options
    While I personally agree with you that we're all adults, I know from personal experience that some guys (and even some gals) get squeamish as soon as you mention TOM... thought I'd save them the trouble :smile:
  • slhall0822
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    ummm .. guys know this stuff because it is posted 2 or 3 times a week (if not a day)

anything around 5lbs for me

Ha! Well, sorry for the redundancy. I don't frequent the forum boards on a constant basis. Thanks for your feedback! :)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Heck no, not an issue

it was more about the embarrassment factor when it's constantly on the boards .. if the guys aren't used to it by now they need to man up and get used to it :)
  • MelissaSchlaikier05
    MelissaSchlaikier05 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You won't believe but Im 68.5 kilos (water weight) and very bloated, during my week of a on coming period, straight after I've finished bang back to 66kgs! ?? So Werid I hate it!
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    What's embarrassing about getting your period? No one would be here without it.
  • slhall0822
    Options
    yeahfatty wrote: »

I agree. I don't think it's embarrassing at all... but I have dated guys in the past who freaked at the mere mention of periods and refused to walk down the tampon aisle in the grocery store. Thankfully my hubby could care less, but I was trying to be a little sensitive... plus I don't think it's very effective to waste the guys time with a period question, ya know?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I gain as much as 1 kg ... other times I don't gain anything at all.
  • nomad5326
    nomad5326 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Doesn't embarrass us anymore! Besides, who doesn't like tomatoes in season? ;-)
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    slhall0822 wrote: »

I agree. I don't think it's embarrassing at all... but I have dated guys in the past who freaked at the mere mention of periods and refused to walk down the tampon aisle in the grocery store. Thankfully my hubby could care less, but I was trying to be a little sensitive... plus I don't think it's very effective to waste the guys time with a period question, ya know?

They sound pathetic haha.

Also if you say to someone they can't look at something, all it achieves is making them want to look at it more haha (though I'm sure any guy reading that title will know what this thread is about). There are probably plenty of guys here that know how their girlfriends or other women react weight-wise to their periods and could answer your question.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Usually a few pounds, sometimes mid month I fluctuate high for a day or two as well. I've gone as high as 10 lbs up right before, but I usually lose right after so I take it in stride.
  • aussie_girl_del_runner_5
    Options
    nomad5326 wrote: »
    Doesn't embarrass us anymore! Besides, who doesn't like tomatoes in season? ;-)

You sir, I like.

I tend to gain about 1kg (2.2lbs) the week before, stay there during the cycle until about day 4 then it drops down to where I started.

• Sued0nim
    Options

Also if you say to someone they can't look at something, all it achieves is making them want to look at it more haha (though I'm sure any guy reading that title will know what this thread is about). There are probably plenty of guys here that know how their girlfriends or other women react weight-wise to their periods and could answer your question.

the only way to get emails read is to recall them *nods*
  • mcfattest
    mcfattest Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I gain anywhere between 2 to 5 lbs, but because I'm short it shows :( I also crave carbs like mad on during the days right before it... But then I'm not as hungry during it so I usually end up back on track. Don't get discouraged if it happens to you too, just continue on your path. There.
  • slhall0822
    Options

I had one ex in particular who was REALLY bad about the squeamish thing. And yep, pathetic he was... it was only one of the many reasons he is now an ex.

• CharlotteRose82
    CharlotteRose82 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I can gain anywhere up to 5lbs the week before, however much water I try to drink it doesn't really help either :neutral:
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    Generally 2-3 pounds.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    4-6lbs for me, I HATE the gain but love the loss stupidly!!!!